Nashbar Nashbar Multi-Purpose Platform Sport Pedal NS-DHPS Pedals

This is a platform / SPD style mtb cleated pedal. The cleats are NOT SPD compatible - they are similar in design but will only work with the (included) Nashbar cleats. As long as you have SPD compatible shoes, these should work. I had to cut some extra rubber off my shoes but no big deal.

Likes: big platform. simple design (no moving parts). relatively light for this style of pedal. easy to ride w/ street shoes. easy to clip in /out.

Dislikes: quality control is weak - bearings were rough, and the cleat mounting screws tend to come loose over time. I finally used Loc-tite on them and they stay in now. The cleat design is not true SPD, I guess for trademark reasons, but that means that if you have multple bikes / shoes, you have to order /setup extra parts. Also, this is my second set of these pedals, and Nashbar changed the cleat design so they aren't even compatible with each other.

Overall... still like 'em, they're my daily riders, but it's a mixed vote due to the quality control and compatibility problems.

[Aug 22, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

-Simple design (cleats are just bolted to each side of a platform). -Big enough platform but not huge like a downhill pedal. Nice medium. Reasonably light considering they're cheap platform pedals. -Easy clip in / out, plus if you miss the first attempt you can ride anyway till you get a second chance (very important for cyclocross or getting across a busy intersection).

Purchased:
Used
[Jan 25, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy install, easy in and out, cheap, you can use them with regular shoes if necessary. Multi-purpose!

Cheap (I said 30 but I think they were more like $20), HEAVY

I've used them for some time now and actually bought SPD multi-release cleats. They seem to work fine with those. I know it says they are not compatible but they seem to work fine for me. The quality is good enough for general use. I rode them on a hybrid bike initially and now am going to give them a shot on my road bike for awhile before I buy dedicated road pedals. They are nice and comfortable with or without cleats. This was my first set of clipless pedals.

N/A

[Apr 02, 2007]
Creakyknees

OVERALL
Strength:

-Simple design (cleats are just bolted to each side of a platform).

- quality control - bearings needed grease/adjust when new, and cleat mounting screws tend to loosen / back out over time. I finally pulled them and used Loc-tite, no problem since.
- the cleats are not really SPD compatible - they are similar but you will need to mount the Nashbar parts on your shoes; if you're riding SPD on other bikes you may have a problem.

Good platforms with SPD-style cleats, cheaper than Shimano, simple design, a couple of flaws you may or may not be able to live with.

Various brands of traditional SPD-style mtb pedals, flats, Time road pedals, Shimano M-series platforms, toe clips, etc.