Shimano Dura Ace PD-7810 Pedals

• Super lightweight
  • Lightweight forged alloy body
  • Silky smooth 3-bearing axle system
  • Stainless steel pedal body plate
  • Open design

[Jun 07, 2010]
michaeld-c

OVERALL
Strength:

Bearings.
Stiff axles.
Wide platform.
All metal construction.
Reliable.
Look good on any bike.
Replacement cleats are cheap.

Very expensive.
Some might say heavy for the price.
Not enough float for everyone.
Too much release tesion for smaller riders.
Scratches and chips show easily.

These are a reliable and solid pedal with excellent performance. Cleats are easy to walk in and set up too.

Nice positive cleat engagement with excellent security. The bearings are brilliant and require no maintenance. The platform is wide and the axles have no flex.

The stack height is noticeably lower than Look models but not as low as Time or Speedplay.

They have just the right amount of float and the all metal construction should be durable.

They are not light at 275 grams a pair but the total weight of pedals + cleats + bolts etc is only slightly behind other top end pedals. Ti cleat bolts are available for people who care.

Even on the easiest setting, they will be too much for some lighter people or beginners.

As mentioned by another reviewer, after a few months of general use they don't look too flash and strangely, don't look as nice cosmetically as some carbon pedals. Doesn't affect performance though.

Look Keo Carbon, Speedplay Zero, Time i-Clic Carbon, Time RXS Ti.

[Oct 09, 2008]
ken branch

OVERALL
Strength:

float is great so is wide platform, work flawlessly.

very very cheap finish, will be sending them back for warranty!!!!

Loved the nice anodized finish when i bought them but after 4000 km severe pitting and peeling of finish. can't believe how cheap the finish is on these expensive pedals. bike is cleaned often, never had problems with my old pedals (10 000 plus km)

[Oct 03, 2008]
Jeff D

OVERALL
Strength:

Wide, stable platform, durable, smooth, beautiful...dura ace. I will never ride another pedal.

Compared to speedplays, which hide weight on the cleat, these pedals are a bit heavy (though the total pedal+cleat weight is similar). So if you're a hopeless weight weenie (I am not) your bike will feel a little heavier in the hand. Really expensive if you don't do your homework before buying. At retail I'd ding 'em for value, but they're a steal for what I paid.

Bought these after my speedplay X5s completely wore out at about 4000 miles. Problems with speedplays: tiny interface translated to a not-so-solid pedaling platform (significant wiggle), tiny interface caused hotspots, cleats were expensive and difficult to walk in, plastic lolipops wore down quickly. What I like about Shimanos: wide pedal interface for a very stable platform and no hotspots at all, low-profile cleat very easy to walk in and don't need rubber covers, very durable...2 tumbling crashes and only a few scratches (but still work perfectly), all this after 7500 miles. Nice positive click in and out, with adjustable tension. Cleats that come with pedals still allow a good deal of float. These things are awesome.

Speedplay X5

[Jul 24, 2008]
sam

OVERALL
Strength:

fit and finish
foot stability (made me realize how sloppy speedplays were even with new cleats and no more hotspots on my feet.
inexpensive cleat replacement
float is ultra smooth like ice

oh yeah there is one. i have sidi shoes and the cleat bolts the pedals came with were too short. the bolts would thread two threads worth and then when you torque the bolts, the bolt would strip because it was hanging on by only a few threads.

replaced my speedplay zero SS (junk). the first thing i thought was, these are huge pedals, i was just used to the small zeros.

super clean, nicely made quality product, dura ace of course. easy in with an assuring snap when clipped in. takes some work getting out of(comparing to speedplay), had to set on lighter spring tension fixed my issue.

cleats are huge with a large lip so when you engage the pedal, even if you havent "clicked" in yet, your foot wont slip foward and out (like on the zeros). all plastic cleat, but half the price of speedplays to replace, and believe me, i went through many speedplay cleats, until the actual plastic on the pedal itself cracked and rendered them junk.

so far so good. no more "hotspots" on my right foot due to the huge contact point. and my foot rocks less feeling more stable on these.

speedplay zero SS
959 mountian SPDs

[Jul 16, 2008]
Sablotny

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good bearings, clear anodized aluminum, as road components should be

Not the best engagement feel (LOOK is more positive both in feel and sound) float is bad- I often start to feel knee pain and then realizd I'm not floating. I clean cleats often and use silicone spray once in a while.

Pure vanity but I wanted a complete Dura Ace group for once in my life, so I got the 7810's.

LOOK 396- boat anchors in comparison but great engagement feel & sound and constant smooth float. Nashbar single sided SPD pedals- lightest and I've got no complaints with SPD's on the road.

[Dec 04, 2007]
android

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, well made, look good, easy entry, very positive clip in.

Probably cost too much, but what doesn't?

I'd been using the PD-7800, but needed a third set of pedals so I could cover all my bikes without having to move pedals around.

Since some people have complained about the plastic plate on the 7800s wearing out, I decided to pay the few extra bucks for the 7810s and put them on my daily ride.

I didn't really notice much difference in the platform width. They feel pretty much like the 7800s which I really like.

After a couple thousand miles, the SS plate doesn't really show any wear, so I guess it's doing its job.

PD-7800, PD-7401

[Oct 08, 2007]
Patrick moore

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort; secure click in; durability (I assume they're durable for $250!), looks (no pun intended), low height.

Somewhat harder than I like to release -- but that may simply be a matter of getting used to a very different kind of pedal than the X-2s I am so used to.

Bought for my '99 Joe Starck built custom Rivendell 650c fixed gear gofast. I had used Speedplay X-2s for years, then switched to 959s but wanted something with bigger platform and the nice Look clickin. There is nothing like Looks (I've not used Times) for a secure, comfortable platform

Click in is easy, the fit is comfortable, click out is rather harder than I had anticipated, being used to X-2s; the float seems non existant to someone who used the Speedplays for 15 years. Am somewhat torn between these and the X-2s but in the end the 7800s will be fine; their strength -- the wide, comfortable and secure platform -- makes up for the ease of entry and exit and the no holds barred float of the Speedplays. I'm content.

X-2s for many years, other Looks, various SPDs, Graftons, Sampsons, clips and straps, you name it.

[Sep 22, 2007]
BLACKSHEEP54

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy entry, wide platorm, nice cleats to walk in.

Exiting the pedals could be a little easier but im used to very loose MTB pedals.

These pedals are great. Nice wide platform to ease pressure on your food, easy to get into and out of, and the cleats are actually pretty easy to walk on. Im coming from the MTB world so i dont have any previous experience with other road pedals but i love these pedals. These combined with my S-works shoes makes for a very solid platform to mash on.

[Jul 08, 2007]
Glenn

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice cleat to walk in, wide, easy to snap into, and keeps foot close to the pedal.

None so far.

I have been using a Campy pedal for 7 years so I was reluctant to try someting different. I went with the Shimano pedal because the profile of the cleat is very easy to walk in and it moves the foot closer to the pedal than Campy. The float is kind of weird while pedaling on the flats, kind of like dull skates on ice, very slight. It was not a big deal to me and after 2 rides I forgot about it. My knees sometimes hurt with Campy but I have not noticed any such problem with the Shimano. This is much easier to snap into than Campy, out is about the same. Cleat is all plastic vs the half metal/half plastic of Campy. Footbed is wider than Campy which is nice because the pressure on your foot is more dispersed. Campy kind of focused the pressure on the balls of your foot (I have had some surgery on my one foot so I notice things like that). The Campy really lasted me a long time. I would have given this a 5 but I do not have it long enough to testify to the pedal or cleat being durable.

Campy, Look (I like the Look style of cleats)

[Jun 28, 2007]
Jules

OVERALL
Strength:

Very high quality, of course, and easy to use. No side-to-side slot, and very positive engagement, and relatively easy disengagement.

Float is weird. Not "free" float at all, but hard to figure out where pedal "centers." But not an issue in real life use, and no problems on a 5-hour ride. You do get the nagging feeling that you could get 90% of same pedal for 40% of the price going Ultegra.

Switching from SPDs to road pedals, and I was able to get a good deal on these. I'm using these with Shimano R215BE shoes, and the combination is very solid and supportive. Five hour rides are comfortable. Learning curve was pretty short, and its easy to pedal on the wrong side of the pedal when necessary.

Shimano 959s.