Campagnolo Centaur Groupos

• Centaurâ„¢: everything you always wanted and never dared to ask for. Top-of-the-range materials and technical solutions characterize the CentaurTM groupset, designed for those who demand medium-high performance and the most exclusive Campagnolo® look as well.
  • The new Ultra-Torqueâ„¢ system for the cranksets is also available this year in the Carbon version; Skeletonâ„¢ architecture for the brakes; carbon for the outer plate of the rear derailleur, the bottle cage and the Ergopowerâ„¢ controls: a class option at a competitive price.

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 04, 2010]
    ernesto freyre

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong cranks, picks up speed when you need to. Very solid crankset. Lighter and as good as record and super record.

The crank teeths is not as unique as Record and super record.

I am a retired racer from the 80, Got the Centaur crankset, Carbon Fiber, their weight is only 707 grams, which is as close as Campy record and super record, for a lower price. I find it very pleasant to ride with.

FSA Gossamar. TOO HEAVY!

[Jul 13, 2010]
    Rob T

OVERALL
    Strength:

Carbon cranks, carbon shifter. Very precise shifts. Value!

non

Just updated the group set on my 2002 Colnago C40 (2002 Record) with the carbon Centaur. The groupo is very impressive! Shifting is outstanding, looks great on the C40. The cranks and the bottom bracket are such an improvement over the 02 Record. The bike rides like new! The Centaur is such a great value.

Campy Record, Campy Chorus

[Aug 06, 2009]
    DrSmile

OVERALL
    Strength:

Shifting is perfect. The new style levers are comfortable, but I have to say I liked the old ones just fine and the new ones remind me too much of Shimano in terms of looks. It's still 10 speed, so compatible with a lot of other (older) groupsets. Costs a lot less than Athena or Chorus. UT cranks can't be beat. Compact 50/36 with the 11-25 cassette allows for a wide choice of gears. A lot lighter than older Centaur.

The new rubber covers on the levers are slippery when wet (old design was stippled and works better). Stamped chainrings look ugly. Skeletonized brakes are a b*tch to clean.

I bought this groupset for my Ti bike build, I wanted something still compatible with my 10 speed Record and Shimergo bikes. The ONLY drawback to this groupset is the stamped chainrings. Prior Centaur cranks featured EPS machined chainrings and these are an improvement, although functionally there isn't all that much difference. Esthetically I think these stamped black chainrings on the carbon crank look terrible. Carbon version of levers and cranks look spectacular by comparison.

10 spd Record, 10 spd Centaur (06),DA 7800, Ultegra 6600

[Jul 20, 2009]
    james_in_Italy

OVERALL
    Strength:

The Campagnolo quality, great looks, predicted reliability, and price point. Oh yeah, and did I mention performance?

It's not spelled "R-e-c-o-r-d". Lacks corrosion resistant finish and some other niceties of the higher Campy gruppos. Right side downshift a bit light.

I just picked up a Centaur equipped FP3 last week and put in a couple hundred kilometers so far.
    My previous bike was a mid-70's steel lugged, campy record equipped Raleigh Pro so the 2009 Centaur gruppo was a real leap forward. The bike came with Most (FSA) crankset & BB, but otherwise full 2009 Centaur. The gruppo is performing admirably and I love the new ergo levers! The braking is excellent. I ride on the hoods a lot and find a finger or two on the top of the lever is plenty under most conditions. I have flat ergo bars, and with the ergo levers mounted high on the bar it creates a flat 'table' to rest my palms on comfortably with a smooth transition on and off the hoods. The "light" shifting hasn't bothered me, and it seems to shift cleanly even on the uphills under torque. Downshifting (to larger cog) with the right lever does take a little getting used to - not enough and the chain will slip back down - but I'm already adapting to this.
    I originally wanted Chorus 11-spd, but the bike was only sold complete and Chorus was not an option. Having used Centaur a while, and comparing the tech specs, I'm beginning to think the differences between Chorus and Centaur may be many, but mainly minor. I find the upshifts very crisp on both sides, with no hesitation up and down the compact (50/34) chainrings. This groupset has adopted many features from past Record/Chorus models and all in all I'm very satisfied with Centaur performance. The Campagnolo quality, great looks, predicted reliability, and price point seem to make this groupset a winner.

Older Campagnolo Record.

[Jul 16, 2009]
    waterford853

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hood shape, brakes, build quality. Awesome value.

Almost no feedback from the right shifter on downshifts. The stamped big ring (53T) is loud (strange). At first, I thought the cage was rubbing...

10spd, 2009 Polished Set.

Coming from '96 Record, I was shocked at the quality of the group - the exception being the stamped Chainrings. Stiffer crank, rear der almost the same as the old record, fantastic brakes. In the forums, a member dismantled both Record 11 and the Centaur and found virtually no difference so I think they will wear just fine. No break-in time. Others have mentioned the light shift action and I would agree. I do miss the feedback from the old levers. I would like the more positive feel of the new 11spd groups, but not for the HUGE cost difference. This is as much as most riders will ever need or want. For most, overall score would be a 5, but I marked down for the stamped big ring and the light shift action on right downshift, only.

96 Record.

[May 04, 2009]
    mr_tim

OVERALL
    Strength:

Crankset is super, the external bb is very stiff and transfers power well with a lot less flex than previous std bb types. The new ergo shape feels good in the hand and offers good breaking power and better positions whilst cruising at speed compared to old campy shape

The shifts are poor in the ergos (light). I don't feel that the mechanism will last much past 20k as they feel poor now (5k miles). The groupo is not compatible upwards with the 11 speed kit, so you are on the edge of spending more with this groupo

Review of 10speed campag centaur groupo with carbon crank & new style shifters.

Cranks are the centre piece - no flex and very smooth continous spinning, absolutely the best thing about the groupset.

Front shifter is poor and weak in action, very difficult to down shift with.

Chain is probably the worst thing in the box, its heavy and clearly not to last. I've used it for around 4000 miles and its dead. Will definately replace for a stronger version.

Cassette is fine for price. Can't see why people spend more on the higher end items for the associated cost/weight.

The new ergos are amazing initially - the feel of the braking power on the hood and in the drop is great with good modulation onto the skelton brakes. The layout and position of the hood is very good with the third position being very useful for adopting a different position on the bike on a long ride to stave off stiffness.
    My gripe with these ergos (centaur) the weak and light shift feeling that is on the shift mechanism - it feels very light and imprecise. I run old style chorus ergos (10 speed) and they feel more precise and clear on the shifts. You know you have compromised on this part of the deal.

Do shop around - I got these for under GBP 400 which is 200 below other advertised prices.

10 speed chorus, 8 speed record, ultegra / da / 105 (older versions)

[Nov 26, 2008]
    CWILK

OVERALL
    Strength:

Crisp, fast shifting. Effort level to shift is is very light.

None that I can see. The only thing is, I am now considering replacing the Ultegra on my other two bikes.

I am reviewing the 2009 Centaur 10 speed with the Ultra Torque compact crank set. In a very few words, just love it. I replaced the 9 speed Veloce on my 2000 Bianchi Veloce steel bike. This new group set is light years ahead of the older group set. Not only is it pleasing to the eye, but the shifting and braking are excellent. Very quick and positive up or down shifting. Brakes are very strong. Installation was a breeze, no problem at all.

Ultegra triple and Ultegra compact

[Apr 29, 2008]
    Page Nicol

OVERALL
    Strength:

good looks, cost, bang for the buck

shifters

I bought the new 2008 Centaur with Carbon Crank and Skeleton Brakes. It was $500 less then comparable Chorus and according to the Campy website only a few grams heavier. The biggest disadvantage is the one I have read about several times. You can't shift to a smaller cog more then one click at a time. You can upshift to a larger cog 3 gears at a time. Works fine when you hit a hill and need to drop some gears, but not as easy in a sprint. Having said this, it's pretty easy to get use to rapid shifting and you know exactly what gear you are in. I like my Record gruppo better for this reason, but other then this the Centaur is just as good. It is very smooth despite being new, and shifts very precisely. The looks of the carbon crank and skeleton brakes makes it look like it is much more expensive then it was. For my money save the $500 and by the Centaur. If you really don't like the shifters, sell them on ebay and buy the Chorus shifters for $100 more. You will have an amazing gruppo that is just as good as Chorus for $400 less.

campy record

[Feb 25, 2008]
    Marcos_E

OVERALL
    Strength:

+ Fast, crisp shifting
    + Able to up or down shift multiple gears at once
    + Feel great in the drops
    +Looks good

- Smaller hoods are a bit uncomfortable
    - MSRP on it is pretty darn high
    - Compatible wheelsets are a bit rarer and more expensive than Shimano

This is for the 2006 Aluminum series, I got it as a New-Old Stock deal on eBay.

My initial impression when I first started riding was that of confusion. The ergoshifters are very different from the STI's and will take a bit of getting used to.

An ergoshifter has the typical two-part brake lever and then a smaller 'thumb' lever on the inside of the the hood. The thumb lever is used to shift up in gears, while the smaller lever shifts down. The opposite is true for the left-hand shifter that controls your front dérailleur. After taking a couple minutes to familiarize myself with the shifters I must say I definitely do prefer them.

The hoods are a bit smaller, so for some of us it may wind up being a bit uncomfortable I recommend combating this with some gel gloves.

Overall, I really recommend this groupo.

Just an older Shimano 600 14speed