Shimano Ultegra 6600 Groupos

• Continuing advances in human engineering technology stand behind road components that provide racing, sport and fitness cyclists with higher levels of control & response.
  • Ultegra components use the advanced functions of Dura-Ace including Hollowtech 2 and refined ergonomic shifters.

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 22, 2013]
    Alex

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough and durable, always precise shifting.

I'm using the 3x10 Ultegra 6603 groupo.
    Have used them for 2 years and around 8000km now and not a single fault from these.

[Aug 31, 2010]
    Stocman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Worked decently for about 2 weeks than shifting went haywire

misses shifts constantly
    needs works every 2 days
    makes noises

I'm an avid junior road racer, I put on around 250 miles a week. I work at a bike shop and have seen every 2010 group. I have to work on my ultegra stuff probably three times a week and I take very very good care of my bikes. For the price paid I can only say it is not worth it. My sram force bike is lighter, stiffer, and longer lasting. I have had to tune up the bike twice the whole season. My shimano stuff constantly misses shifts and needs work much too often. All i can say is get force, it works better. Your paying less money for a better, and lighter (for the weight weeny) group. Dont waste your money. Sram shifters can be rebuilt, if your shimano shifters break you need to get another set. My teammates who use even sram rival have less problems then me. GO SRAM

shimano 105
    Sram force (GET FORCE!!)

[Feb 04, 2010]
    CameronRacing

OVERALL
    Strength:

light
    nice to look at
    shape of the hoods

Love ultegra its been the best group set I've had so far

105 5600 and 5500

[Dec 06, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

The Strongest argument against buying Dura Ace.
    So quiet. So smooth

Not as Shiney as Dura Ace. Hard to build a fifteen pound bike with it.

Best deal going on components. I've raced road and cross on Ultegra 6600 and would not race anything else (unless it's on someone else's bill). I tried SRAM Rival for the Weights savings, but switched back after less than a year.

Rival, 7800 Dura Ace, 9 speed Ultegra and 105

[Aug 22, 2008]
    Jared

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough as hell
    comfortable
    smooth

Probably the weight, which people will inevitably compare to its big brother(or sister, are groupos female? Like boats and ships?)Dura Ace.

Buy and forget best describes this groupo. I had my Ultegra since September 2005. 3 years and lots of crashes later, it's still smooth and working! The shifters are the highlight of the group to me. They can be mounted really high on the bars, which provides me with a stable platform when I standing on my pedals. The throw is pretty short and shifting on a dime is easy. Overall I highly recommend this group for anyone who wants a workhorse group with a reasonable price.

Shimano 105 9 speed
    Shimano 600

[Feb 03, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

ergonomic hoods
    crisp shifting
    braking power and modulation
    best bang for the buck
    light (unless your favorite Park Tool is a gram scale)

narrow chain means you'll adjust your cables and replace your chain more often
    BB - I just don't like the outboard design
    finish quality on some parts

Excellent workhorse group. Lighter than its predecessor. Hoods are more ergonomic, which is something we can all appreciate. Front shifting is quicker. Ultegra 9 had snappy and precise rear shifting; now, it's more refined. Brakes have improved modulation and greater power. I dislike outboard BB's, and Ultegra is no exception. They simply wear out too fast, tick, and develop far more play than a cartridge. 10 speed is more susceptible to misshifts because of the narrow tolerances. You'll need to adjust your cables more often than you would with a 9 speed. The narrower chain also means you'll be changing it more frequently. I drop mine at 1,500; max, 2,000 miles. Finish quality is good on most parts, except for the front mech and chainset. The tenth click is nice because it keeps the gear ratios tighter. In my opinion, 10 speed doesn't offer huge performance gains over the 9, but is more refined and lighter. Honestly, I still find myself throwing a leg over my 9 speed equipped bike more often. It's better in the long run for a higher mileage rider. For a new bike purchase, this is the group level to shoot for. It performs superbly and is a great value.

105 10 and 9 groups
    Ultegra 9

[Feb 01, 2008]
    kristian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Still works the way they're supposed to work after a year.
    Reliable and responsive.
    Certain parts still look nice.
    Not very expensive.
    I like the stiffness of the cold-forged aluminum of its crank.

The chainrings and the cassette look slightly worn out, but it will still last for more than 2 years at least. Just keep your drivetrain clean and change your chain after 2000 miles.

After one year, in overall, my Ultegra still shifts like a charm. I switched to Dura-ace stainless shift and brake cables, and the shifts became even more precise. The brakes feel the same, but the cables won't rust as quick anymore at least. The crank spider and the rear derailleur still look new, but there are signs of wear with the other parts. The front derailleur just looks abit older, which is fine. The chain was already replaced once, and the STIs now have crack-like formations around the lever, which is quite common for Shimano STIs. At least it doesn't affect the braking and shifting performance. The front chainrings' colors are rubbing off from the teeth (gray to silver). The 10-speed cassette has also changed color from silver to gray, even if I tried to clean them thoroughly, but the performance is still acceptable. If you don't mind having a slightly worn-out-looking groupset, then the Shimano Ultegra 6600 is not a bad choice.

Dura-ace 7800, Shimano 105 5600