Look Keo Carbon Pedals

Look has gone lightweight with its newly designed Keo pedal. A thinner, lighter carbon pedal body and lightweight chromoly spindle paired with a Keo specific cleat to provide smoother entry and exit with less wear. The cleat also has a memory tab to insure correct cleat replacement. Red cleat: 9°. Black cleat: 0°(FIXED). Wt. 115g. Lightweight carbon injected body, chromoly spindle, KEO specific cleat.

[Feb 01, 2012]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth, weight easy in and out

almost didnt buy these because of tarts that don't have a clue, I have a Felt Z4 sub 16 lb and wanted a new set of peddles, saw on other reviews that they make noise when they get wet, well I bust be deaf because they are silent in any condition

great peddles don't hesitate, I waited over 6 months of use and 1500 miles before I posted this, much better than shimano's only got smother with time

shimano ultegra

[Dec 09, 2011]
Jim Shelton

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, low profile, stiffness

None yet

This is my second pair of Look Keos. First pair were carbon/ti and, while expensive, I felt I got my moneys worth. Super light, low profile, easy to clip in and out, and great power transfer. After 18k miles, the footbeds were getting quite worn and I felt play developing so I retired them and bought Keo a pair carbon/cromoly. Not quite as light (of course) but satisfactory. With the addition of a metal footbed I will be curious to see how it wears. One question to other home mechanics: is there any reason I couldn't swap out the axles from my carbon/ti to the newer carbon/cromoly pedals?

Look 396's and Shimano Ultegra.

[Aug 12, 2011]
Andrew Day

OVERALL
Strength:

light, strong, responsive, comfortable.
Beautiful craftsmanship and a well finished off frame. Ticks all the boxes, even the ones that don't immediately come to mind.

Umm, scratching my head, Nope,can't think of any as all the boxes are ticked in the strenghts department

Recently purchased a LYNSKEY R230
Used to Ride competitively years ago.
Recently decided to get back into cycling and was looking to purchase a quality bike that was to be along term aquisition.
After ruling out a carbon frame and researching titanium, the name lynskey kept popping up.
It feels way more responsive and zippy than the branded lightweight bike I had previously. Also very comfortable. I initially spoke with the folks at Lynskey Performance (Don Erwin)who provided a 10/10 service in every aspect of choosing the right frame and components.

[Apr 22, 2011]
Blue CheeseHead

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight & price when on sale.

Wear of pedal and cleats. (deal breaker for me)

I tried these after using Keo Classics since the price was right. Smooth, light pedals. What disappointed me was how quickly the body wore. I used the pedals a little over a season and the body wore out where the cleat contacted it on the outside footbed. As soon as the pedal began to wear, it started to eat the cleats in that location as well. I have been riding Looks for the 5 years I have been cycling. I recently switched to Shimanos and would never consider going back. The Shimanos are easier to clip in and I expect the metal footbed will wear much better. Sorry Look. Nice concept, wrong material.

Look Keo Classic
Shimano Dura-Ace

[Aug 07, 2010]
Kevin Sweeney

OVERALL
Strength:

Light...but not worth it due to squeaking

Loud, constant squeaking. I have ridden look pedals forever and have never experienced this...

It was BAD DECISION to buy these pedals. Theses pedals squeak constantly. They are so loud that I can not ride in groups as they annoy everybody. I thought the squeak would go away after 10 hrs of riding. Not so.

[Feb 12, 2010]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

-Light
-Smoothest bearings in the business
-Looks sharp
-Close spindle proximity
-High resale value
-Solid engagement, w/ audible clack
-Much easier than Shimano SPD-SL release
-Lighter than Keo 2 Max
-No rider weight requirement

Cannot find a single fault.

I have the 2009 LOOK Keo Carbon CroMo, with the grey 4.5 degree/float cleats. They weigh exactly 230g a pair...precisely as advertised.

I previously had the 320g/pair Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 and the Keo feels much better, IMHO. The power transfer on the Keo Carbon is spot-on.

Crank Brothers Eggbeater
Shimano SPD-SL

[Oct 03, 2009]
Will

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight
Smooth bearings once they are broken in.
Positive Clip-in and out feeling

MSRP is expensive but a search online can find prices just over $100.
Cleats wear ridiculously fast.

The Look CrMo Keo Carbon is a lightweight good looking pedal. It has a solid clip-in feeling with an audible "click" that affirms you are clipped in. There is no second guessing whether you are clipped in or not, no sloppy in between area like some other pedals. The cleat release tension adjuster is easily done by turning a bolt at the rear of the pedal body. The cleat works great, but only when it is rather new. My grey 4.5* cleat lasted only two months until it was worn through the wear markers. I do ride most often in the wet weather which may increase the wear, but that is only my theory. As for cleat squeak, in a year I haven't heard a thing. The pedals have only been quiet and smooth for me, my only real complaint is the wear on the keo cleats.

Ultegra SL Pedals 6620
Noname Wellgo MTB spd-type

[Jun 15, 2009]
bigbrett1971

OVERALL
Strength:

ease of locking in,and weight

price

The carbon keo look are the easier of the pedals to click into the classic version can be a nightmare at times,the carbon version are like a magnet on your cleats

look keo classic

[Dec 19, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight
Silky smooth bearings
carbon material does not show scuffs
relatively inexpensive

None thus far

I've used these pedals for just a couple of rides now - a bit over 100 miles total. Here are my impressions: The bit of gritty rotation of the spindle - when spun my finger - went away after about 20 miles. Like most bearing systems this is normal - my Shimano 7800 BB became much more silky smooth after about 300 miles of break in miles. These pedals are light (noticeably as compared with my previous Ultegras) and have a very smooth spin. No issue with squeaks or other noise from cleats or from pedals under any riding condition. I clean my pedals and cleats after each ride and use cleat covers. Longest ride so far has only been about 60 miles but found no issue with hotspots, lateral rotation of cleat to pedal or clipping in and out.

I have the 08 model with grey 4.5 degree float cleats. One further note: when compared with the Shimano Ultegras these are much easier - less pressure needed to clip out - when tension is brought up. The shimano's were nice but when you put up the spring tension, you really need much more sideways force to unclip.

Shimano Ultegra pedals

[Oct 29, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, easy to enter and exit and easy to service.

Cleats wear pretty fast.

I've been using these pedals and the Sprints for over a year and think they're just dandy. Some people have issues with the cleat squeaking but I have yet to experience this. The pedals are light, easy to clip into and easy to service.

Shimano Ultegra, Crank Bros, Shimano 520 etc.