Shimano PD-A520 Pedals

Available At

• Aluminum/hight finisher body
  • Chrome-moly steel spindle
  • Recessed SPD system
  • Low maintenance sealed cartridge axle unit

[Jul 30, 2016]
Eugene Wolkow

OVERALL
Strength:

An SPD pedal for a road bike is a great idea. This is the way to go for commuting because of the walkability issue. Now I can use my road bike to commute to work as well as my mountain bike. However, there are some gross technical weaknesses with this pedal.

For one, it is not properly weighted and flips over on the non-rideable side more than half the time. Then, I have to flip them over with the toe front of the shoe to enable them to be engaged. Secondly, the springs are much too stiff, therefore it is difficult to get in and out. I had to loosen the engagement plates on my right pedal to allow me to engage and disengage. This is important in commuting, because of frequent stopping for red lights. Thirdly, the pedals are also heavy and seem out of place on a light racing road bike.

Great idea, but needs some improvement.

Ritchey V4 PRO is a pure mountain bike pedal with the desired entry and exit characteristics the the PD-A520 doesn't have

[Jul 20, 2011]
mike D

OVERALL
Strength:

cleat compatability, wont ruin shoes like egg beaters or time!!!, spd lasts forever, one sided means light weight, good platform, good price, shoot i love it all.

getting in and out can take a little attention sometimes, but if im drilling out a 3 hr ride, i clip in and dont clip out again until im home.

im a mountain biker at heart and i ride spd, so these are the lightest best road spd pedals i could find (for a sensible price). they grab tight, i love the platform, i can pull the entire circle of my stroke without feeling play, weight is fine, theres nothing bad about these things. and for anyone thinking of paying double for the a600's, the weight difference is not even a mouthful of water.

wellgo w01, egg beaters, shimano xt pedals (on my mtb)

[Nov 05, 2010]
steve pugh

OVERALL
Strength:

loads strong reliable etc

alittle heavy thats it realy

great pedal who said you cant win the tour with these are kidding ilove them won loads of races whie using these pedals 40 miles plus

look

[Jun 09, 2010]
F.Gauthier

OVERALL
Strength:

Usable with mtb shoes,low maintenance,easy to adjust tension and lightweight

a little bit tricky to engage, maybe it depends on brand of mtb shoe you use,mine are northwave touring shoe

very good pedal, give a good support and also lightweight, a good quality price ratio

mtb evo, shimano pdm-520

[Feb 16, 2010]
Amfoto1

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, smooth, and relatively inexpensive. Adjustable tension. Low maintenance (so far). Allow you to use walkable shoes, also ideal if you switch back and forth to a compatible MTB pedal on another bike at times.

A little heavy. A little tricky to clip into at first (depends upon shoe to some degree). Be cautious with multi-release cleats on these (SH-52, for example). They can release unexpectedly. I use SH-51 (single release) for this reason.

I have two sets of these "commuter/touring" pedals on different bikes now. They're great, so long as you have reasonable expectations. First, they are not a dual side pedal as some others seemed to expect (Shimano and others do make dual sided: clips on one side, platform on the other. But they're a lot bigger and heavier). A520 simply have a larger platform area around the clip. Second, like most clipless pedals, they hang vertically so you have to get used to rotating them to clip in. It becomes second nature pretty quickly. Because they use the SPD SH-51 cleat, you can use them with walkable "mountain" or "cross" shoes, my main reason for trying A520 in the first place (I'm using Shimano MD86 shoes with them). A520 are little bit heavy, but spin well in spite of it. These are one of the few SPD commuter/touring type pedals with adjustable tension and choice of cleat release types. You may want to adjust tension as your cleats wear over time.

Various Shimano, Look, Wellgo, etc. road and MTB pedals. Older Shimano Dura Ace 7410 and Ultegra 6500 pedals are similar, but more road race oriented pedals, with little or no platform area, and technically use a different cleat (altho some seem to use them okay with SH-51s).

[Aug 04, 2009]
fuzzmartin

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable
Big platform
Strong cleat

Weighted awkwardly
Relatively heavy

I originally purchased the A520s for my Trek 7.3 FX hybrid. Then I decided to upgrade to a full-fledged road bike (a Giant Defy 1). The Defy comes with Crank Brothers Smarty pedals. The Smarties are junk compared to the 520s. Where the Smarties are full of lateral play, the Shimanos are adjustable to your preferences. I like that you can actually feel and hear yourself click in with these pedals/cleats.

I am not a big fan of the weighting on the pedals, however. They tend to flip upside down a bit too often for my taste. After a few miles in the saddle, though, flipping them right side up will become second nature.

The A520 pedals also have more of a platform than a lot of the other SPD-style pedals, which makes for a more comfortable ride. I don't get the hotspots in my shoes like I tend to with the smaller Smarty pedals.

Crank Brothers Smarty

[Jun 03, 2009]
txirrindulari

OVERALL
Strength:

Compatibility with SPD cleats.

Can be difficult to orient at first.

Like most of the reviewers, I bought these for compatibility with my MTB pedals and shoes. They accomplish that nicely.

I have noticed the weighting problem others point out, that the pedal is often upside down at the top of the stroke. What I found (after a couple months' experimentation) is that the pedal is usually hanging back down on the upward half of the pedal stroke. If I start the cleat in at about 9 o'clock, I can usually click in at the top of the stroke. As this got more ingrained, I found myself liking the pedals more and more.

Various Shimano SPD pedals on mountain bikes. No other road pedals used.

[Apr 27, 2008]
cmtr

OVERALL
Strength:

The SPD side works very well, in fact better than I expected. Maybe because I used to ride with Nashbar or Performance imitations in the past, never Shimano?

Clipping in and out is very easy and repeatable, with a positive click.

No accidental unclippings.

Wider platform eliminated hot spots I used to get with Crank Bros and Bebop pedals on longer rides (40-50 miles).

Platform side not flat. I don't like slight bulge over the axle, doesn't feel good through a soft sole.

Platform cage is also very smooth, making this side very slippery when wet.

Pedals are not well weighed. They usually position themselves with the SPD side down, but do so reluctantly and not always fully. Sometimes they get stuck somewhere in between. The end result is that I pretty much always have to look down to clip in.

I bought these for my commuter, hoping I could use them with normal shoes for running errands. I like them as a clip-in pedal, but the platform side is a big disappointment.

Crank Bros, Bebop, platform pedals

[Mar 27, 2008]
renan riguera

OVERALL
Strength:

stiffer than standard mountain pedals.

heavy compared to pure road pedals. Still not as stiff

Big improvement in comfort from previous product used-pdm540. NO more sore foot on long rides. I suppose using road pedals will improve sole stiffness and performance even more. But I personally like using mountain shoes over road shoes when out of the bike

[Feb 24, 2008]
siclmn

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good.

Pedals are not weighted so they will flip in the right entry position.

I needed something cheap for riding around town. I would have sworn that Shimano would have weighted these pedals so they would flip down when released, but nooooo. You must look down to see if the pedal is upside down before you try to clip in and half the time they are.

speedplays

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.