Speedplay Zero Cromoly Pedals

Best Price At

The Chrome-Moly spindles on Speedplay's entry-level set of Zero pedals makes them the most affordable in the Zero family. They only cause them to weigh 4g more than the Zero stainless, though. 210g/pr. You can choose either a fixed position or up to 15 degrees of float. Zero pedals maintain the traditional feel of a fixed system while incorporating all the well-known advantages of Speedplay X Pedal Systems. Dual-sided Zero pedals offer light weight, easy engagement and disengagement, a low 11.5mm stack height and superior cornering clearance. The engagement mechanism does not rely on spring tension for retention, so you don't have to crank down a tension adjuster just to prevent inadvertent release. Best of all, you can choose either a fixed position or a microadjustable 15 degrees of float. Comes with cleats (and mounting hardware) compatible with virtually every road shoe in the marketplace.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

[Jul 27, 2013]
Mike Sweeney

OVERALL
Strength:

Low stack height, double sided entry, light weight

Knee tweaker, variable click in and out force, walking on metal cleats, susceptible to dirt contamination

I've used these pedals and cleats for 7 years and have finally realized why my knees hurt. Get some dirt in the cleats and the click in and out force goes way up! Enough to really tweak your knee. The release mechanism relies on a open ring of solid steel open ring (spring) resting in a plastic cavity. Really bad design for dirt getting in the cavity increasing friction (release force). The spring has to open up to release from the pedal. If there is dirt in the spring cavity, it gets REAL HARD to open up the spring! Since you walk right on the cleat, dirt gets in.

Don't want to have to get knee surgery so these pedals are hitting the trashcan.

Changing to Shimano, reliable force and much less susceptible to contamination plus no walking on hard and slippery metal plates.

Shimano SPD-SL, Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals

[Jul 08, 2012]
ryanberg

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight
Two sided
You can adjust float

The amount of inward float was too much for me.

I really like these because of two sided idea, but the amount of inward float is too much for me so I got the zeros. I found if you limit the inward float to 0 you can unclip by twisting in, so what I did was drill the base plate to take out some of the inward float out. Now they work perfect for me plus the drilling gave me engineering work to do at home.

Mountain bike pedals

[Dec 23, 2010]
jejpage

OVERALL
Strength:

Float adjustment, inside/outside setup. Larger area to power down, going up those lumps with better speed now.

None so far, do get the coffee caps so to not root the cleats.

very solid from the first ride. Hips, knees and general alignment from the saddle & below just felt more right. Exactly what I was hoping for with this product; as I've been a look Keo rider for many years. Plenty of breaking in to do for entry/exit, but ces't la vie. Hardly a drama.

Look Keo Classic

[Dec 22, 2010]
LBailey

OVERALL
Strength:

Firm, solid, integrated feeling
Cost
Two-sided entry

Requires more maintenance than Look/Shimano pedals

I just upgraded to the Zeros from the Light Action. The LAs were good but I needed something "firmer" with more of a platform to accelerate/climb on. The zeros have a very positive feel, firmer tension and I love being able to dial in the float to exactly what I (and my knees) need. I feel the Zeros really "integrate" better with the cleat to form one solid unit. The stronger I got the more I experienced hot spots with the LAs and the "spongier" they felt under my feet. The Zeros have eliminated all of that. Very good pedals.

I chose the cro-mos over the stainless as the $65 price difference didn't seem to make sense for 4gm of weight savings. I used the cro-mo LAs and experienced to rust or corosion issues.

[May 28, 2010]
rielid

OVERALL
Strength:

Double sided entry.
Adjustable float.
Good warranty service.

Need to regularly service them with a grease gun.
Cleats are not walkable at all.
Replacement parts are very expensive.

Too high maintenance for me. I used them for a few months on my commute to work.
Walking with the cleats on to my desk was too difficult, so I took them off my commuter bike. A few months later, I took them out to put them on my road bike, and discovered they didn't spin.
Luckily I had the receipt, so I could send them in for warranty repairs. Speedplay told me that I had not serviced them, and so it was technically out of warranty, but they repaired it as a courtesy.

Good thing, too, since a rebuild kit costs about as much as the retail price of the chro-moly pedals.

It was my first set or clipless pedals ever, and I assumed they didn't need regular service. Bad assumption. If you don't mind servicing your pedals regularly, these should be fine.

[Apr 14, 2010]
Lowflyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Firm feel
Double-sided entry
Adjustable float
Long distance comfort

A little learning curve for clipping in.

I am relatively new to road cycling, and these are my first clipless pedals. However, I can say that I have had no issues whatsoever with any aspect of using this system. It was easy to learn, easy to set up, and they work well even with my inexpensive Shimano SPD shoes. I have no hot spots or other comfort issues. My rides have been 30-60 miles at a 16 mph average pace.

[Sep 14, 2009]
ahoeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid feel, adjustable float, rebuild-able to a point, able to ride short distance with normal shoes.

Locating cleat on the pedal can be tricky, no adjustable tension.

Solid cleat. Offers a very solid feel even for rider of my size (225, 6'4"). Choose over LOOK keos for the adjustable float and the fact that you ride short distances without cycling shoes. Steep learning curve when it came to locating the cleat on the pedal for click in. However clicking out is extremely easy and takes no time to learn. Do not plan on walking anywhere over 20 feet with these cleats. If you are a beginner would recommend buying lower end shoes, ie cheap nashbar knock offs less then $40, to learn how to step in so you don't trash the bottom of a nice new carbon road shoe.

LOOK keo classic and sprint.

[May 01, 2009]
Snufkin

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of float.
Very secure.
Easy clip in.

Hotspots.

I tried these pedals as I thought the large amount of float might help my knee problems. They seemed to do so, at least not agrievating them. Clip in was positive and easy once I got used to it and I felt very secure in the pedals. I was really liking them until I took the bike out for a long ride. I started getting hotspots after 60 miles and by 70 my toes were tingling and I was really uncomfortable. This is a problem I've never experienced with my old Look pedals. This renders them useless to me and I've put my Look Keos back on.

Look Keo

[Jul 20, 2008]
Stretch12

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy of entry, adjustable float 0 -15 degrees, positive entry (click), good overall "customization".

They do get clogged up with dirt, as has been mentioned by others. So if you're doing a ride where you will be walking in the dirt, such as the CA Death Ride, buy the cleat covers and you're good.

After around 500 miles give or take, I am impressed with these pedals. I bought them because I had heard several people recommend them for knee issues, due to the float. Well, I can't say they've cured my bad knees, but they are easy to get in and out of, very adjustable for float, centering of cleat, and they provide good power distribution. They do need regular lube to help cleanly engage/disingage.

Shimano SPD

[Jun 25, 2008]
KC

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, float, clearance.

Tight disengagement, small platform for large shoes

Getting better all the time, but these things start out scary. First few panic stops, expect to feel pavement. Long break in period, but once you're moving on them, they have plenty of float for any riding position and no knee problems or hot spots. The platform is great for cornering, but a little small for a size 11 shoe when standing. Clicks good to let you know your in. Needs lub every couple of rides and cleaning with brush if you turf or gravel the cleats. Great value for the price.

Old clip pedals

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.