Shimano PD-R535 Pedals

Resin composite body for lightness and performance riding SPD-R technology at an affordable price point Adjustable strength and serviceability Uses: SM-SH90 / SM-SH91 / SM-SH92 style cleats (comes w/ SM-SH91 cleat) Weight (pair) w/o cleats: 318 grams Use: Amateur racing / General road riding

[Feb 07, 2004]
Kevin McNeese

OVERALL
Strength:

Bang for the Buck. Secure feel. Low profile. Strong back/up stroke.

They do get banged up easily, but I am not concerned with looks.

I am new to cycling and bought a used Lemond roadbike. Replace the Time pedals with Shimanos. It did take a little getting used to clipping in but once I am in I feel very confident and secure in these pedals. With other pedals I still felt "on" the pedal. With these I feel like I am "part" on the bike. I ride 3 to 4 times a week. 10 to 20 mile per ride.

Time, Look.

[Jan 27, 2004]
shokhead

OVERALL
Strength:

Good bang for your buck

Its not being one sided as others have said.How many road pedals are two sided?

Easy to use

545's

[Nov 15, 2003]
Kurt

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice "solid" feel - cleat system gives good power transfer, no rocking. Demonstrated strength - I crashed hard enough to "expend" a helmet, put a scar on my ankle and leave a deep groove in the resin of the pedal frame, but the shaft did not bend. Is it cracked? Maybe, but I put another 4000 km on the bike since then, so probably not...

Single-sided design makes them hard to get into, and you can't push on the back side. This makes them difficult in city traffic (I don't know how to do a track stand). Only very expensive shoes have the central slot required to properly align the cleat with your foot - everything else extends an SPD slot, and you can't really get the cleat lined up.

I wanted to get into an "enthusiast" cleat system, and this was the cheapest way to do it. For the highway riding that is typical of what I do, I found them completely satisfactory with my bottom-of-the-line Specialized "Body-Geometry" shoes. I crashed them pretty good once and they didn't bend.

Welgo PD-9 (no longer available, unfortunately - the cleats were very low profile so with a recreational shoe you could actually walk on rubber rather than steel.)

[Oct 23, 2003]
Cletus

OVERALL
Strength:

Low profile, cheap, good cleats

Harder to clip in than Looks (smaller front hook area). Can get stuck on occasion

These came std on my Avanti Kona. I was quite happy with them wrt the cleat system, which has the rubber bumpers - much nicer for walking on polished floors. But they do tend to seize on long rides - another reviewer suggested that they're picking up dirt. I couldn't see any in the mechanism (I checked after the second fall!) but its possible the rain had washed the lube out...

Looks

[Oct 16, 2003]
FastCarl

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, weight, feel.

One sided. And I'm assuming that they won't last as long as a more expensive pedal but time will tell.

Many moons ago I used the Time ATAC carbon pedals when I lived in Boston. Great pedal but small platform. These have a large and comfy playform but are one sided. Just like any pedal, it takes a little practice to get used to the clip in and out but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. Very comfortable ride.

Time ATAC carbon

[Sep 08, 2003]
DJones

OVERALL
Strength:

Not knowing what to expect from a pedal, I have found these pedals great, tension control system, easy in & out of and steardy!

none thus far

Came as stock on my new bike. First clip-in pedal used.

[Jul 29, 2003]
etothexdydx

OVERALL
Strength:

In the event that you are able to clip in, the float is moderately smooth and disengagement is quick. Also, the pedal is inexpensive and serviceable.

Clip-in is horrible.

The pedals are very difficult to clip into, even when one is using a touring-type shoe with ridges and the pontoons to guide the cleat into the pedal. The plastic body is easily marred by failed clip-in attempts. If clip-in is unsuccessful, there is a high probability that the cleat will slip on the face of the pedal, thereby forcing your foot to abruptly slide off the pedal and your nuts to immediately mash the top tube. Not a good thing. In addition, the pedal is not prone to quick clip-in at stop lights and cannot be pushed without the cleat engaged. As a result, use this pedal only if start-stops are not part of your ride.

Time Equipe, Look, Ritchey SPD, Speedplay.

[Apr 12, 2003]
Sarah

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to get in and out of... when they're clean. The price really isn't too bad for them... pedals can be pricey these days!!! For that the value goes WAAAY UP!!

I rode with these pedals when it was a little wet and they picked up a lot of dirt from the road, and they're a little stubborn to get in and out of when they've got any dirt on them at all. Other than that, good pedal.

These pedals came stock on my Giant TCR-1. I love the bike and the pedals match the color scheme nicely (which is ALWAYS IMPORTANT). They are good pedals, I guess. I'd go with the new Lance pedals though. I noticed a review that said they create "hotspots" on your feet. I noticed a little of that when i was riding as well... but I don't think it's anything that's too bad. A good shoe should help with that (I prefer Carnacs).

Egg beaters for mountain bike and before that some other crappy shimano spds

[Mar 26, 2003]
shokhead

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to use

one sided

Works and looks good.Very easy to go into and out.By far the best I've had so far.

545's and time atac carbon

[Dec 04, 2002]
ozrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Price Build

Not for my feet.

These are a well assembled pedal with nice looks and a price to performance ratio that is hard to beat. I have to say that the cleat on the SPD-R system created some pretty painful "hotspots" om my feet. No amount of fine tuning corrected the problem. These pedals are probably fine for most people, but hey, pedals are a pretty personal thing and Shimano can't be expected to get it right for everyone. On the bright side, they are easy to engage for a single sided clipless mech system. I've gone back to my trusty Looks.

Looks