Phil Wood Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket Bottom Brackets

- 17 mm Proprietary Heat-Treated Stainless Steel spindle for maximum durability & minimum flex - Provided with Phil Spec’d tm sealed cartridge bearings in models for both 68 and 73mm BB shells - Unique trademark cupped flats for crank arm retention with a shell designed to seal out contamination - Wide bearing separation provides maximum spindle rigidity with cups providing 5 mm of added adjustment - Requires Phil cartridge cups & Phil installation tool

[Oct 13, 2010]
damian Faulkner

OVERALL
Strength:

Thought this was the best on the market

Proved not to be the best on the market,support was poor only replied to email after I purchased replacement part.

Phil Wood Bottom Bracket

Campag

[Sep 16, 2010]
jacek rudowski

OVERALL
Strength:

there is nothing on the market like it, never had any trouble with it.

cost

i have used these since they first came out. the lateral adjustment feature is really nifty, i once bought chainrings that had a different profile than the ones i was replacing, shifting it sideways was really easy. i have owned the shop tools for this product for many years. i once had the very rare cottered version.

conventional bottom brackets, klein bottom bracket & schlumpf mountain drive

[Oct 05, 2009]
Jesse D Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

longevity, adjustability

Initial cost, then after nine years, it becomes a strength.

I bought this WAYYY back in 2000. I originally put in on a fixed gear bike. I had the bearings replaced, after a couple years, and rode the fixed bear till 2004. I later installed the same unit on an Allen Wanta road frame. I rode this for two years.
I then installed the SAME unit on a Lemond Buenos Aires, which I am still riding.
So, three bikes, three states, (Arizona, Pennsylvania, Maine, and Arizona again) NINE years, same unit. No problems.

Sugino, Campy, Shimano

[Aug 01, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth

Don't look for the price anywhere soon--I bought the Phil Wood BB in the 1980s, and am still using it. It's a sealed BB, with not a hint of rumbling--in short, still smooth as silk

Variety of BBs over the years, but nothing compares to the PW BB

[Oct 27, 2008]
62westwallaby

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid and smooth.

none.

Solid and smooth. Use this on my fixed gear commuter. Effortless pedaling. I hear the durability is legendary and should last me a long time.

Miche pista bb, Shimano UN53

[Sep 09, 2008]
Morati13

OVERALL
Strength:

Bombproof

"Zero"

15,000 miles and never a problem. Pulled the BB out after 14,000 miles. Removed the seals. BB was still fully greased. Looked like new.

[Jun 28, 2006]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

can be positioned for perfect chainline, very low maintainance, immortal

Are you kidding?

Bought this gem to replace the inexpensive spindle set that came with bike and and had already worn out _thrice_. Expensive, but dealer assured me it had a five year warrantee on the bearings, so I took the chance. That was in 1986. So far it has outlasted that bike, the one that came after and is still going strong on my present bike!

It has endured mountain biking through dirt, mud, stream crossings (even totally submerged), commutes of anywhere from 50-100 miles a week, every week, or 15 years, rain or shine.

The only maintainance it has had is once a year I carefully remove the outer seals, clean out the old grease and repack with boat trailer wheel bearing grease and reseal.

This has been going on for twenty years and counting yet except for the grease, I have replaced NOTHING! it's still on the original spindle, bearings, everything and it still runs smooth even after 51,000 (that's Fifty One Thousand) miles.

Need I say more?

whatever came with the cranks I had at the time

[Nov 23, 2005]
bigbill

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, Quality construction.

Installation is crucial, let a LBS do it if you are not handy. If you do it yourself, buy two tools and tighten simultaneously, especially if you have an english bb.

I needed a replacement for the DuraAce 103mm bottom bracket that is unique to my crankset. Phil Wood was pretty much the best option and I have heard nothing but good things about the quality. Installation was a little tricky but was made easier by using two installation tools. Quite a bit of torque is required to install the cups, but they have stayed tight and noise free. Almost 6000 muddy commuting miles later it is still silky smooth. Wouldn't buy anything else. The 102mm campy taper would be an excellent replacement for a Chorus or Record.

DuraAce, FSA, and Campy bottom brackets

[Aug 07, 2004]
Ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Very robust construction. Light considering it's made of stainless steel. Highly elastic chainline variability with precision.

Need propriatary installation tool to install. Retainer rings sold seperately.

I bought the 111mm symetrical BB to replace my 102mm BB because I went from a double to a triple setup.

Record 10 BB

[Jul 18, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

The design. 3 piece unit. great adjustability. The 2 sleeves that are purchased separately are toally independent and can be adjusted in or out to any desired point (within reason). Servicability though I have never had to service them.

They are a little pricey but in this case you truly get what you pay for.

My Bianchi came with old 111 mm pista bottom bracket. It was getting hard to find the parts to continue running it so I opted for the Phil Wood Stainless symetrical bottom bracket. It really eliminated the noises from the crank area of that old bike. It also has lasted quite well. It has over 10000 miles on it and no service has been needed. I am installing a new Phil Wood 102 mm BB om my Pinarello this week. The Campy bottom bracket makes noises like stepping on a soapy sponge once you start loading it up climbing hills or just pedaling hard. At 60 miles of a recent ride, some were asking what that noise was. That can't go on any longer.

Campy Pista on my Bianchi and Campy Carbon Record on my Pinarello.