Shimano Dura-Ace PD-7700 Pedals

• Wide dual bearing placement reduces pedal flex
  • Larger platform with more stable shoe contact
  • Lower profile design improves pedal efficiency, lowers shoe closer to pedal spindle
  • Fixed, 6 degrees and 10 degrees self-centering cleat options
  • In-pedal cleat adjustment offers faster, easier and more precise cleat adjustment
  • Forged aluminum body
  • Weight: only 298g pedals (pair) and 88g for cleats

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 11, 2020]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light and durable

I cannot find shoes for it. Is there anyone out there that could recommend a shoe brand that would have the sole holes compatible with the cleats holes? Thanks.

Purchased:
    New
    [May 06, 2020]
    jeffbozo

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy to clip in and clip out, light weight, looks cool, Shimano SPD-R shoes also support SPD, and LOOK

Purchased:
    Used
    [Feb 19, 2007]
    Marcio

OVERALL
    Strength:

Won`t clip out! light weight.

won`t clip out in an emergency! (no trick will help in an emergency situation)

This is my first clip pedal, and I think these pedals strenght is this weakness at the same time: very hard to clip out! it means you`re safe in a sprint (won`t clip out!) but you can smash you face in the traffic lights.

[Sep 24, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

The cleats are fairly easy to walk on, not slippery like the Look plastic ones. Also, the cleats are really durable.

Sooner or later, a person will ruin his/her knees using these things. Clipping out is just a killer, no matter which way you adjust them or technique you use.

Clipping out of these pedals has always been difficult for me. I even had a professional bike mechanic adjust them, and they're still nearly impossible to clip out of. Now, they have finally ruined my knees, so I'm gladly junking them. I only regret waiting so long. In addition, clipping out requires that you turn your heel in towards the bike frame. I can't tell you how many times I've bashed my seat stay doing this. All in all, I hate these pedals.

1990s Look.

[Dec 30, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

secure, won't clip out, light, smooth, nice platform. Best pedal for sprinting. Excellent race pedal.

Not supported anymore by shimano, less and less options for shoes. Pontoons barely protect the cleats - the screw tops will get worn down and you will have to drill them out to change cleats.

I've been using these pedals for 3 years. Used to use speedplays, then my coach got me off them and into spd-rs -(he's a world's champion track sprinter). They're exclellent for keeping you solidly clipped in - great for racing, esp for sprinters. Many track guys still use them. They take awhile to get used to - like 6 months - but after that, clicking in and out is easy - you don't have to set the spring tension too tight - keep it rather loose for easy in/out. They are light, secure, spin smoothly and best of all, don't use plastic or "composite" cleats that are designed to wear out. I can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard other racers clipping out of their Looks in a field sprint. Only problem with these is Shimano has stopped manufacturing the cleats, and Shimano shoes now won't even accept the spd-r drill pattern - trying to force you to use the inferior (and plastic cleated) SL's. Less and less shoe mfg's are drilling their soles for spd-r's now as well. But for the time being, you can still get spare cleats from inventories, and shoes like Sidi Gen 5's and Vittorias still accept spd-r's. May eventually try campy record pedals, which seem to be in the same spirit.

speedplay, spd, straps.

[Apr 08, 2004]
    G-reg

OVERALL
    Strength:

Can set up cleats while clipped in to pedals, makes positioning easy. Slim profile, low height. Pontoon-thingys aid in walking and protect cleat.

Weak cleat bolts, hard to clip in-out.

After about 100mi I'm dumping these things. They are hard to get into/out of, and I can't get the cleats to not slip. The cleat issue is partially because of my shoes, but only partially. I've had two bolts strip at different times , allowing the cleats to move..hurting my knees. And I've had one bolt brake entirely, allowing the cleat to move(hurting my knees) and not allowing me to get out of them. Other reviewers have brought up the other problems. The pedals are not terrible, but there are just better options now.

1st totally road pedal, all sorts of mtb's

[Mar 03, 2003]
    JeffreyLynne

OVERALL
    Strength:

Platform, confidence in maintaining clipped in, limited float, ease of release and entry.

Merely superficial - get scratched up, but does not affect performance at all.

If you want to be "locked in," these pedals are the way to go. I have tried almost every other pedal (except Egg Beaters and Time) and these are the best, in terms of performance, platform, and stability. Ignore what everyone writes about not being able to get out. They must be new to the sport.

Look, Speedplay, SPD

[Jan 12, 2003]
    DirtyD

OVERALL
    Strength:

Large platform, smooth bearings, light weight.

Average entry, 7700 has very difficult release, 7701 has moderately difficult realease.

These pedals were part of the 25th Anniversary Dura Ace Group I purchased. From the beginning I had difficulty with the release and wasn't sure if it was the pedals or combination of the cleats with Carnac shoes. On several occasions the cleats absolutely would not release. After a couple of close calls and several embarrassing events, I decided to write Shimano about what I considered to be a design flaw. They were kind enough to send me a new pair of the 7701 pedals with teflon coated rear claws. The new design works better, although I still think it takes too much effort to get out of the pedals. I purchased a pair of Shimano SPD-R shoes which also helped.

Speedplay Frogs (yes on a road bike)they work great especially in the city, Time

[Dec 09, 2002]
    Michael Hartley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid platform, low stack height, low weight, and float/no float options.

Inward release only

I just started using these since they came on a used bike I bought. They have a solid, wide platform that feels very secure underfoot. Best of all, if your shoe is SPD-R compatible (SIDI requires an adaptor)the stack height on the pedal is very low, which adds to the solid feel. I read several reviewers who had trouble releasing. I can only guess that they are trying to release out. These cleats only allow inward release (unless you wrech your knee). Adjusting the release will not make an outward release any easier. the inward release is smooth as silk. I admit it takes getting used to, especially since moving your foot out is a natural motion in an emergency release. The upside is that releasing in is easier on my knee. As for float, Shimano makes two different cleats, one with float and one without. You choose.

SPD, Look

[Dec 01, 2002]
    GiPr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Look, easy in/out, comfortable, and easy to walk with !

I used D/A SPD-R 7700 until now ! Difficult to get in/out, unless I released the SPD-R on the 'wrong' side (easy out in the direction of the frame); anyway, I use know the new SPD-SL ! Excellent looking and perfect in/out with the new Look-like cleats!