Zipp Speed Weaponry Carbon Crank Cranksets

• Integral attachment bolts for easy installation and extraction, bolt weight 45g, weight of crankset with bolts, 420g
  • Five arm 130mm bolt circle
  • Designed to fit Shimano spline drive bottom bracket spindle 109.5mm
  • Available in 170mm, 172.5mm, 175mm, 177.5mm and 180mm

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 17, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

The carbon was strong, but when you use cheap alloy, the entire package is only as strong as the weakest material.

Price, carbon should last forever - stick with a trusted name and warranty.

Almost identical post to the prior rider - my right side pedal started to feel "mis-centered" and each pedal stroke was a "wobble" with my right shoe. After gingerly riding home, I went to the pedal thinking it was a bent axle, but sadly, the alloy pedal insert worked its way to the point the threading was so soft that the right pedal literally ripped right out when I pulled on it. Thankfully, mine was a lesser waste since they were ebay deals, but still - for a company like this, it is unacceptable for product failure so soon.

FSA, Dura Ace, Ritchey, and Truvativ on my other road bikes.

[Jun 19, 2003]
    jefftnix

OVERALL
    Strength:

ZIPP-ZERO!!!

Geez...what a piece of junk!!Doesn't even rate one star!

This piece of garbage should NEVER have been marketed. Pedal stripped right out of the drive side crankarm...the threads of the arm stripped right out! Then, when attempting to remove the crankarm, the integrated bolt broke right through the outer carbon fiber of the crank! I wound up having to beat the thing off the spline with a hammer and chisel! Never have I seen such a worthless product...of ANY KIND!!! Stay away!!

Campy, Dura Ace, FSA

[May 23, 2002]
    steve_gelder

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, no flex

Price, Ugly !!!!!

Old style dome type fitted with a carbon 55t chainring used for time trial only, no problem when on the rivet pushing 55*12 fixed

Dura Ace, Super Record Track, most from last 15 years

[Mar 12, 2002]
    Michael Lim

OVERALL
    Strength:

looks.

INSTALLATION!!!!!!! price. not noticeably lighter than dura-ace.

pain to install. must torque crankbolt so that crank doesn''t slip (if you don''t tighten, it is very easy for it to slip).

dura-ace, chorus, sampson (which cracked on me)

[Aug 13, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

- Lighter than Dura-Ace/Record
    - Very stiff
    - Aerodynamic, with my solid MDT chainring
    - Looks the business
    - Finish quality

- Needs a long BB axle

These are serious cranks for the serious rider. OK, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for - superb rigidity and lightness. I have found the finish superb, as my chain has come off twice and fallen against the crank, but there is no sign of wear.

The cranks need a long (115mm) axle; mine are the older design ('dome shape') - I wonder if the newer design can take a shorter axle.

Dura Ace, Record and various others from the Italian and Japanese houses.

[Dec 14, 2000]

OVERALL
    Strength:

This crank rocks. Really makes my bike look nice.

None.

I have noticed an extremely huge difference in my bikes performance since putting this crankset on. A great value at any price.

Shimano Sora crank. Shimano Altus crank for MTB

[Mar 31, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiffness, weight, wicked cool-looking!

Installation

I never beleived that my Shimnao cranks were really flexing unitl I tried the Zipp cranks. Just awesome! The Zipps are so stiff it feels like the cranks are attached to the back wheel- every fraction of a watt I can produce transalates into forward motion. The light weight should make any weight weenies happy as well. I am a heavy roder at 200lbs and can feel a great difference with these crank arms. Riders under 175 may not feel the difference as much but I would definitely suggest these to any other Clydesdales. The only problem I have had with these is installation. The Zipp slines are undersized (by design) and you must line them up exactkly with the bb slines and actually press and form the spline gaps into the crank's spline sleeve. If you are slow and careful it can be done fairly easily. Probably my biggest 'problem' is that I am not a mechanic....

[May 21, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, lightweight, awesome looks!

Instalation these things are tricky. You have to line up the self extracting nut up perfectly. And the price is a little steep.

If you are willing to spend the money for the best, here it is. Nohting is better than these. Stiffest lightest crankset out there. (how 'bout them apples). The first time you ride you will notice a huge difference in stiffness. I've never realized just how much my old crankset flexed under load. However there is a flip side. THE PRICE! 400 dollars is a lot for a crankset, no matter how cool. Also if you do decide to buy them I suggest you have them installed by a professional. You dont want to strip these bad boys out or you will be one sad little camper (or cyclist at least). Also for the first few months after every ride make sure they are tight. As you dont want these thinds getting a way form you. If you are passionate about the sport, I reccomend these to anyone!

Durace

[Jan 31, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super light, super stiff, super cool looking!

NONE!!!

Awesome cranks! Everything Zipp is great, but these take the cake. Never going back to non-carbon cranks!

Dura Ace 7700 (but can't really measure up)

[Aug 04, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

These cranks are stiff and light. The added stiffness in the crank and dura-ace b.b. actually created more flex in my frame.

I broke my drive side crank arm during a road race. 90% of the riding i have done on these has been for racing which means that the mileage is quite low. They should have been able to handle the stress created from racing much longer than they did. Think about all the guys/girls out there training and racing on the same cranks (shimano, campy) year round.

You take a big chance buying crankarms that are not made by campy or shimano. Thats just the bottom line. Imagine spending loads of cash on something and it breaking during a race that you wanted to do well in. Not fun. I have contacted the company (just up the road from me actually) and i guess i will see what they will do. Durability must come before anything else unless your getting it for free. They look kinda goofy anyway.