Shimano PD-A525 Pedals

SPD system / chrome-moly spindle / sealed cartridge bearing / cleat retention indicator / adjustable cleat tension / silver or white-violet

[Aug 24, 2003]
davy crockett

OVERALL
Strength:

FIts Shimano SPD cleats.

See above. Also , a one sided SPD will wear out in half the time of a double sided one.

These have one side to clip in and I have found that the cleat side usually is down. This makes it hard to clip in without looking--very dangerous at times. There is nothing to catch on them so that that can be easily flipped right side up. Just as likely to flip them the wrong way unless you look. Could just depend on luck to get it right, but with one clip in side, your luck will be 50-50 at most. Decided to take them off because of the danger of use in traffic.

Other shimano peds, as well as Look (although they aren't really similar. They actually were safe and usable

[Jun 06, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought my bike with these pedals already on it and decided to try clipless they are easy to clip into and release when I want them to. They work well with the multi release cleats I selected.

I have yet to find anything major, but they have released a couple times when pulling up hard (this could be the cleats I chose).

These have been a great first clipless experience for me. A couple of my buddies who are long time high mileage guys use the same pedals and are as pleased as I am. The big S never seems to let me down, although the jury is still out on the MTB pedals.

Shimano M535 MTB pedals ( not as user friendly)

[Jan 12, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

hard wearing, ease of entry and release

its spd, weight

I used this pedal for 2 years and was always fidling with the cleat - I could never get the correct position. I came to the conclusion that spd was not for me and I have changed to Bebop. Now all my knee problems have gone - I just love that float.

I do not know who should buy this pedal. I bought it because I had TO90 shoes that fitted mtb cleats and I ride on the road - should have bought double sided pedal.

The fact that after much fidling with the cleats I have come to the conclusion that spd is not for me is not really a bad point for the pedal.

Other spd