Shimano 105 PD-5500 Pedals

Shimano's latest version of their 105 pedal has really blurred the line separating them from...

[Mar 14, 2003]
cjamieson

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good, but that is about all!

Impossible to clip out of... Soft metal platform...

At first I loved them and now I hate them! Not sure what happened, but they absolutely suck now. I'm having a heck of a time clipping out. It seems like the only way I can get out is to 'heel-in', which I hate doing. The pedal platform is very soft too! I definitely think that Shimano failed on this pedal. I'm thinking about going back to my TIME pedals or buying a pair of LOOK pedals.

Time Challenge Pro, Shimano SPD road pedals, Shimano 'Look' style pedals

[Jun 19, 2002]
I Love Shimano

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap easy to get in and out of tough

Does not look as cool as the Look pedals Not very light

At first, I hated this pedal. Getting in and out was dificult. In fact, I fell over so many time because it was so hard to get out of it. I put a few drops of sewing machine oil in the pedal where it contacts the cleats, and voila...it became perfect. Getting in and out was 100 times easier. IMO, this pedal is great value for the money. It weighs the same as teh PD-6600s of Ultegra. I'll give it a 4 because it works well, but is not light enough.