Look PP 396 Pedals

LOOK pedals continue to evolve. For 2001, Look’s pedal collection will have a new, updated design. The new PP396, which replaces the former PP296, has a streamlined aero body design, with all the same great features.

[Mar 22, 2013]
calhoun

OVERALL
Strength:

Great pedals, used them for 40 yrs. , even the campy record which roll smoother but it is not an issue for them to roll smoother, able to win on either pedal and prefer the Look 396 over all pedals except the new keo max 2 .

0-----but if the do actually squeak, all you need to do is put a little grease in the toe, and also if you pedal stroke is a twisting motion then that is your body alingment that is incorrect

Great pedal!

[Jun 04, 2008]
jtsk

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looking, very functional click-in and click-out. Good solid platform feel once clicked-in.

SQUEAKING

I've ridden these pedals for over 4 years and just changed to Shimano Road pedals (PD-7810).

While these are very good pedals, the cleats squeak at times to such an annoying level that you start to hate to get on your bike. They don't squeak all the time, it seems to happen only with some cleat sets. Ironically, the Look brand cleats are the worst squeakers. Some off-brand cleats do not squeak at all while other squeak a little bit.

To stop the squeaking, I tried everything: cleaning, waxing, oiling, re-seating, not oiling, cleaning again, new cleats, etc, etc, etc.... Sometimes it got so bad that I could FEEL the squeaking in my feet with every pedal stroke. Talk about ruining a ride!

Finally had enough and just 86-ed these things in favor of Shimano Road pedals PD-7810.

It's really a shame, because Look makes a great pedal, they just need to solve the squeaking issue. Unfortunately for them, it's too late to save me as a customer....I had too many frustrating hours in the saddle.

I couldn't help but think as I endured another ride with squeaking that I'm sitting on a $4000 bike and the stinking pedals make more noise that a department store bike.

Low Value rating is strictly because of the squeaking problem.

Wellgo road, Shimano road, Shimano SPD

[Feb 17, 2007]
Gus Brown

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth operation good look and really durable good price to weight ratio.

none so far

These pedals are the most comfortable of all the clipless pedals I have used.(and I have used many)The large platform really works for my 235lb. build.

[Aug 01, 2006]
Bentforks

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, dependable platform. Comfortable and lots of free play, easy to clip in and out of.

None to date

Been using the Jalabert Signature PP396 for over 3 years. Experienced no problems and eliminated the squeaking easily (see below), having ridden in both below zero temps and hot conditions.
The squeaking is not restricted to LOOK pedals alone.

THE SQUEAKING ASSOCIATED WITH PEDALS IS OFTEN DUE TO MOISTURE. TO SOLVE IT PUT SOME FISHING REEL LUBRICANT BETWEEN YOUR SHOES AND THE CLEATS. BY DESIGN, FISHING REEL LUBRICANT EXPELS MOISTURE. THIS HAS WORKED FOR NUMEROUS RIDERS I KNOW USING VARIOUS SHOE/PEDAL COMBINATIONS.

None (first clipless purchased)

[Feb 09, 2004]
Clive

OVERALL
Strength:

n/a

n/a

This isn't a review as such. I've been able to get rid of my Look pedal squeak issues as follows: 1) remove the cleat from the shoe. 2) place a spacer between the black rubber plug that sits in the middle of the cleat, and the sole of the shoe. I use a piece of thin cardboard, about 2 - 3mmm thick. 3)replace the cleat. This has the effect of making the cleat sit more 'positively' in the pedal, and removes the excess play that contributes to the squaek. Good luck.

[Jan 27, 2004]
Tech72

OVERALL
Strength:

Large platform, robust, proven design, different options for float and release tension, still looks good after all these years.

Heavy compared to current high-end pedals, cleats wear out fast.

LOOK have been around since the beginning, for good reason. A solid, proven design. Still my favourite clipless pedals.

LOOK PP196, Shimano Dura-Ace LOOK, Keywin, Speedplay.

[Jan 20, 2004]
gcrain

OVERALL
Strength:

They work the way they're supposed to.

None so far

I've had these about 3 months now, and have put almost 500 miles on them. I have the float set to 9 degrees, and the release tension set to mid-level. I bought these because of the promise of much float (without the goofy cleats of egg beater- and hocky puck-pedals). I have been very happy with them so far. My (extremely finicky) knees appreciate the float, and even after a few rainy rides I haven't heard any squeak. Riding in Houston is always a test of nerves and quick release ability, and I haven't been disappointed (ie, I haven't fallen over with my feet stuck in the pedals - yet - and I'm still alive). I have, however, cussed many toothless, gun-rack totin' bubbas. So, I'm happy with these pedals so far. Just get me a good ride in these parts....

Shimano SPD; Avocet shoes with clips (best ever, though they fell apart after many miles).

[Dec 22, 2003]
murbike

OVERALL
Strength:

JaJa's signature. Same trusted Look design that I'm used to. Easy maint.

Heavy (but then, so am I)

I keep hearing about a squeak with Look pedals. I've been riding Look since the mid '80s, and never had a squeak... Anyway, this is my second pair of Look pedals, and I wouldn't change to any other brand. I have NEVER had any issues with their pedals. The 396 is a great pedal based on their tried and true design. I think it has too much adjustability, but hey. For a hundred, I'll take it. I don't mess with the tension too much. I lock them down with 0 float, and go on my merry way.

Ritchey MTB Pedals

[Dec 04, 2003]
_andrew_

OVERALL
Strength:

stable cleat base and very free float

axel's play and loosening emergency release tension opening durring powerful upstrokes and lack of customer service from look, they reply to product questions, but any service or warenty complaints they just don't reply

I bought these pedals in june of 03 after i wore out my wellgo stock pedals, when i fist rode them they were a major improvement, far more stable than SPD- R, better power transfer, and feels better when accelerating during a sprint. However within a month i began to have problems, first i began to have play in the axels which could not be tightened out, all i could do was tighten the sipindel and wait. The looseness progressed till i could notice it whenever i acclelerated the bike, i could countiue to tighten the axel but within two months it comes loose. My other complaint is the emergency release tension is in consitant, sometiem s when you feel solidly locked in then other times you can feel the release opening and you cleat lift durring a hard up stroke. i tried tightening the release tension but the problem persists. This confuses me as i am not a very large rider, i weigh jus over 125lbs and by no means should i encounter problems like this

[Oct 31, 2003]
cthomas

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability. Easy to service. Last for years and years. Won't BREAK (like the weak Shimano pedals. Bet Lance won't be riding them much longer).

Squeak. Putting wax or parafin on the pedals solves that issue.

While these are not the lightest pedals out there, NOTHING is as stable as a Look pedal! I have been riding Look pedals for 5 years, but this year decided to try others. Hated the Speedplays and broke the new Shimanos. Needless to say I keep going back to the Looks. I hear all the whining about height over the spindle and weight, but let's face it...the pedals haven't changed much because they WORK! If they are so bad then why did Time start making their cleats fit the 3 hole pattern and Shimano give up on SPD-R? I rest my case. Put some parafin on the pedals to stop the squeak and ride on!

Shimano SPD, SPD-SL, Speedplay X series

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.