Shimano PD-A515 Pedals

Re-design for 2000: Wider platform and easy tension adjustment Single-sided engagement, recessed cleat convenience without the weight penalty of dual-sided ATB pedals Cartridge-style axle Uses SM-SH51 (stock) or the optional SM-SH55 multi-release cleat Weight (w/o cleats): 338g/pair

[Aug 11, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

SPD compatible, so I can use the same shoes and cleats as I have on my commuter bike (ie CONVENIENCE!)

A bit difficult to get into in a hurry, but that's not a big issue if you're out in the country and not having to clip in & out around town at every set of lights. A bit heavy for a serious racer (not me). The finish does scratch up a bit, but that's not really a biggie, is it?!

A good cross-over pedal for someone like me who is just getting into a bit of racing and doesn't want to have to buy yet another pair of bike shoes. They are a bit tricky to get into, but it's not so bad with a bit of practice. I wouldn't recommend these as a commuter pedal - you're better off getting a double-sided pair of standard MTB pedals that are easier to get into when taking off from the lights. I tried them on my trusty Trek 1000 workhorse for a while and have reverted back to the double-sided Wellgos for just this reason. Neither would I recommend these to someone who is just going to race - better to get some proper road shoes and pedals. Maybe these pedals are the "jack of all trades and master of none", but they suit my purposes quite nicely and at the price it was hard to argue!

Wellgo WPD-410 double-sided SPD

[Jul 27, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

If you can get your cleat in them, they work well for the price.

Shoddy finish is tore up after a few rides. This pedal isn't balanced correctly, and you have to flip them completely over to clip in. Dangerous in traffic.

I wanted to keep one system for both my bikes, so I picked a pair of these up. Overall they are decent, but with a slick bottomed show, these are nearly worthless, and dangerous, if you have to clip in and out for anything like traffic. I doubt I am going to have these another month.

Various Shimano SPD mountain pedals

[Sep 29, 2003]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice action with float. SPD's on all my bikes now. Includes pair of cleats in price (A$35 by themselves in Melbourne)

Entry rotates to bottom side and needs a flip with your toe to get in - this in no worse than older toe-clip style pedals (remember them?) I rarely put my feet down so not an issue.

Great pedals so I can keep the one cleat system for the whole fleet. I use a lightweight shoe for time trials on the road bike, and something a bit more grippy for off road or riding somewhere I need to be able to walk at the other end. No more slipping on my bum or walking like a duck.

[Sep 04, 2003]
Evileye

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, all metal cleat, which is durable and makes for easier walking, when off the bike. Works with SPD mountain bike pedal and shoe.

Small cleat does create a "hot spot" on the foot. A small amount of fore/aft float that is noticeable when pulling hard ,mainly on hills. Not enough pedal surface area in contact with cleat which allows the shoe to rock side-to-side which doesn't make for a solid feeling pedal. Pedal always rotates pedal down and has to be rotated to clip-in. That's not always the desirable at stoplights that just turn green, seeing that Shimano states these pedal as a 'Urban/multi-purpose'pedal. Once the pedal bearings ease up over time the pedal spins to freely, combined with short pedal length, makeing the pedal harder to rotate to the right side up without them flipping over again and again. Can be a bit noisy. I'd rather go with a double-side entry for urban use.

Inexspensive, entry-level road pedal that works with other SPD pedals on your mountain bike, commuter. Single-sided entry.

Wellgo, Campagnolo Pro-fit.

[Aug 24, 2003]
davy crockett

OVERALL
Strength:

SPD

VERY dangerous in traffic. Unacceptably so. One-sided SPDs. One side will wear 2x as fast as a double, that is if you survive long enought with these to wear them out. Cannot rate lower than a 1.

VER DANGEROUS IN TRAFFIC. Do not use these if you ride in traffic. They remain in a upside down position and you must take your eyes off the road and look down at them to clip in, unsless you are ver lucky. Hard to flip to the correct position. I remved them and garbage canned them after 200 miles.

Shimano, Look

[Aug 17, 2003]
ramirata

OVERALL
Strength:

Float is great Quick release

They don't sit right geting into them in a rush is impossible

I went with these pedals because I am a hard core Shimano pedal fan on my mountain bike. What a bad choice!! These pedals are miserable to get in because they are not balanced right and do not straight up. That nice blue finish is gone from trying to enter the wrong side. Once in, they are great. I love the release and float, but just not worth the hassle to click in.

Shimano mountain bike pedals

[Aug 02, 2003]
holtonh179

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to get out of without the possibility of accidental releases. The price won't send you to the poor house

A bit heavy for racing, and a bit slow to get into for racing. These two issues are non-issues if you're a recreational rider like me.

I used caged pedals until early this year. Switched to TIME ATAC pedal. Big mistake. After several near crashes due to the TIME pedal's near impossible release, I knew I had to change to a pedal that I could actually get my feet out of. And the PD-A515 did just that. I have used them for about 600 miles and have enjoyed them very much. One tip: spend a few extra bucks and buy the multi-release SM-SH55 cleats. That way, if you should stop to check out a pretty girl, you can swing your foot in any direction to instantly release, saving you an embarrassing crash in front of the fair maiden.

TIME ATAC (avoid all TIME pedals, unless you plan a visit to the emergency room).

[May 23, 2003]
Shiresdrinker

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Ability to wear mountain biking shoes which is a real bonus as can walk normally, colour (matches my bike) Nice amount of float, Easy clip out but no unwanted releases, easy to adjust.

Scratch very easily with cleats, weight, a bit awkward to clip in but hey, I ain't no Lance.

Cheap but not nasty. My first set of clipless but have tried others since and I will stick with these. Excellent recreational pedals.

Look, Time, SPD-R

[May 11, 2003]
Aaron

OVERALL
Strength:

looks, goes along with blue colored frames,and small

weight and takes too long to get clipped in... the pedal doesnt go straight up and down it goes backwards too much.... like most pedals are 12/6 o'clock angle.. these pedals are 10/4 o'clock angle, not good for racing

good looks, nice blue color, ok for training, but not good for racing.. at the start of a road race i was up front of the pack then when we were rolling out i lost about 80 places trying to get in the pedals

[Oct 28, 2002]
Mark Eichenberger

OVERALL
Strength:

Low cost. Two sided release. Allows use of mountain shoes for customers who have multiple bike with one set of shoes.

Extremely fiddly to get into. Waste lots of time. Dangerous in traffic.

This pedal allows the use of mountain bike shoes with a road style pedal. It is essentially a single sided version of the 515 mountain pedal.

Shimano 515 and Speedplay frog.