Ritchey WCS Compact Cranksets

• Cold forged design focuses strength at the high stress pedal and BB interfaces
  • Excess material removed from lower stress center of the crankarms
  • Integrated fifth arm spider
  • Wear-resistant hard anodized rings
  • Specially designed shift ramps and pins allow for a wide gear ranges

[Dec 09, 2012]
Boris Foelsch

OVERALL
Strength:

Worked great for about six years.

Failed catastrophically, right in the middle of the arm. I broke two ribs. The thin section in the middle makes it light and, in theory at least, can still be strong.

Like any aluminum crank, these need to be inspected periodically. If you ride hard, you want to make sure your equipment is in good shape. Mine had a crack develop that I apparently missed, but you can see from the break surface that it didn't break all at once, but it was invisible enough that I got caught unawares. Ouch.

[Apr 14, 2010]
josephjcole

OVERALL
Strength:

cost, weight

durability

They say you can only pick two out of three: lightweight, low cost, durable. With these you are choosing lightweight and low cost. Mine lasted around three years and then the splines that lock into the octalink BB gave way. Leaving both my crank arms pointing straight down. It was a good three years don't get me wrong. It just seems like a crank should last a lifetime.

Shimano Ultegra, I'm now on Sram Rival compact cranks, decieded to go with cheap and durable... so far so good.

[Nov 24, 2007]
TFR

OVERALL
Strength:

compact gearing is great. I live in hilly area

these tend to loosen when torques per the manufacturers spec. need to tighten frequently and use extra torque

love the compact gearing. These have been good, except they tend to loosen- need more torque than the spec says. Were not too many Compacts available when I got these 3 years ago

1st Compact ever

[Sep 30, 2007]
blc

OVERALL
Strength:

None, since it broke.

It broke.

I broke the drive side crank going up a slight rise. Thank God I wasn't going fast. I only suffered a gash on my knee. Should have had a weight limit on these cranks, since I'm 200 plus.

[Sep 08, 2007]
Itch

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighter than most other products out, even products twice as expensive, and more durable

None so far

Great product, at 225 lbs, and major clims all around it has been a very reliable product. Having gone through two sets of FSA carbon cranks (Failures), these are lighter and more durable.

FSA

[Sep 08, 2007]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Are you kidding?

This crankset worked perfectly, until it failed in the most catastrophic manner - snapping in half during an out-of-the-saddle pedal stroke on a slight uphill rise. I was hurt, and damn lucky I wasn't killed. I've been cycling for 25 years and have never heard of such a failure.

[Aug 20, 2007]
Dale

OVERALL
Strength:

Has been working for 2 years with no problems, and it helps the climbing.

Not a lot of compact choice 2 years ago but have been very happy with it. I just recently purchased a new Orbea Opal frame and I did not hesitate a minute in moving it over to the new frame.

Shimano

[Mar 22, 2007]
boysan

OVERALL
Strength:

-Works well with a mishmash of components
-Design and appearance
-Reasonable cost for performance, durability, and weight

-None come to mind

At the time I built up my bike, there weren't too many compact options with a non-tapered spindle BB, but I'm still happy with my choice.

I'm using these with an Ultegra BB and Campy Veloce f/r derailleurs, and a Wipperman chain. This combo seems to work well together: no creaks, rubbing, or flex.

I also like how the crank serves as the fifth chainring arm like Campy cranks, and the blacked-out paint with machined accents looks cool.

[Sep 06, 2006]
Gary Panther

OVERALL
Strength:

Cool looking, reasonably light, inexpensive

QC. The first one never would work with the 53 tooth chainring. Swapped it to a 52 and it worked fine. The second one came with over-torqued chainring bolts (alu, with three being broken. On the first ride it bent the 53 tooth ring.

I have purchased two of these for my wife's bikes, one road and one tri. Both have had issues.

Shimano, White, Specialized, Sugino