FSA SL-K Carbon Cranksets

This version uses 130mm BCD 53/39 chainrings. The MegaExo oversize cartridge bearings are housed in alloy cups, and the BB spindle itself is made from super-tough CroMoly steel.

[Aug 22, 2019]
ffriedland

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looking and great performing crankset came on 2016 Tarmac. Just changed the changerings after 18400+ miles, some minor wear on small chainring, so no biggy.

Not as light as Dura Ace but close

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Jul 24, 2015]
Dan Waters

OVERALL
Strength:

None that I can think of.

Rubbish, falls apart. The metal insert the pedal attaches to came loose and FSA would not replace the crank. This was my race bike and it had less than 2000 km on it. I have Ultegra on my training bike and the groupset is onto its second frame (~40000 km), still going strong. Shimano all the way from now on.

FSA is junk. Shimano is bulletproof.

[Dec 13, 2012]
a894160

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearence, nice looking product.

Reliability, expect mechanical failure.

JUNK,JUNK,JUNK!!!! New bike came with an FSA SL-K compact crankset that looked very cool! On my forth ride, at 144 miles, the left side crankarm fell off while I was riding in a pace line on a moderately busy road. Seems to me that enough negative reviews of this POS crankset would cause FSA to address the problem. The only reason I looked at this forum was to find out if others experienced the same kind of mechanical failure. I'm shocked buy what im reading on this forum. I wish I would have read this review before I bought the bike. There has to be a consumer protection agency that protects us from products that have a high probability of injuring us. FSA, you better lawyer up. Dont buy this crankset, its a bad product.

[Apr 24, 2010]
TFC

OVERALL
Strength:

Performs to my expectations on sprinting and hill climbing, absolutely no DR rub.
Good looking, hard glossy carbon finish prevents shoe rub marks.

Over 6000+ miles, Bottom bracket standard mega exo still smooth, very stiff with absolutely no movement when hammering (6' 170).
Worthwhile tweek is to change to FSA Super Chain rings, worlds stiffer from standard.
A real Bargain Crankset

Campi

[Jun 10, 2009]
Todd

OVERALL
Strength:

It's cool looking.

Everything comes loose. Within miles. And with loctite.

This thing sucks donkey balls. If the left crank isn't coming loose, the outboard bearings are.

Also, with Campy Record 10s the chain drops between two chain rings and doesn't engage the small ring. It has to be thrown over to get it work.

Campy Record 10s.

[May 06, 2009]
cerveloboston

OVERALL
Strength:

?

chain slip with downshifting - basically if you cannot downshift safely the product is worthless

The FSA-SL Carbon crankset came on my new Cervelos RS (2008). I also had problems with the chain dropping from the large to small crank such that the chain would slip. It is amazing to me how any crankset could be built this terribly these days. I brought it back to the LBS and they swapped out the chainrings for ultegra and it works well now.

ultegra chainrings with FSA crank; 105 crankset

[Jul 07, 2008]
zrfarrar

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks nice.

Too much flex. Poor chainring design.

Had it on a Litespeed Tuscany and then a Cervelo R3. Had a lot of flex in the crankset and chainring, causing my chain to rub on my front derailleur - no matter how many times I adjusted it.

The chain would occasionally land on the chainring teeth, causing it to slip and then catch - UNSAFE.

Moved to FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue (octalink) and it's like night and day.

Ultegra, FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue

[May 24, 2008]

Strength:

crap carbon. No more carbon for me. Ti it will be from here on in.

Piece of crap! I've only had this crank on my new bike for about 8 months (about 5,000km).
The damn thing cracked from the pedal upwards!
No notice. Just got on the bike and notice the pedal was a bit loose. Look down and there is this massive crack!

Shimano, Truvativ

[Jan 14, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap carbon cranks but you get what you pay .

Need Locktite to keep crank on. Short life span.

I have had these cranks for about 3 years. Due to the number of miles I put on each year, I have been replacing them every year (luckily under warranty each time). I have broken these cranks yearly. With the amount of money being spent, you would expect a longer lifespan than what I was getting. I have had the metal sleeve for the pedal spindle crack on me a couple of times and I have had the carbon crack on me. If you are looking at this product don't buy it, either go more expensive and stay with carbon cranks or get aluminum cranks.

[Nov 14, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Look great, carbon dampens the road vibration, and stiff. can change to compact chain rings. Matches my stem & bars.
No chain suck....flawless.

none so far.

I was worried about the cranks coming lose via all the reviews but got a great price on it brand new. So I gave them a try...Now I have over 6,000 miles on them and they are still tight, no creaks and I have be over-all very happy with them.

Shimano Ultegra