Shimano 7701 Dura-Ace Pedals

[May 14, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, very close to axle, I could drop my seat about 5mm after changing from Time Equipe pro Mag. (the lowest Time pedal). Solid connection,nice to be able to walk in and out of coffee shops without bruises all over your backside.

Durability and warranty are far below par. Within 3 months the pedals showed significant signs of wear, so much so, that there was a large degree of free play in the pedals, causing knee problems. Replacingthe black plsatic bit iin the middle did not fix the problem. Shimano did not want to know about the problem. (I have had this problem before with A D/A BB that wore out within 3 months. They then told me that d/a was like a formula 1 car part. It needed replacing and servicing frequently. No warranty. I laughed and asked the service person what planet he was from. I think he mumbled he was a cling on. I have ridden th eold style Time pedals the last 10 years and they have never worn out,except the sealed bearings need replacing 3-4 yeary. I suspect the weight saving is in the butter like metal alloy they have used in that particular pedal.

Good pedal with low weight, fairly good float, though not as natural feeling as the Time, never disengaged accidentally in 12 months of use. Unfortunately don't last, and Shimano Australia do not back their product as they should.

Time eqqupe pro Mag (excellent, but very heaavy) Keywin (flimsy), Look (Hmmm)

[Jun 02, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Look nice, light weight, easy to engage.

Not double sided, little float, hard to release (even with the lesser tension in the adjuster spring).

I've only used them for about 3 weeks, but enough to post this review. I'm using the whole Shimano package (shoes R215 with Dura-Ace 7800's cleats and pedals). The cleats are easy to walk with and in my own opinion not as easy to release them from the pedals as some other riders say. They look really nice on my bike, haven't try them on sharp turns, so I'm not really confident to say they keep good ground clearance while turning. Eventhough they are easy to release I'm getting use to clip them and I'm sure they will get even better/easier for both operations. What I don't really like about them is the little float (being a 4 year Speedplay user). About the wider platform I cannot say it's a really cool feature, since never felt the "hot spot" on my previous Speedplay which are narrow platform.

Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-R pedals

[Nov 18, 2003]
mhubbert

OVERALL
Strength:

They feel great on the feet, good in turns and you can walk in the cleats!

They are not as easy to clip into and I still seem to have a problem getting into them at stop lights. Not a big problem but one leg pedaling across intersections is a pain.

Once I'm in them they are fine, but I have to ride through traffic with stoplights to get away from town. That is the only problem. I have the yllow cleats with float. I was replacing the time equipe Ti.

Time equipe Ti

[Aug 27, 2003]
Chris Bourke

OVERALL
Strength:

Very simple design, simple to engage

the centre plastic piece that has worn out and the sloppiness in the pedal cleat

After purchasing these pedals I was very happy with them. I found them easier to engage and disengage than the time mag pro's I was riding and the ground clearance was fantastic through fast corners. About five months in I began to develop sorness in my hip and knee. I was riding the floating yellow cleats and what was happening was that the black plastic piece in the middle of the pedal had worn a groove out in the middle from clipping in and out,the shoe on a down stoke was slipping across the pedal and felt sloppy on an upstroke. I changed to a fixed cleat which stopped the side slipping however because of the groove there is still a lot of slop in your up stroke (regardless of how much you tighten the pedals up) where it gives the sensation of the shoes/cleat seperating from the pedal.

various look pedals, most recently time mag pro's.

[Jul 17, 2003]
Ian Stanford

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, durable cleats, smooth entry and release, cornering clearance, base of shoe to spindle distance very small. Reliable hold

screws that come with cleats are too short. Just buy different ones. Finish gets beat up easy on the sides. Price, but it is your knees.

I am talking about the new "Lance pedal" here. Shimano SPD-SL's. Stiff click in at first but they come around. Very reliable once you are in and the float feels very natural. Great cornering clearance and durable cleats that have built in walking pads.

Look pedals. Same design as Shimano but not as smooth or reliable

[Jun 19, 2003]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

They're a tremendous weight savings over my old Time Mag Pros. They're smooth and solid thus far, although I've only managed to put 1,600kms on them. The float feeling is very natural. It feels like you're actually pivoting over the balls of your feet. The cleats have tiny yellow rubber traction bumps on them. At first I didn't think they'd work, but you can actually walk in them on linoleum, up and down stairs, and feel confident. Also the range of adjustment accomodated my size 14 (48) feet.

The finish is perhaps not as durable as it could be. The clip in procedure was a bit awkward at first, but tht's the way of all new pedals. It's very easy once you get used to it.

Big, heavy, crit rider gets new pedals.

Various Look pedals. Time Mag Pros.

[May 13, 2003]
Dave Siccardi

OVERALL
Strength:

Firm grip, just the right amount of float, good platform size silky smooth bearings.

Hard to get into, metal SPD-R cleats scratch the heck out of the pedal body when you miss

A very frustrating experience these pedals are. On the one hand they are beautiful, silky smooth with a great platform IF you can reliably get into them. These pedals were scratched up just testing them in the garage, it only got worse on the road. Once I was dropped by the group cause I couldn't get in to save my life. Then the magic spot hits and you click in effortlessly! Arghh, I pulled them off reluctantly and went back to my Speedplays which I am not fond off but at least can get in.

Speedplay, Time Mid, Look, Time Attack, Wellgo box

[Feb 24, 2003]
bealsco

OVERALL
Strength:

light, smooth, float, nice looking, adjustable, very comfortable

Way Too Expensive.

This is a review of the New, 2003 Durace SPD-SL pedals, dubbed the "Lance" pedal. These are wonderful pedals, regardless of who rides them. First minute in them felt great. I use the clips with float. Very comfortable.

Many models of Look

[Aug 13, 2002]
the other Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight; easy in/out; nice looking

I don't think they'll hold up well; a lot of shoes don't take SPD-R or require special adapters

I thought I would never find a good road pedal. I had the shop I bought my bike from put Speedplay Zeros on it, but I never liked the way they felt (small), and step-down entry isn't easy for me (lots of misses). I also tried Looks, and found release almost impossible. I couldn't understand how there could be so many great SPD pedals, while all of the popular road pedals were so lame. I was ready to put some cheap, heavy SPD pedals on that beautiful bike, but decided to get SPD-R adapters for my shoes and give the DA pedals a try. My search is over. Very easy entry, very easy release, no misses ... what more could I ask for? I keep the spring tension very light, and have had no accidental releases.

Speedplay Zero, Look (several), lots of SPDs

[Aug 10, 2002]
John Clary

OVERALL
Strength:

These pedals are light, easy in and out after a while of practicing. After having to lay Mrs. Greenie (my bike)down on the pavement-I learned how to release quickly

Don't know

These pedals rock. I am presently riding a 2001 Roadmaster with stock 105 parts. I get laughed at but you know what? I beat just about everyone.

Wal-Mart brands-this is my first high priced pedal.