Look PP247 Pedals

Same as the PP296 but without the Free ARC float adjustment.

[May 16, 2007]
Brian Aslett

OVERALL
Strength:

Wide contact - no hot spots on long rides
Durable
Float is just right - they solved my knee aches

Squeak prolifically unless lubed every ride
Paint job not great - they're looking a bit scruffy now
Easy to "miss clip"
Heavy compared to the alternatives

The pedals were fitted during a bike set up session about 3 months after I bought the new bike. Previously it had Shimano SPD pedals & I was getting hot spots after about 70km. It took a while to get used to them after double sided pedals & I still occassionally "miss the clips" at the end of a long ride when tired.
Have now done about 7 000km with them with no serious problems (have regreased them once at about 4 000km). They've got a small amount of play now, but nothing to worry about.
The biggest failing is their ability to squeak! It started at about 2 000km and it took me about 3 months to find an effective solution - spray them lightly before each ride with a silicone furniture polish. And then they smell real good too!!

Shimano 520 SPD

[Nov 12, 2006]
bikerx68

OVERALL
Strength:

durability, large platform

weight

I have used these pedals on 3 different road bikes over the last 4 years and they have served me well and are still going strong on my current bike, a Trek 5200. My only complaint is that they are a bit on the heavy side.

Nashbar SPD type pedals

[Aug 27, 2006]
DaveG

OVERALL
Strength:

Dependable
Large platform
easy entry/exit
smooth bearings
cleats available everywhere

weight, compared to the current offerings

I have 3 pairs of PP247's on 3 different bikes. These have been a steady depednable performer. I assume these will go the way of the Dodo now that the Keo model has taken over. I like the large platform and easy entry/exit. Bearings have remained smooth over years of use

I have used Look for 16 years now other than a brief stint with Shimano Looks

[Jun 02, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

They seem strong and well made. The 'click' you hear when you engage is very audible and confidence inspiring-you know you're in.

Almost no float. I don't know if this is really a weakness. They were made this way and some riders must prefer the very limited float, but I'm not one of them.

I've been using eggbeaters with off-road pedals for a while, but the lack of a truly positive feel and any significant platform made them kinda uncomfortable for road use. Anyway, nearly everyone uses the Look/Time type of pedal, so I figured I'd give them a shot. I didn't know much about these things and it turns out, the clerk at Performance knew even less. Coming from the super floaty eggbeaters, I knew I wanted pedals w/ adjustable float. The guy at Performance told me that the release tension adjustment screw was the float adjustment. Of course, this is incorrect. If you don't believe me, ask my swollen knees (in the clerk's defense, he did help me the best he could, even printing up some info he found on the internet). At any rate, I will be exchanging these pedals for some 5.1s or something else with a little more float.

Note for people who shop at one of the Performance retail/outlet stores-
before you go in, check their website. Their online price is usually lower than their in-store price and they will give you whichever one is cheaper.

[Dec 02, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks (no pun intended!,) comfort, ease of entry and exit

none yet

After riding a year with SPD style pedals on my raod bike, I decided to try a wider platform pedal due to some discomfort on long rides. The Look 247 has not dissapointed. I got them fairly cheap and they have been flawless.

Shimano SPD, toe clips

[Jan 23, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Look above

Almost none,the creaking can be solved(for the biggest part) by positioning your cleat under your shoe so that it rubs the pedal as little as possible and the new cleats with a teflon coating really help to.

Sweet pedals,easy to use,easy to clean, cheap.Great value for money

Older look pedals

[Apr 22, 2004]
BricLC

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, simple, sturdy, reliable

they have that annoying look squek, but not too big a deal

these were my first clipless road pedals and i have had nothing but good times with em. they were pretty cheap and they came with cleats. they are pretty easy to get in and out. i've never had any unwanted pullouts. i am not a lil guy so they have put up with my 195 lbs for over a year now.

[Oct 17, 2003]
trek5900cyclist

OVERALL
Strength:

Seem very strong, light enough for me, pretty paint job, wide range of adjustable realease tension

Yes sometimes they do squeak but it's not horrible, no float adjustement, scratch easily, very high profile

I got these pedals with my Trek 2300 after many years of using Shimano pedals. I must say I'm still getting used to them. I always perfered double sided pedals, even though they are usually heavier I just liked them. When I started racing I knew I needed real road pedals. Looking back I really dont know why I didn't stick with Shimano and got Ultegra or Dura-ace pedals. Honestly they just dont feel right. Too many years on superlight road bikes with heavy as heck double sided pedals.

Shimano PD-M959(on Cannondale R1000), Shimano PD-A515(on Trek 5200), Shimano PD-M515(on LeMond Nevada City) yes all on my road bikes, I know its sorta wierd

[Jan 31, 2003]
QuentinCassidy

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap (on sale everywhere), simplistic.

These dudes creak like it's their job.

Creak, creak, creak, creak... hear me coming? This line of pedals is notorious for the sound they make. At first it was just in the rain, then quickly it became every pedalstroke of every ride. Clean the heck the heck out of thema nd you might get a few minutes of silence. For the last year or so I've been putting a heavy grease on them before every ride. Friends say car wax works well too. Plus, they're really heavy, and have evolved very little in years and years.

Time Impacts

[Dec 16, 2002]
mjhoffman34

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick engagement, wide, stable platform, strong retention, easy to adjust.

cold weather riding causes thinngs like plastic to become brittle. A recent ride left my primary standing foot with a broken cleat. I could still ride with half of the rear edge of the cleat missing, but it left a catch point for disengagement. Maybe the French could look into using MAG for a cleat material.

I have a very good review for the 247. I've been using these until I can afford the upgrades but no problems of any mechanical means. They have a good, wide, and stable platform. The bearings run smoothly and without noise. I frequently ride in traffic, so when I don't "track-stand" for lights, I have no trouble feeling the tip of the pedal and flipping it to engage the cleat with one motion. It leaves a crisp, solid click to let me know that there is no chance of flopping out of them through the middle of the intersection as I out sprint all the cute, little, slammed Honda Civics with those equally cute whale tail wings. This bike is more valuable than that car for goodness sake. Occasional Crit races are no problem either, lots of ground clearance, although I'm not cornering as fast I should be.

Wellgo, Ritchey Road Logic, Time Impact