Speedplay Light Action Chrome-Moly Pedals

Best Price At

The Speedplay Light Action Pedal System is designed for the seasoned cyclist or for the first time clipless user. It features an advanced hybrid-pedal technology that combines the most user-friendly characteristics found in Speedplay's popular X and Zero road pedals. At a mere 210 grams per pair, Speedplay Light Action pedals blend the legendary ease-of-entry and non-centering free-float of Speedplay's X Pedal System together with the robust spring design and enhanced durability of Speedplay's Zero Pedal System. Named "Light Action" after its unique low-force, high-security latch mechanism, the new Speedplay Light Action Pedal System provides the easiest and most intuitive entry and release functions ever offered by Speedplay. While Speedplay's primary design goal was to create the most user-friendly clipless pedal system ever, Light Action pedals continue to provide the same cutting-edge performance benefits that have made Speedplay pedals legendary, including: Dual-sided pedal allows instant "no-looking-down" entry. No flipping needed to engage. Self-locating cleat guides the entry motion and eliminates fumbling to find the pedal. True-locking engagement mechanism provides security and prevents inadvertent release. 15 degrees of non-centering free-float reduces stress on the knees. Large, stable cleat platform for optimal power transmission and all-day comfort. Extremely light weight pedals and cleats improve riding efficiency. Pedals weigh a mere 210 grams per pair. Thin pedal body provides the lowest stack height and best cornering clearance available. Simple cleat mounting and adjustment makes set-up easy. Precision cartridge and needle bearings for reduced friction and longer life. Built-in grease-port for fast and easy bearing maintenance. Choice of four great pedal color choices: Black, Blue, Pink and Red. Please Note: Speedplay recommends these Light Action Pedals for recreational road use only. The reality is that the spring tension is too light for racing or competitive purposes under hard efforts.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

[Dec 14, 2013]
Blackbeerthepirate

OVERALL
Strength:

By far the easiest to clip in and out of. Loads of adjustments.

The cleats can get gummed up pretty easy. Fast fix for that is covers. Wake up Speedplay! Bare cleats on a slick surface can be interesting.

Once set up properly, these are my favorite pedal/cleat system for the road. Setting them up can be a little tricky but that is only because of the adjustability. The included shims and guide are perfect for most applications but when setting up smaller shoes, they can be a little off. GF has tiny feet so has a more pronounced curve on her Sidi's, but you get plenty of shims to work with. I've heard of screws loosening on cleats but have never experienced this. That said, I do use a little Loctite blue and a cheap torque wrench. Once you get your cleat in the right spot, check that it is level with a straight edge. If they are a little tweaked, getting in and out can be a pain.

The cleats can get dirty pretty easy. If you need to trek through deep mud or dirt to ride, find something else. I use the Keep on Covers and have almost no issues. These keep you up out of anything but the deepest crud, keep you from slipping when you put your foot down to stop and kind of funnel the pedal into the cleat. The covers protect the cleat from getting scuffed up too. With several thousand miles on them mine look brand new. Maintenance is quick and easy. When I clean my bikes drivetrain I wipe the cleat and put some dry lube on it. Since you never know where you might have to do some walking, make sure you can clean up a dirty cleat while riding.

The first time I used these I threw the cleats and pedals on and went for a tune up ride. I'd stop and adjust the cleats a little until I had them right. Went home and tightened everything up to go on my maiden voyage. did a nice 20 mile ride trying everything I could to make them fail. Nothing. Everything worked perfectly. Clipping in and out was effortless. They held my feet planted no matter what I did. Finish my ride and pull up behind my car, unclip my right foot and plant it . I'm just about to break my arm patting myself on the back for my perfect ride. Sunglasses off, hang helmet from stem, step off with my left foot, forgetting I was still clipped in and do that slooooow fall to the left. Grabbed the bars and tucked in and just kind of rolled onto my back with my left foot still on the pedal and the bike straight above me. I lie there trying to figure out if everything is okay. I'm fine, the bike is fine, so I straighten my leg and twist my foot to unclip. Nothing, I'm just waving my bike around in the air. I grab the bars and twist and the bike lets go and thumps me pretty good in the jewels. I wasn't fine after that, so DON"T DO THAT.

[Jun 13, 2011]
Howard Coon

OVERALL

I'm primarily a recreational rider but since I ride hard and weigh 200 lbs, I don't think that adequately describes the load I put on my equipment. These pedals have never let me down. I would disagree with the comments on here that the cleats require a lot of maintenance. I've been using mine for 4 years. I've replaced the cleats once and cleaned them maybe two or three times. I never find a problem clipping in or out becuase of dirt.

Pedal axles should be lubed annually and screws in the pedal plates tightened once a month.

Shimano SPD

[Feb 27, 2011]
Kevin

OVERALL
Strength:

Not cheap for the low-end, non-racing version Easy in and out, and the small pedal helps avoid pedal strike.

The cleats get jammed up so easily that when I have to walk across a patch of Ice, I cant get clipped in again until the Ice in the cleat melts, or I have to walk around stomping to get it out, and when there is a gravel parking area at the start of the race, I have to walk my bike barefoot to the edge of the pavement, then put my shoes on to avoind messing up the pedal.

I saw the “for recreational use only’ warning on the box and I was opening it, and completely ignored it. Although I am a racer, I know my limitations, and producing huge sprint power is not something I’m likely to ever do. Furthermore, I’v been on some lively morning group rides with recreational riders whom I’m sure produce as much force when accelerating to the front of the pack as many racers will in a sprint. The whole Idea that a racer does something to a pedal that doesn’t happen in a recreational ride is silly. Although I’ve only done a few races on the pedals so far, I’ve done plenty of sprint training on the trainer during which I’m sure I produce more power due to the fact that 100% of my effort is concentrated on turning the pedals, not steering or balance, and I’ve had no problem with pulling out of them. I was mountain biking before I started road riding using SPD pedals, I was accustomed to Crankbrothers’ 4-sided entry hated the fact that they were one-sided and I had to look down and kick the pedal into position before I could clip in. I tried road racing on eggbeaters, but didn’t like the way that I had to coast through more turns without pedaling to avoid pedal strikes, then sprint back up to the pack. I was also used to having some float and my knees used to ache a little after a long ride with my feet locked into one position wit the SPDs. After an initial break-in period while I had to apply a lot of force to get them go clipping the Speed plays felt like so nice; just being able to stomp on the right spot to clip in and having the float solved the knee issues. Riding outdoors with these pedals has exposed some weaknesses though

Eggbeaters, SPDs

[Dec 22, 2009]
saddlesnifer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, easy in, easy out!

maybe setting up the cleats on the shoe

These pedals are the bomb! I am new to road riding and I orginally had shimano pedals on my ride. Since I am new to riding the shimano pedals where tough to unclip from. I would start to sweat when I saw a stop sign or red light coming. Once I build up my confidence I may switch back to the shimano but for now these speedplays are the way to go!

shimano spd

[Dec 10, 2009]
Tommy Walker

OVERALL
Strength:

- Lightweight
- easy in, more important to me easy out

The only weakness is the platfrom uses a lot of hardware on the shoe. It's no big deal, but the weight of the shoe and the pedal are about the same as most other pedals.

Sppedplay pedals are great. I chose the Light Action pedals because I am a Recreational Rider and they serve that purpose; if you are a racer then the Zero's are a better choice. I wanted easy out access.

Shimano SPD's

[Dec 08, 2009]
riverviewjohn

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy clip in, just step on the "lollipop" and give a slight twist. Fantastic amount of float. Easy to clip out.

Fine road grit.

These were my first clipless pedals, initially I loved them. The large amount of float is very easy on the knees. Clipping in and out is very easy, until you get a little grit in the cleat. Once that happens clipping in can be stiff, and clipping out difficult, not a good surprise after a long ride. With a slight redesign that would give the grit someplace to go I'd used them again.

Dry lube does help, but the cleats still need disassembled and cleaned every other ride. I couldn't see doing a century in them just for that reason.

If you don't mind the maintenance? Great pedals.

Look Keo Classics

[Jul 11, 2009]
Barbara B

OVERALL
Strength:

Double-sided

Small platform area and difficult to get in.

These are my first clipless pedals and I find them difficult to get in because of the small sweet spot surface. I don't like the float because I feel like my foot is slipping around too much. The cleats also require more maintenance than I would like. If you get grit in the cleat, it's even more difficult to get clipped in. I have tried a pair of Look Keos and will probably be switching over soon.

[Jul 01, 2009]
huntda

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy in/out, free float up to 20 degrees.

Replacement cleats are expensive; about $40. These cleats require maintenance; greasing the pedal bearings and lubricating the cleat itself. The interior cleat platform will also wear against the pedal surface quickly, causing an incorrect foot position.

These were my first clipless pedal. I commute about 15 miles a day and then do long rides on the weekends; 50+ miles. These pedals can cause hot spots because the contact surface is limited. They are good pedals for more senor cyclists like myself who need lots of float; however, they do require more maintenance that other pedals, at least that is what I've learned from friends who ride with Shimano 105's or Crank Bros egg beaters. I'm looking for a different pedal now, with more platform surface and one that does not wear the inside surface of the cleat, causing the foot NOT to position perpendicular to the pedal contact surface. This will cause knee and back pain too.

Platform pedals.

[Aug 05, 2008]
dan mottern

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to get in out

none yet

Just picked these up a few weeks ago. They are great pedals. I am new to road biking and these pedals are super easy to get in and out of.

crank bros

[Jul 20, 2008]
ASHLEY LUKE

OVERALL
Strength:

Float - easy on knees
Easy latching process

I'm writing to share my experience about this product.
I used to have severe knee pain while riding longer than 60 minutes. Reading the FAQS on the company website and talking to customer service I nailed my choice to the "LightAction" Pedals.
I have been using these pedals over the last 3 months and I really love these pedals. They have been great on my knees and were easy to get in and out; especially for me being a newbie to the "clipless" pedals. This product was used along with Specialized BG Road shoes. Highly recommend this product to newbies and folks with knee pain.

NA

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.