Look PP256 Carbon Pedals

Light weight, (180 grams), and low profile, (35 degrees of cornering clearance). An indexed tension setting with a visual display window for precise cleat tension.

[Aug 20, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably priced (especially now that most stores are blowing them out as Look apparently discontinued them).

Purchased:
Used
[Jan 08, 2003]
timtheroadbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

solid platform. cool looking.

heavy, dangerous if you want to get in them to fast. tiny float

I got these pedals with my merlin road bike. And let me tell you they suck. I mean if you have knee problems dont even think about geting them, go for the speedplays. I mean, I really like the solid platform under your feet and I used them for so time. But after I did one of my 100 mile days, the next day. My knees hated them.

Speedplay x/2

[Aug 18, 2002]
K J

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides like a Look pedal.

Float is too slippery. Pedal comes unscrewed from spindle.

I've always thought that the float was slippery enough to be unnerving. I never had a problem with the old Looks with no float. Now, after about 1000 miles, my right pedal has started working its way loose on the spindle, so that it falls off while I'm riding. Not good. I'm thinking I'll Loctite it down until I can get replacements - maybe I'll switch to Time.

Older Looks. Plenty of different SPDs.

[May 06, 2002]
Lou DAmelio

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight (for Look)

Bearings

Like others, bearing problems early and often. I was probably the last schmuck to pay full retail for these before Look phased them out. The bearings were rough from the outset, the whole right assembly was shot after 7000 miles of riding.In retrospect, they were responsible for an annoying click for several thousand miles which had me disassembling various other things on the bike. (I assumed that new pedals couldn''t be the cause till I read the reviews here. I''m not hard on pedals -this particular bike never sees rain. Into the trash - going to try Record Pro-fit Plus for the weight savings over Look 357''s or 396''s. As others have noted, I think this is the black sheep of the Look family - I have had no problems with a pair of ancient, low-end Looks which came on my old bike - they are still going strong at 30,000 miles. Look hasn''t shaved weight with their latest generation of pedals and the Campy seem functionally near-identical, so I''ll give them a go.

Ancient Looks

[Oct 05, 2001]
jrathfon

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and work well

slightly scratched

I bought these from a previous reviewer Charles Chulack who gave these pedals a very bad review. He must not be a very competent rider because they work great for me. He Hated them which is fine because he paid lots and I only paid a few beers for them.

mtb pedals only

[Aug 24, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

they look cool and they're alot lighter than my shimano-looks. easy in/out and very durable

haven't found any yet, but after reading what other people think, i guess i should be expecting problems eventually.

look rules. i really like these peds and have decided that i'm gonna stick with them for the long haul. i haven't had any problems with the bearings or clicking in/out. no creaking sounds, either. i really dig this company and would gladly try any of their products.... except for some of those funky, rainbow-colored shoes they make.

various LOOK and shimano-look variations over the past 15 years

[Mar 29, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Once in, stay in tight. Easy out.

Single-sided entry.

These are *good* pedals, but I don't think that they are great. They are easy to get out of, and I like the feel while I'm riding.

However, the single-side entry is a real pain. I've worked on technique quite a bit and over time have gotten much better getting in and out. But for any urban/sub-urban riding where you do have to stop at lights and get in and out, I find myself frequently scratching up the bottom of the pedals, because I didn't get the entry right.

My next set of pedals will be just about anything with dual-sided entry.

For Mountain Bike - Shimano 535s.

[Apr 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

light, easy in/out adjustable tention. the red cleat alow floation

the bearing are shot after riding 3500 miles. I even had one of the pedles the race that is inside the pedel slide out of position and cause the pedal to move closer to the crank.

good pedal, but don't expect them to last forever though

[Apr 29, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy out, great knee saving float, adjustability

Somewaht tricky to get into without looking, like in traffic.

These pedals saved my knees. After riding on Shimano's SPD's for years, my knees started to hurt. These babies save my (cycling) life!

Shimano SPD's

[May 06, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The silver plate cuts down on wear, my last set of Looks had grooves in them after several years. They have a nice range of adjustability and the blue matches my frame

A lot to pay for pedals, but as often as Look changes models you should be able to find a look pedal for a good price

Good dependable pedal. The come with a nice tool to get the cleats dialed in and I have had zero problems with them for over 6000+ miles.

Other look pedals