Campagnolo Chorus Cranksets

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 16, 2010]
    dclars

OVERALL
    Strength:

Pretty

Chinese quality in an excessively expensive product. Terrible customer service. Campy does not stand behind their products. Beware before you spend your hard earned $.

Purchased new from LBS, low miles, broke clean in half during a ride, never abused or crashed, LBS mechanic and owner even commented that it looked like a defect in the casting, they sent to Campy which took about 4 months to get a response, apparently Campy won't replace because they don't make that style any longer. WOW! I nearly crashed, tore up the tips of my SIDI shoes and Campy won't back their product. Very dissapointing. I've run Campy on all my bikes for the last 30 years and have thousands of mile on other components with no troubles. Apparently Campy no longer values their loyal customers or stands behind their defective products. I believe I'll be parting ways with the current Cheap Campy products from now on. If Campy wants to lose a loyal customer over a couple of hundred dollars or so, so be it. SRAM and Shimano here I come.

Shimano, Raceface

[Oct 30, 2007]
    phorapples

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, aesthetically stunning, fast and precise shifting

clear coat chips easily, proprietary bolt circle diameter.

This is for the standard (non-compact) Carbon Ultra Torque:

The crankset looks and functions wonderfully. The arms seem stiff to me and the chainrings shift great. Changing from an ISIS drive FSA to the Chorus UT made my whole bike feel way stiffer. The set-up is really simple. The tension bolt that pulls the two arms together does require and extra long Allen wrench to achieve the required torque - or you can use a combination of wrenches.

My only complaint is about the clear coat, which has developed some chips in.

Mirage triple with square taper BB, FSA Gossamer with ISIS BB, Dura Ace 7800.

[Feb 07, 2005]
    flythebike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, strong, attractive, great road feel.

Price

This review is for the carbon version. My understanding is that it is the same as Record, except for the decals, so if you want to pay ~$150-$200 less and get the same thing get the Chorus. I also have an FSA carbon crank, a compact crank, for my cross bike, so it is interesting to compare the differnce. The FSA is wider (not thicker) and has lots of torque that is immediately noticeable. What is noticeable about the Campy carbon is not so much what you notice as what you don't. It feels the same as the Record alloy crank I had, until you start to go fast. Then you notice that your efficiency is better, your power transfer is better, it takes less energy to spin the crank because it is lighter, and it is more comfortable because it mutes vibration. One of my feet was shattered in a car accident so this is no small matter to me. It looks beautiful and I hope it holds up as well as other Campy cranks that I have had. Paired with a Phil Wood Ti BB, it is a nice, light, strong set-up. The only thing better IMHO would be a (new 397 gram) Zipp crank. I would pick this over that FSA Mega-Exo, because I already had the ~$200 BB, and while I like FSA, Phil and Campy have been doing this for a long time, and I think they know what they're doing.

FSA Compact Pro Elite Carbon

[Sep 19, 2003]
    sde21

OVERALL
    Strength:

Low Q-factor, stiff, beauty.

Only goes with Campag BB which is not durable.

Looks great, very good value for money(cheaper than Ultegra at the time I bought the chainset), stiff, lightweight, has Record chainrings, low Q-factor.

Ultegra, Stronglight, Suntour Superbe Pro.

[Mar 30, 2000]
    craig

OVERALL
    Strength:

GREAT FINISH, STRONG, LIGHTWIEGHT, ITALIAN.

NONE

AWESOME PRODUCT, WELL WORTH THE MONEY, WILL LAST YEARS LONGER THAN ANYTHING FROM SHIMANO.

DURA ACE, ULTEGRA.

[Apr 09, 2000]
    Jesse

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, low profile, nice looking, pretty light

none so far

these are very nice cranks. they are significantly stiffer-feeling than my old veloce ones, and they have a lower Q-factor. they are also much better looking than lower end campy cranks and anything from shimano.

Campy veloce

[Apr 08, 2000]
    SteveS

OVERALL
    Strength:

Beauty, durability, function

may be a tad heavier than some

This is an older version crankset than the current models so the newer versions are no doubt lighter. This really is a great crank, especially the curved crank arms that allow someone who is splay-footed like me to pedal without their heels hitting the crank, something that has happened on every other crankset that I have used. Campagnolo is argueably prettier than the competition and since the crank is a focal point on a road bike, a point to consider if aesthetics mean anything to you. This was a good purchase.

Shimano Dura Ace and Ultegra

[Apr 19, 2001]
    Pete Rhodes

OVERALL
    Strength:

Low Q Factor, sweet finish. Relatively light. No flex, but keep in mind I weight 135lbs at my heaviest. Threads on cranks are well done and not worries about stipping them out.

Can only use campy BB. Special taper eliminates most aftermarket choices. however since I am not a big fan of the aftermarket stuff this isn't really a weakness in my mind

I like these cranks a lot. They are not super expensive. The finish is still gorgeous on them even after two years. I think the poster that has broken two sets of these really needs to pay proper attention to the Torque settings in the manual. Campy STRONGLY recommends you follow the torque setting listed. I bet people over tighten them and split the crank. (my 2 cents)
    I firmly believe with these cranks there is very little need to go to Record. You only save a few grams and spend a great deal more.
    I'm betting these cranks will last my lifetime.

Ultegra, American Classic, 105

[Jun 12, 2001]
    Andrew McLaren

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, great finish, high quality chainrings

After 2 1/2 years these still work great, finish is good, might think about replacing the 39 ring soon but that's par for the course. Glad I went with Chorus, I once spent stupid money on a pair of Magic Motorcycle cranks once and they're really light but pretty high-maintenance with really flimsy chainrings. Chorus Cranks/BB setup is by contrast pretty much fit-and-forget. The bottom bracket that goes with the chorus cranks is one of the best on the market. Campy really does design stuff to last, and these cranks are no exception.

Aesthetically, a lot nicer than the current Shimano cranks, The only shimano parts with as nice a finish these days are the Dura Ace 25th anniversary stuff, older dura ace had a much nicer finish, across the line.

Mechanically, Chorus stuff is just as good as Record. Don't really need to spend hundreds of extra dollars, what is it they say when you're actually riding it, "Don't look down!"

Shimano, Mavic, Magic Motorcycle.