Look Keo Sprint Pedals

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 30, 2011]
    Mr__scott

OVERALL
    Strength:

great clipping in and out. common parts

kill the knees went to time pedals and cured knee pain problem

liked the way they ride, killed my knees once I turned 50. went to time pedals and solved problem

many models of look pedals over the past 30 years

[Jan 06, 2011]
    giantdefy2

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight approx 70grams lighter than Shimano 105 pedals. Positive clip in and release. No squeaks ever. Cleats have good grip, no issues with wear, still looks close to original after a year of use.

See my gripes in review.

Descent pedal, lightweight, white pedal gets dirty easily due to matte finish. My biggest complaint with these pedals is that they hang at a bad angle. The tip of the pedal faces at the 10 o clock position, so when I try to clip in, I end up on the underside of the pedal every time. Pain in the rear when your at a traffic light. The other issue I have is that the cleat is not flush on the body of the pedal. shoe rocks side to side teetering on the center of the cleat. I have 1200 miles on mine, pedal has developed play in the bearing and when I spin it freely, it sounds rough, like a roulette table.

Shimano 105 pedals, crankbrothers(all)

[Sep 16, 2010]
    smlanham

OVERALL
    Strength:

cheap and easy to use

noisy

Good pedals but I find them very noisy...either squeaking or creaking. I lube before every ride so that usually eliminates the squeaking but after only 2k miles I had a very persistent creaking that i thought was the BB...it was the pedals. I dismantled them and greased them and are quiet again. I guess it's not a big deal now that I know about it. I switched from speedplay X2 that I wore out.

old spd ( a long time ago)
    Speedplay X2

[Sep 05, 2010]
    Jeff-Bob

OVERALL
    Strength:

Firm riding platform
    Spin freely
    Red matches my bike

Cleats wear out quickly and are hard to walk in on hard surfaces. This drives up the long-term cost of the pedal.

I like the way this pedal works while I'm riding. I use the 4.5 degree float cleats. They provides a firm platform for climbing and general riding. The bearings are smooth and trouble free. I have at least 5000k miles on them.

They are trickier to clip into than an SPD style cleat but I've gotten used to them.

My major issue with the pedals is the cleats. They wear out quickly because the plastic is soft. I do a lot of touring and have to walk in them. I go through at least 1 set a year, and at $20 a pop this drives the cost of the pedal up considerably. They are also slippery when walking on hard surfaces like in a store.

I tried the newer version with the rubber traction strips on the bottom but have trashed the pair in less than 2 months. They are also harder to clip in to the pedal.

They do make covers for them that work, but they are bulky/heavy and I'd rather use that room for arm and leg warmers while riding in the mountains.

Shimano SPD

[Feb 16, 2010]
    kristian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lifespan
    Smooth bearings
    Secure engagement
    Easy disengagement

Logos have rubbed off, but I like it that way.

I've had these same pedals since 2007. Logged in tens of thousands of kilometers on them. Engagement is still secure, and disengagement is still easy. Bearings are still silky smooth (as long as you get them overhauled once in awhile, then you'll be fine). Some of the logos have rubbed off long ago, but that's pretty normal with every pedal. No complaints. If ever I have to replace my pedals, I'm sticking with Look.

Shimano Ultegra

[Sep 13, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Just stunningly light. Comes in cool colors.

None to speak of in terms of performance. These are not the cheapest pedals, and I suspect Keo Classics would make anybody but a weight-weenie equally happy.

These are very light, very stiff pedals. I appreciate all the float I can get, as the way my foot couples into the pedals changes when I'm cruising, cranking hard, off the saddle, etc. I've heard no squeaks nor felt any roughness after 1000mi. If you combine them with carbon-soled shoes, you'll be a pretty happy biker. For some, including me, saving 50-60g relative to other Keo pedals is not too compelling--I was on my way to pick up my bike and took what my LBS had in stock. You'd spend quite a bit less money and perhaps be just as happy if you got the Classics instead.

[Aug 24, 2009]
    ron

OVERALL
    Strength:

EZ in and out

Plastic too soft. Too expensive to keep replacing clips/cleats

The pedals work fine, its the clips that are the problem. They are soft plastic and wear easily. I am on my third set of $22 clips after 8 months. Looking for harder plastic or will buy new pedals.

Look Delta's. Older but harder plastic.

[Jul 24, 2009]
    Joe Sheridan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy install, good platform and stability, look appearance

Doesn't always align for easy clip-ins.

Switched to these from SPDs for better platform. They are great to work with. The clipping in that second foot can be annoying at times, but it snaps in confidently.

I have noticed a squeak from time to time and haven't figured out if it's the pedal or something else.

Clipping out isn't always smooth. Lead with your knee rather than your heel and you should do just fine. The clips have never come out on tough climbs and the platform allows for long rides without foot fatigue.

I would say overall, I'm very pleased with the pedals. A lot of my friends have speedplays and the advantage there is the pedal doesn't need to be turned to clip in. I have found that to be very, very minor. It's a better platform if you need to pedal uncliped for a rev or two.

The cleats are great. There's plenty grab so I can run to/from transition without the fear of slipping.

Shimano SPD

[Jul 07, 2009]
    EverydayRide

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light
    Good Platform
    Good 4.5 degree swivel affect
    Low profile for hair pin turns
    Power out of saddle to pedal interestingly has a very concise control while changing lanes accelerating around vehicles in traffic or other riders
    Pedal, cleat quietness
    Ease to clean during in climate conditions

Burned out bearings
    Special tool needed for maintenance
    Just because these are second lowest in the line-up, LBS feels at $159.99 you should replace then preserve
    Complicated maintenance once examining process on line
    No one carries the tool in order to service/examine the bearings

I bought these Look KeO Sprints along with the new bike at my LBS [Trek 2100 ZR9000] May 2008. After a long time-off from road biking [9 years] I put on 4,311 miles from May until Octobre 2008. Changed up bikes for the next season but these Sprint pedals transferred to the new ride, Cannondale SuperSix H3. I've officially have 8,023 miles on these pedals [July 06 '09]. They're toast. There's end play and side to side. From what I've been told by my LBS, they are worn out. Sad. I've run Shimano pedals with thousands upon thousands of miles of riding years back and never thought Look KeO's would bite the bullet at under 10,000 miles. Yes sad. Over all a good pedal, light but not longevity minded.

Dura Ace SPD SLs, 105's

[May 25, 2009]
    DaveG

OVERALL
    Strength:

Proven design. STable platform. Reasable weight

A bit harder to click in than Delta style Looks

I have been a Look Delta guy since 1990. When I built my latest bike I figured I had no choice but to try the Keo. The Sprint seemed lime to right model. A bit stiffer release and durable CroMo. I do find these slightly harder to click in than the Deltas (due to the walking ridge on the front) but they basically work very similarly but with about 100g less weight. Overall the platform provides the stability I like with Look. The 4.5 degree float was adequate. Great price at PBK

Look 166, Look 247 (several), Shimnao 105