Coombe Pro Pedal Pedals

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 07, 2007]
    Brandon

OVERALL
    Strength:

The best pedal system I've ever used!

It looks like they are gone. ;-(

Bummer, bummer, bummer...
    I bought a pair of these a couple of years back, and they blow everything away. However, my cleats are getting loose now, and I want to reorder, but it looks like Coombe is gone. Major Bummer!! If anyone has any spares for sale, please let me know. Many Thanks!

Speedplay and Looks

[Nov 05, 2006]
    Space

OVERALL

These are great pedals which are currently no longer available. If anyone wants some tips on how to extend the life and usability of these great pedals, I've posted what I have done at http://www.caloriesmadesimple.com/Coombe/

[Apr 26, 2006]
    felsha

OVERALL

Well, they still have my pedals, so I'm selling my cleats- 1- 2 bolt and 1 4- bolt w/ extra detents on ebay

They really were the best pedal system going

Too bad

[Apr 25, 2006]
    rls2bike

OVERALL

This is an update to my February 28 review. Based on the last review this may be unnecessary since it appears that they have closed their doors. Even though I received no communications from Coombe, on April 13 I finally got a Visa credit for the pedals that I had returned back in Oct 2005.

[Apr 19, 2006]

OVERALL

Damn. Web site went offline. Real bummer, as their stuff is good.

Well, I have a pair of Millenniums, and a spare pair of cleats (unfortunately the wrong spacing). Probably use them for another 1-1.5 years and then have to move on when the cleats wear.

[Apr 17, 2006]
    ieddyi

OVERALL

This is an update to an earlier review discussing their business status

No response. It seems as though they've gone under. A certified letter was returned unopened. THe voice mail box is full

It's weirs that their website is still operational and apparently taking orders.

I've switched to bebop pedals which are the closest to the coombes.
    THey are good in terms of the float- which my knees appreciate, but are not in the same class as the coombes

[Mar 14, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

FANTASTIC product.

HORRIFIC to contact them.

Been using the Millenniums now for about 4 months... see my earlier review. They are truly excellent pedals. The Millenniums are more stable than the Pro pedals were, and the stack height is better.

I really can't say anything bad about the pedals -- they are the best I have ever used. They are very secure, they are very easy for me to get into, and I'd stick with them for years, if I could.

The two posts below, though, really worry me, as they mirror my experience. Any update from either of you?

When I bought the Millenniums I ordered 2 cleats: One at +6 mm offset, one at +1 mm, as they are not adjustable. When I last talked with Bill (back in September) he had just gotten back from Interbike and we had a good 20 minute conversation on everything, and I told him I'd like to order 2 pairs of cleats, and send the "wrong" one back in exchange for the one that fit better.

After the order process (which took 4 weeks to get, after I got the ship notification without tracking number), the pedals finally arrived. About 4 weeks after this I tried to get in touch to swap the cleats, but haven't heard anything back. I've left a vm, tried to leave a few more, and sent 3 emails, none with a bounce or response.

Hell, if Coombe were still in business but on the rocks, I'd probably buy $1K worth of the stuff so I could ride them for the next 10 years without having to look elsewhere. I'd rather not have to do that, but the front-office sense here is really, really bad.

Couple that with the fact that a couple years ago, I used to get responses from a couple other people in the company, but since then nobody answers anything. Is anybody still home there?

Speedplay, Time (back in 91-92).

[Feb 28, 2006]
    rls2bike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Even though I was not able to use the pedals for that long, they were very similar to the Speedplays which I like but they had a better way to limit the free float than the SpeedPlay Zeros which I tried. I liked the fact that you can move cleats back on the shoe by selecting a specific cleat.

Customer service. The binding problem but I really think that was my lack of experience.

I have been a SpeedPlay X2 rider for 12 years. I had damaged one of my knees years ago before I started riding and over the last few years it had progressed to severe arthritis. I decided to get away from the free float SpeedPlays and try the Millennium pedals. I got my pedals in September 2005 after talking to Bill Coombe. I really liked them, particularly because it allowed me to move the cleats back much further than I could with any other cleat, which seemed to help with my arthritis. But I had a problem with the pedals binding up and locking with my toe pointed in toward the downtube, which resulted in my falling the first time. I had the same issue several other times, except I didn’t fall, so I returned the pedals within the 30 day warranty period. Bill Coombe called me to discuss my problem. He seemed genuinely interested in trying to fix the problem and in helping me. He suggested that I try his Pro pedals since they had been in use a lot longer. I agreed and he sent me a demo pair. I assumed that I would be given a refund on the Millennium pedals but did not verify that with Bill at the time. I tried the Pro pedals along with several other pedal systems. After trying the Pro pedals and the other systems I decided that the Coombe pedals were the best system for me even though I had the same binding and locking problem. I decided that it was the way I was clipping in and that I could work through that. I returned the Pro pedals and asked Bill to send me another pair of the Millennium pedals. I wanted the Millenniums because I was switching to a carbon sole shoe and liked the way the Millenniums attached to the shoe, plus the Millenniums pedals provided a little larger platform. That was around the middle of November 2005. Bill called me and we discussed my request the last week of November. So I thought everything was going to be fine. It is now March 2006 and I still do not have my Millennium pedals. I waited to submit this review, wanting to give Coombe the chance to ship my pedals. After 8 emails, a fax and a priority letter I still do not have my pedals and much to my dismay I was never given my warranty credit refund. Like others have stated, you cannot leave voice messages because Bill’s voice mail box is always full. So Coombe Pro Pedal Systems has my $279 and I have no pedals. I decided to post my experience with Coombe Pro Pedal Systems because I had read all the reviews posted here before deciding to try Coombe pedals. My experience has shown that poor customer service is a very real issue in dealing with this company.

Time - 1 Year, SpeedPlay X2 Stainless - 12 Years, tried Shimano SPD SL Dura-Ace and SpeedPlay Zeros.

[Jan 06, 2006]
    ieddyi

OVERALL
    Strength:

LIghtweight, no springs, easy in and out

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Great pedals but their customer service is HORRIBLE I sent them a pair of pedals to gert reshafted on December 10th and it's January 6th today and I haven't heard a thing. Emails are unanswered and their voicemail is full I love the pedals, but am seriously considering alterantives ( I might not have a choice!!)

[Nov 27, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very secure and solid Low stack height No rocking as the cleats get old, like Speedplays

The ONLY weakness is the ordering process -- Bill Coombe did contact me directly and talk to me about my order, and spent about 45 minutes with me. Problem is, he said the pedals shipped, and they didn't show up for a month (after I got the shipment notification), and my 3 emails and 2 voicemails weren't returned. This made me very uneasy, as I've been ripped off on an order before. They eventually came, and I'm very happy with them, though Coombe's front-office decorum and business sense could really use improvement. I've experienced the issue before, though not as bad as this time.

I used the Coombe Pros for 2 1/2 years before moving to the Millenniums about a month ago. The pros are excellent pedals -- they feel a lot like Speedplays, except they don't develop the side-to-side "slop" that Speedplays get, as they wear out the sole of your shoe (or the adapter plate). The cleats on the Coombes are good for about 10,000 miles, in my experience. They start to "popcorn" slightly at this point, though they remain usable for a while longer -- they're certainly still secure. They feel VERY solid -- in 25,000+ miles of use, I've never encountered a problem. You're working with metal on metal -- no thin metal "spring," so accidental release isn't possible. I upgraded from the Pros to the Millenniums, because the pros use a 4-hole mount, so they require an older Time shoe, or one with a Time adapter, or else require you to buy a Speedplay cleat and use their adapter. This adds about 3 mm in stack height, and the 4-hole cleat is being phased out by Time. The Millenniums have a larger cleat, which is marginally more stable (the Pros were very good though). The Millenniums mount directly to the shoe via the back 2 screws of the Look bolt pattern (the front hole is not used). The cleats are not adjustable in any way -- so you need to know the exact offset you want. I am using the +1mm mount, which puts the center of the cleat 1 mm in front of the 2 cleat mount holes -- this is about 5 mm behind where I had formerly used the cleats, but I actually like it. Be very careful to do your homework before ordering the cleats. The mount is very solid and secure -- there's no way the cleat can move, short of a screw falling out (of course, as there are only 2 screws, you may want to think about blue (the weakest!) Loctite. All in all, very subtle improvements to an already excellent pedal system. Definitely preferable to Speedplays for me -- while they were good, they tended to be a bit sloppy for me. The only adjustment with the Coombes is learning to flick your ankle out and back in slightly when entering the pedals -- it's a bit slower (maybe 1 second, or 5 in a panic situation), but easy to get used to. As long as you're not a professional chariot racer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Speedplays, for 9 and about 100,000 miles years prior to the Coombes.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.