Shimano 105 BB-5500 Bottom Brackets

Best Price At

#03050 As a direct descendent of Dura-Ace, no other road component group provides the same cost-performance value as Shimano 105. The 8-spline interface between the BB and crank arm forms a strong highly rigid connection that reduces ...

[Jun 14, 2011]
kadima18

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to install,extreme reliability,maintenence free,smooth frictionless spin,price

outstanding durability and smooth spin since 2005!!all weather rides , multiple chain,ring and cassette changes,200 miles a week without incident.

all sorts of sealed bearing unserviceable bottom brackets

[Apr 24, 2011]
Terry

OVERALL
Strength:

durable, maintenance free

Eventually with rainy rides, grime builds up requires it to be cleaned and re-tightened.

I am randonneur and thus have put many miles on my Trek 2200. Original shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket still working after almost 10 years. Had to have it cleaned and tightened up a couple of times to eliminate the clicking that eventually occurs when grime builds up. Several years between each maintenance of bottom bracket, I have had to replace chain ring and cassette twice in comparison. Seen lots of rain when the standard brevets (rides) range from 125 miles to 375 miles. Advice: get the tools to learn how to maintain BB yourself. Use medium loctite on the threads. Tighten to 360 in pounds. See instructions at www.parktool.com website.

[Aug 19, 2009]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, after over 20k miles am replacing it just because.

I have a Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket on a 2000 Trek 520 touring bike. This set has functioned flawlessly for nearly 10 years and well over 20k miles of riding. I suspect that many of the problems of other posters are caused by flawed installation, rather than a defect with the bearings. After, your car wheels run on sealed bearings, with much higher stresses these days - when was the last time you had them repacked? I cannot believe that a 180 lb rider can destroy these bearings. Best.

Campy Veloce outboard bearings, numerous regular cup and ball setups.

[Mar 01, 2008]
rideinhumboldt

OVERALL
Strength:

For the bb? None.

Low quality bottom bracket, apparently very prone to grittyness and creaking. I'd avoid the 105 Hollowtech bb like the plague.

My Felt F75 came with a 105/ultegra mix (the bb is 105), that has been a LOT of trouble for me, and I've only had the bike a month. After 200 miles, the freehub body blew up, and now at 300 miles, the bb is clicking badly. I had my shop tighten down the bb, which took care of the problem for about 3-4 miles, but the clicking came back with a fury after about 2 miles out of the saddle, and I'm only 170 lbs. I was going to have the bracket taken apart, re-packed, and assembled again, but after reading everyone else's reviews, I'll take up the shop's offer to warranty the product (though all that means is another 105 bb for me). Everything else with the drivetrain is great, however; it shifts like a dream and runs very quietly when it's working right.

None; this is my first "modern" roadie.

[May 07, 2007]
JohnnyTooBad

OVERALL
Strength:

?? I would say cheap, but an Ultegra BB is the same price. Got a few good years out of it.

Like others have said, it doesn't keep the grit out. My bike has seen it's share of wet rides.

I commute on my roadie, as well as weekend rides. I put somewhere around 3500-4000 miles on the stock bike with a mix of 105 and Ultegra componenets. I've been getting clicking and a gritty feeling in the BB for a year now. I've taken it off and tried to clean it up a few times. Usually, it would help for a ride or two, but this last time, it was worse after the cleaning(?). So, time to swap it out for an Ultegra BB. Being 195lbs and averaging 18-21mph per ride, I guess it's held up okay.

None. It's my first road bike.

[Oct 13, 2006]
edvars

OVERALL
Strength:

I do racing, and put a lot of stress on the BB powering up short climbs, so i guess the BB did it job well for at least two years.

Doesn't last to long

After two years the BB are starting to develop a wery slight play(allmost nothing), but I guess I will replace it this winter anyway. Have only had it out once for regreasing, and a anual check.

Race Face,XT,FSA

[Dec 17, 2005]
tvphobic

OVERALL
Strength:

Functions

The seals allow grit in. Take a look at the way the BB shell overlaps the seals.

Fine but fairly gritty after 1700 miles despite very little rainy riding. I think this BB is definitely more susceptible to permanent grittiness than the previous square taper BBs. I have put a similar number of miles

BB-6500, UN-72, Campy AC-H, Athena

[Oct 05, 2005]
Jacksonmw

OVERALL
Strength:

Seemed good, with no perceptable flex etc

May not be very durable

Came standard on Shimano 105 equipped GT zr2.0. The bracket has started creaking on most power strokes at 2500 km, which is not a good sign. I have removed, cleaned and greased the seals, but as it is a sealed unit I can't do much internally. Useage would not be considered excessive, and I would be disappointed if it was shot after a relatively short life.

[Nov 01, 2004]
N2GLOCK

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent part for the price.

Went bad at 1300 miles. Reason unknown so therefore I won't knock on it too hard.

My Specialized Roubaix 27 came equipped with the entire 105 groupo, so naturally that included the bottom bracket. I recently had it replaced at 1300 miles because it was making noise. I do not know if I got stuck with a bum bb form the start or if it's because my style of riding. I am heavy at 195 lbs. and I am no conservative when it come sto riding. I sprint alot and I stand up on the pedals while climbing. Jim at Burbank Bike Shop relaced my bb with an Ultegra unit for 10 dollars total because I purchased the bike from him in July. What a great guy. Anyways, I have to honestly say that I cannot tell a difference in weight between the two, but the Ultegra unit is much smoother. The 105 always felt gritty to me.

[Aug 29, 2004]
notryt

OVERALL
Strength:

every bit as good as ultegra (using now on my new bike)

not as polished as ultegra.. but know one will see it anyway. and is about 25% havier (130 grams I think)

Dont know where these people are picking up the factory seconds: Im 200 lbs and a sprinter.. if that dont put stress on a bb then (who knows) I dont know if these are any good for off roading.. but i ride everyday.. unless its snowing or a storm.. including in the rain and fog. after 2 years the bb performs as new. not even the slightest play. so I can safely give it the 5000 mile ok. i never had the water or creaking problem.. but then i always use lithium grease where the post come out of the bottom bracket. If you want to use a 105 bb go ahead.

ultegra