Shimano 105 FC-5501 Cranksets

• SG-X Chainrings For Great Shifting Performance

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 16, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, nice looking, strong.

Weighs alittle more than the high end $300-$600 stuff

People that slam 105 kill me... Bought Bianchi Giro with 105 group after I had to economize when we had our first child. Raced for 3 years on Unizan Bank squad and stomped this thing daily. Me: 195 lbs with 175 crankarms... rarely in the small ring so I was putting alot of torque on this crank with my fat ass and I never once have had to retorque the crankarms in the 7 years and 42,000 miles on this setup. It is truely an amazing group for the money.
    Last race entered won 3rd in 4-5 road race against a bunch of 20 somethings here in Ohio... and I am 44 years old. Same old thing. It's usually not the bike, mostly the motor. Weigh a bit more than Ultegra or Dura Ace bit skip the Big Mac and you'll be fine.

Ultegra, FSA Carbon

[Jul 21, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

That I was not seriously injured.

This crankset is junk at best. Shimano should have recalled it.

Ditto, this thing broke on my first test ride. The spline contacts on the drive side crank sheered off producing a violent snap as I got out of the saddle.

[Dec 22, 2003]
    RoadDog

OVERALL
    Strength:

FASTEST cranks. Stiff, same weight and more attractive than Ultegra. "105" logo impresses ALL the beautiful ladies. Trust me!

Cheapo Chainrings.

Exact same crank as Ultegra with cheaper--really cheap-- chainrings. Swapped out rings for old Ultegra and works great. Stiff, lightweight hollowtech technology weighs about 650 grams. No noticeable difference from my Dura Ace 7700 cranks but I weigh 160lbs, never flex cranks. Why pay more? For status.

Ultegra 6500, Dura Ace 7700, Chorus 8spd.

[Aug 05, 2003]
    The Hill Monster

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, good for the casual rider

creak and pop when put to the test.

I do a lot of 50 mile rides on my bike. These cranks have a tendency to creak and pop all the time. The bike has been to the shop several times only to start creaking about 10 miles into the ride. I have tried graphite, Teflon, Teflon lube…etc. but they still creak and pop. The dealer told me that I should upgrade to Ultegra due to my size (6-3, 210). Maybe he’s telling the truth or just wants to sell more product. I don’t know. These cranks are probably fine for the casual rider, but if you power up hills and sprint with some muscle then I would consider getting a better set of cranks.

XT Hollow-tech

[Aug 08, 2002]
    sruane

OVERALL
    Strength:

39/53 chainrings provide a large useable range when paured with s 34-11 cassette.

This was an upgrade to the Nexave triple that came with the TREK 7500 FX. I had to use an XTR BB in order to get enough spindle length to get this crankset to fit the frame. I've ridden about 500 miles on this crankset, and it has been great! The shifting is much imprived over the Nexave triple this crankset replaced. The "octalink" 8-spline spindle holds the crank securely, and it has not loosened up in the 500 miles I've ridden it.

Nexave, Sora

[Jul 03, 2002]
    gothik

OVERALL
    Strength:

They are cheap but not worth the trouble. None! You can work on your one legged riding. I liked my sora better.

The cranks wont stay on. Got stuck out on 395 near Reno Nv with the non drive side almost falling off.

Dangerous cranks. They would keep comming loose and even started comming off. Stripped the inner crank arm. Plan on working your right leg with 1 legged sprints for 10 miles.

Sora, and now Ultegra

[Jun 04, 2002]
    directrealist

OVERALL
    Strength:

sticks into the wall if you throw it hard enough with just the right spin...

the entire product is a weakness

crank splines were stripped while sprinting under maximal power. i am a large powerful sprinter but still.. this should never have happened. shimano refuses to replace them.

dura ace for 12 years...

[Mar 06, 2002]
    bikenraider99

OVERALL
    Strength:

Spline bottom bracket design, relative weight, price, availability.

The same spline system, if you don''t really grease up the BB or the opening, you''ll get creaking.

Don''t notice any differences, other than weight, over the other grouppos. Good for the money.

Truvativ, Shimano, Sugino.

[Jan 31, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

-Splined interface with bottom bracker
    -rings shift very well
    -excellent value for the price
    -very stiff

-don't look as cool as Dura-Ace
    -not the lightest crank out there

This is a great crankset for the money, and there is probably not a better deal on the market for a quality road crank. The splined bottom bracket interface is lighter and stiffer (and easier to install and remove) than the old four taper design. The crank itself is extremely stiff, just as stiff as the Race Face crank I have on my mountain bike (probably the stiffest crank you can get for an MTB) and a lot cheaper. The rings shift very well also. The only drawback is that they look kinda chunky, not nearly as sleak and sexy as a Dura-Ace crank. But unless you are really into racing, there is probably no justification for spending all that money on DA stuff.

Sugino, Race Face, Kooka, and Shimano RSX

[May 01, 2000]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Value, weight, strength, good looks.

None, unless you don't like the Japanese.

When it came time to replace the small chainring on my old Ultegra crank, I got this whole crankset for cheaper! I already had a new 6500 BB around. They installed easily. Both the new BB and crank were noticably lighter than the old 600 stuff, and I am on my way to a 9speed upgrade for cheap. These get a 6 star rating on the value chart!

Shimano 600, circa 1994