Look A-5.1 Pedals

[Aug 13, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

As a newbie to roadbiking and clipless pedals, I'm happy that they are easy to get in and out of.

Purchased:
Used
[Jul 13, 2007]
Sknyskiman

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearance, reasonable weight, and durability.

None worth mentioning.

I haven't found any problems clipping in and out of these pedals. Adjustment range is very nice too. After three years, they still seem to run smooth and no squeaking. I do lots of climbing so these pedals have taken a pounding over the years. I've been using Look clipless pedals since 1986, and their technology gets better all the time.

Look classic Look pedals (1986), Look A3.1, and Look PP??? (can't remember exactly).

[Mar 27, 2007]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Just way too hard to uncleat them even after 2 years of use. In fact it seemed to have gotten harder with time. May be due to the exposed spring.

These are the worst pedals I have used so far. Been using Shimanos and had no problems with them. Decided to change into new Look after the many years of abuse of the Shimanos (but with little problems). So damm diffcult to uncleat that it even tore the sole of my old shoes off. Am using a new pair of shoes and I can see that its about to do the same for the new shoes. Avoid these pedals at all cost.

Shimano pedals

[Jan 13, 2007]
Richard Penney

OVERALL
Strength:

stongest tension to hold you in

the spring loaded plastic part the holds the cleat to the pedal broke. I had it constantly set in at the higheest tension of 18Nm and I can only assume that the pedal was not made sufficently strong enough to cater for its own tension design.

I am a pragmatic person. If it does the job I like it, if it doesn't I don't like it. I had bought the A5.1 because they had the strongest tension I could get as I had pulled my foot from Look 296 pedals before and nearly came off the bike.
Pedals were great before I broke them, If pedals break under stress/tension they can be very dangerous. I would not buy these pedals again but I would buy the 396 pedals again.
I have managed to break 3 aluminium bike frames in bottom bracket area and my current trusty steel frame track bike has been welded twice in bottom bracket area. This is/was not due to rough riding (bumps etc) so I would assume I put a fair bit of force through the bike from time to time.

Look 296 and Look 396,

[Oct 18, 2006]
NZVET

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid construction that can take the knocks. No problems with bearings after initial replacement.

Just the squeak!

About 8 months after purchase the right pedal bearing started to seize. Was promptly replaced under guarantee. A few months later the dreaded LOOK squeak emerged on the right pedal. Tried all sorts to get rid or it but any effort was only temporary before the squeak would re-emerge. It must be contageous since the left pedal developed the same problem within a few weeks. Even the new delta cleats didn't help. After 2 years of persisting with this and having the unwanted squeak on many a ride, I've relegated the A5.1 to my spares bin and upgraded to DA SPDSL's.

Wellgo, Keywin

[Aug 22, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Bearings, Great hold power, releases when needed, looks good on my bike.

Could be a little lighter.

Good pedal for the money. I've had these for 4yrs and the bearings are still supper smooth.

Shimano, Richey

[Aug 11, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Positive engagement, very solid hold (red cleats on Sidi race shoes) promotes smooth 'pedalling round'. Appear well made made and look great in Ferrari red, matching the bike.

Even at the slackest setting they are hard to unclip, hazardously so in London traffic. I have used Look-type pedals for 15 years and still managed to stall and fall off.

Great once you're clipped in -- scary in traffic though.

Shimano PD-1055 Looks, among the best cycling products I ever bought. Shimano PD-747 SPDs, also wonderful. Ritchey Pro road, not very well made. Campag Corsa Record, beautiful and so light. Many, many others.

[Jun 06, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

I didn't really ride them long enought to see any other than the really solid feel and very audible and obvious click when engaging.

None, unless your knees are sensitive.

I'd been using eggbeaters with mtb pedals and decided it was finally time to officially join the lycra crowd. Most road weenies use Looks, so I thought I'd give their lower end models a shot. I started with the 247s, but the lack of any effective float left my knees feeling the burn. I took them back and exchanged them for the 5.1s. These are better with the adjustable float, but still not good enough. My knees still really hurt, so I made another trip to Performance and exchanged these for Crank Bros quattros which I love almost as much as beer. Anyway, these are solid, if heavy pedals. I have no complaints other than that they just didn't agree with my knees.

I also want to give props to performance. I know they're the Walmart of bike shops and they've probably put a few little guys out of business, but their customer service flat out kicks ass. I brought back two sets of pedals, one even without a receipt, and they exchanged them both with zero hassle. It was obvious that they had been used and I was honest about the reason I was returning them. Not many places will let you buy something, use it, then return it simply because you didn't like it.

Look 247s-even worse
Crank Bros Quattros-very good so far

[Mar 13, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Look's bomb proof bearings. Super stable platform. Choice of 3,6 or 9 degreees of float. Cool looks, black with red and silver graphics go great with my Look Carbon frame.

A bit heavy for weight weenies. Expensive unless on sale or mis-marked at a swap meet.

Couldn't believe these almost new 5.1's were in a box marked $25.00. I leave the tension at the lowest setting which still holds firm. I've had no problems with these or any Look pedals. In fact, the bearings on my first Looks from 1988 roll perfectly. The bodies are just trashed. You need to keep these pedals clean and put a couple drops of White Lightning or TriFlow on the tips and rear edges of the cleats from time to time. Then clicking in and out is not an issue. Overall a great, pure pedaling platform.

Original Look's, Teenie Weenie SPD's,
SpeedPlay Frogs (great for touring)

[Mar 01, 2006]
achiral

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid platform, good tension.

Bearing (axle) seals, plastic cleat retaining piece.

Before these pedals broke, I was quite pleased with them. Look's traditionally large platform was coupled with float adjustment and high cleat tension to create a nice pedal for sprinting. The lowest tension on these pedals (12 N-m) is the highest tension listed for most of Look's pedals - the tension adjustment on the 5.1s will go up to 18 N-m for rock-solid holding power. There were two significant problems with these pedals: 1) I had to repack the bearings every 500 miles or so to remove play between the axle and the needle bearings - retensioning was not enough. I haven't had this problem with any other Look pedals. 2) The rear plastic retaining clip snapped after approximately 5000 miles. I think that this can partially be attributed to the high spring tension on the retaining piece. Even though these pedals were out of warranty when they broke, Look's customer service was excellent. Since they did not stock the broken part, they sent a new pair of Keo Carbons at no cost. Although I like the performance of these pedals, I cannot recommend them due to what I consider a fatal flaw (the pedal snapped during a sprint...)

Several Look, Time, Shimano, etc.