Campagnolo Racing T Cranksets

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 16, 2010]
    pelligan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy shifting, quite riding,just the sound of the wind on the trails.You have to experience the campy group.

Are You kidding ? There are no weaknesses with a Campy group !!

This is a very quite smooth as butter group.It is very easy to change gears.Campy or nothing !!

Shimano Ultegra SL/Ultegra!

[May 09, 2007]
    Aaron

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works well with both Shimano and SRAM chains. Shifts even well even with a rather extreme rearing combination.

A tad on the heavy side.

This crank is just fine for riding the occassional charity and club run. It's not particularly light, but does come in a spiffy black finish. I did take the liberty of replacing the stock steel bolts with FSA alloy ones. Shifting is generally smooth. This crank will operate just fine with non-Campy bottom brackets.

Numerous Shimano, Sugino, Sakae, and Suntour cranks.

[May 09, 2003]
    dave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Built to withstand a lot of use, good quality chain rings.

Could do with a 172.5 crank length.

The Campagnolo Racing T is a great purchase for any regular riders wanting a high quality usable chainset. I use my bike for commuting, day riding, and lightweight touring. My set up is 30-40-50 with a 14-28 9spd cassette. It is very well made, durable and works beautifully, with nice crisp changes. When installing the cranks do not put grease on the tapers, behind the head of the bolt is the correct place for grease to enable one to tighten them fully. With a clean chain and good cables this chainset has worked faultlessly for just over a year for me, and is still going well.

Shimano Ultegra triple, XT, Veloce triple

[Aug 15, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

well made, strong, excellent shifts, looks great, it's Campy.

Zero weaknesses

The best triple made. At my age - 57 - I'm not going to be
    in the shape I was in 30 yrs ago - and I'm not going to get off and walk up a hill! When I need that small crank, it's there and I can spin my way on up. No complaints about the shifting. Absolutely solid. The racing t is super.

Veloce triple, lots of x2 cranks.

[Aug 13, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great finish, functional, Campy quality

I like to run a 11 or 12x23 or 25 and the Racing T enables me to keep the cogs nice and tight. I run a 39x53 with a 28 granny that may go for weeks without use but when you want it, you really want it! Campy just makes great products for the road cyclist.

Campy Nuovo Record, Suntour Superbe, Shimano (many models)

[Apr 19, 2000]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Allows a wider gear range without having multitooth gaps in your rear cogset. Nice for a lot of the 10-15% grade climbs we have around here. Campy quality and sexy Italian design.

I can't complain about the quality of the Racing T, if anything the somewhat sloppy shifting performance is inherent to all of them. Its a trade off, you can have crisp shifting with a 53X39 and resort to a 26 or 28 in the rear, or go with the triple and a narrow cogset. After six months with the triple I'm ready to go back to the double.

Stick with a double if you have to have smooth/crisp shifting

[Jul 04, 2000]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Reliability. Looks. Much better than similarly priced Shimano stuff.

Limited choice of ratios and crank lengths. And Campag are a bit naughty in not making it clear that some of their different models are actually very, very similar to each other despite the large price differences (applies to various components).

I have been using the '99 Mirage triple chainset which uses exactly the same crankset as the Veloce 2000 and Racing T 2000, but rings are pressed instead of machined (I think).

This is beautiful chainset that does the job nicely. You'd have to pay big money to get a lighter chainset that's made as well as the Campag.

I have sometimes noticed some creaking while standing up on the pedals but I haven't pin-pointed the problem yet - its almost certainly not a fault of the actual chainset. Any ideas anyone?

The Mirage/Veloce alloy chainrings could be a little better - they don't look as good as the cranks. I recommend TA if you need replacement rings - these are harder wearing and look gorgeous. I use a 53T outer ring, the Mirage front mech copes ok.

General point: If you didn't fit it yourself, its well worth re-positioning and fine tuning your front mech - you're bound to get better gear changes.

I recently fitted a second chainset (Veloce) because I needed longer cranks (175) - it was such an easy job because of the Campag build quality (by the way, ignore tradition and use loads of grease - the cranks will tighten better).

I strongly advise anyone who cycles in hilly areas to consider using a triple. There's no way I'd use a double, even though gear chainging is more tricky.

UK readers: e-mail me if you wanna buy my 170 chainset!!

[May 16, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Beautifully finished, has close ratios, 30/40/50, silent (I hate anything that creaks on my bike!), and the 30 ring sits there all year unused until I need to climb mountains. Then it gets used a lot!

The triple has a slightly higher 'Q' factor than a double,ie +1cm. It would be good to have a triple that was as narrow as Chorus/Record.

Beatiful chainset that makes gives me and my bike the freedom to climb in the high mountains. Of course if you don't need this capability or you are fit enough to climb like an angel with a double, then stick with one.

Chorus double, Shimano XT triple, Stronglight etc