Performance Forte Pro Pedals

Forged aluminum body, dual spring entry/release mechanism, sealed bearings, hollow chromoly axle. 4 degrees of float. Cleat mounts on SPD bolt pattern.

[Sep 22, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to clip in/out. Work just as well as any SPDs I've used (shimano, welgo, other performance.)

They fall apart.

Worthless Worthless Worthless. Atleast I only paid $25 on craigslist. The platform came completely off the spindle about 300 miles after brand new. Not worth servicing so I'm moving on. I have 2000+ hard miles on another pair of Forte spds (the campus style) with no problems. Seems like I'm just breaking in the bearings on them. Whoever designed the "pro" really should take a class in mechanical engineering and figure out how to design a product that doesn't FALL APART. The bearings were still "stiff" and the platform came completely off. Trash!

Shimano SPD, Welgo SPD, other Forte SPD

[Jan 27, 2009]
Sirveyir

OVERALL
Strength:

Low price (but going up), easy availability, light weight.

Listed above, outweigh strengths.

I have owned 3 sets of these pedals since 2006. They are also sold as Nashbar Tourmalet and perhaps under other names as well. I have been very pleased with these pedals in the past, but wish to change my opinion for the same design/durability issues mentioned in other reviews. My complaint is with the screws which hold the clip to the pedal body. These come loose and I have broken the heads off of two screws now. I have also snapped the front off one clip. The pedals do easily lose the plastic bearing covers necessitating the duct tape fix mentioned earlier. I think I am about to have bearing failure on one pedal. I do not think I will buy any more of these.

Performance Forte and Nashbar MTB SPD pedals.

[Mar 10, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Great pedal for the money.

Small platform but really not a big deal.

I purchased these pedals about six years ago because, at the time, they were the only road pedals available compatible with SPD cleats and they were cheap. Have not had any problems what so ever. I average about 1500 miles a year consisting mostly of early moring 20 milers on weekdays and 50 to 100 miles on weekends. Adjusted the tension when I first installed them and havn't touched them since. Spraying a little silcone on the pedals once in a while keeps wokring smooth.

Early edition of the entry-level Time

[Apr 19, 2006]
majorpain1251

OVERALL
Strength:

Very economical, lightweight, good cornering clearance.

Poor design with one tiny bearing.

This is my second set of Forte pedals and my last. The run on one tiny shielded bearing. The bearing is on the side away from the crankarm. This bearing will fail. It is designed to fail. But since I prefer to have the option to walk in my cycling shoes there aren't that many options that compare with the SPD retention system.

early Look pedals, 2 sided Shimano SPD, Nashbar SPD road pedal,

[Jun 21, 2005]
sevendy

OVERALL
Strength:

SPD style. I prefer these, as opposed to Look and Speedplay pedals, which don't allow your foot to "roll" side to side. Also, it's nice to have cycling shoes you can actually walk in. Your anatomy may vary...

Many: -Plastic bearing caps are easily lost. Fortunately, silver duct tape makes an invisible replacement. -Two tiny screws hold the front clip to the pedal body; these loosen repeatedly and thread-lock is little help. -One pedal had a deformed bearing seal which prevented it from turning freely. (Tiny ball bearing on one pedal appeared to be GLUED to spindle and I damaged it trying to remove it to fix the seal. Moral: if the pedal doesn't turn, send it back!) -Like other people, I had a lubrication failure in the sleeve bearing which caused noise and premature wear. Check frequently for free play and be prepared to disassemble and re-lube (try moly grease). -Wear on cleat can cause it to jam in pedal, preventing release. Good luck when you try to replace them---unfortunately, not all of the generic replacement "98"-style cleats have the same rotation or release characteristics.

This is just one of a variety of road and MTB pedals using the identical retention system and similar bearing systems. The bearing involves a sleeve, which is prone to lubrication failure, and a tiny cartridge-style ball bearing---no Look or Shimano quality here! The advantage of these pedals is that they're light, inexpensive, and, for most part, work well right out of the box, but they do have serious durability problems.

Wellgo MG8. Very similar, but lighter and cheaper, and no plastic caps to lose.

[Jan 29, 2004]
jasg

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good looking, cheap.

Weak and very small metal piece (1cm wide) is responsible for containing a lot of force in the front.

These are my first clipless pedals and have up until now been pretty good. I have similar issues with the insertion difficulties that others have written about, but that may be due to only having ridden them 2 months. But today I broke the front tab off of them with a clean sheer. Performance is beign great about swapping them, paying shipping both ways.

Platforms, clipped pedals.

[Jan 01, 2004]
strangeman

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, sleek, excellent clearance, positive engagement, inexpensive, SPD cleat system.

A bit harder to click in due to the smaller pedal surface.

A great road pedal for the price, especially if you prefer the SPD system. They are light, have lots of cornering clearance and look great. I prefer the SPD system because the cleats last forever and I don't walk like a duck when unclipped. I adapted my Carnac road shoes to accept the SPD cleat ($10 for the insert). Takes a bit to get used to clicking into the smaller pedal.

Standard, two sided SPD pedals, many types of LOOK style clipless.

[Nov 24, 2003]
dgangi

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, low cost, nice looking, easy to clip in/out (once you get the right side up!)

A little awkward to kick right-side up to get your foot into

This review is for the Nashbar version of the pedal (Nashbar and Performance are the same company). Both the Performance Forte and Nashbar pedals are just a rebranded Wellgo. These pedals are great! For an SPD-type pedal, you can't go wrong with these. They are light (260g), sharp looking (polished aluminum), roll smoothely, and clip in/out as well as any other SPD pedal I have used. And they have a low profile, which means you have a lot of clearance on turns before the pedal hits the ground. Best part - the price! At less than $50, you can't go wrong... If you are an MTB cross-over and want to use the same shoes for both sports OR want the same, comfortable feel as your MTB pedal, then I highly recommend these pedals. My only issue with these pedals is that these can be tough to turn upright to clip into. If you are used to 2-sided MTB pedals, this can be a pain at first. One side is weighted more than the other, so *in theory* the pedal should hang in the correct position when your foot is out. But these pedals are so light that they are not heavy enough to turn themselves downward after you clip out. I am used to this now, but the design can still be improved in that regard.

Wellgo MTB pedals, Shimano MTB pedals

[Sep 30, 2003]
CLark0980

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy to adjust, durable.

My cleats always creak in them no matter how much lube or adjusting is done to them.

These were my first clipless pedals. I purchased them cause they were cheap, but knew they'd do the trick. I'm still using them after about 3 years of use. They're starting to wear out, but have been great for the money.

[May 01, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, nice design, easy entry/exit, solid spindles, nice looking, low price compared to name brand clipless pedals

only 4 degrees of float but this is a problem with all SPD based pedals

There are no inexpensive clipless road pedals. You almost always have to drop at least a hundred bucks. Well Performance has both SPD and Look compatible pedals available for about sixty bucks. These are durable, smooth, and nice looking. Why spend more? I recommend them for anyone!

other Shimano pedals