Speedplay Zero Track Pedals

Best Price At

-Fixed or float, your choice.
-Dual-sided for easy, no-look engagement.
-Choice of fixed or limited float that can be precisely micro-adjusted anywhere within a 0-15 degree range using inward rotation and outward rotation limit screws.
-11.5 mm stack height for optimal power transfer (8.5 mm on 4-hole mounting).
-Unbeatable cornering clearance: Stainless - 37 degrees; Titanium - 39 degrees.

[Aug 01, 2019]
mrmarbury

OVERALL
Strength:

I don't know what the other reviewers do ?!!?!? I use these solely in fixed crits and on the track/oval. Also they are very popular in such races BECAUSE of their good foot retention. I have never disengaged form any of my 2 sets of Track Specials by because the pedal did not hold the pressure and I ride 0-float with them. It is basically impossible if you don't twist your ankle beyond the disengagement position or have them aligned wrong and with not enough float for your riding style. You have to destroy the shoe or the pedal to get out by pulling upwards. I have seen a ripped-off sole once with the ripped off part safely attached to the pedal. With Look/SL/SPD/Eggbeaters it is very well possible to disengage by pulling upwards and it happens. I saw it and it happened to me while I did a test ride on a track bike and I only had SPD XTR to put on that day and I ripped the shoe clean out of the pedal during back pedalling which is scary enough in traffic. The pedal was at max spring tension because I expected this to happen anyway. If people disengage from a speedplay by accident then maybe they have to monitor and adjust their foot position while riding, install and adjust the cleats accurately, train their muscles to not let the foot tilt in any weird and unhealthy position, or adjust the float wide enough. The float can be adjusted so wide that it seriously takes a lot of weird foot movement to unclip by accident. And I really read such things for the first time ever. Seriously I rip at those pedals like a maniac when sprinting or start skid-stopping at around 50km/h in a crit or training. And with 95kg I am not a lightweight fellow. It cannot happen due to the way they are built, if it is not you that disengages them. On the contrary I have track sprint buddies with well under 80kg that complain that it is so hard to disengage the Track Special that they would never ride them on the street. Also the double-sidedness Is a real advantage in a standing start where Look/SL girls and guys fiddle with their Pedal and with a Speedplay you just step on and are good to go. The size of the pedal adds some lean when cornering which is also nice in fixed gear situations. I ride them every day for thousands of km now, btw

Need some care like greasing the pedals like every season and spraying some silicone spray at the cleats from time to time. The manual says every other day but I do it when I feel that engaging becomes harder. Other than that I never had any trouble with them

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2019
[Jul 24, 2010]
Mike T.

OVERALL
Strength:

None that I can think of.

Almost no retention tension. They need some form of tension adjustment as it was too weak for the road, never mind the track.
Dangerous as a track pedal.

I bought these "track" pedals especially for the track, hoping that they would have firm release tension - as was advertised. But they were awful with almost no retention. I popped my foot out twice on the steep banking which is an absolute no-no on a 50 degree track banking. I quickly took them off the bike. A major disappointment.

[Sep 01, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

They are not safe at locking the pedal, they were very dangerous and constantly disengaged though tout all 3 rides I did with them.

I was very disappointed with these pedals. I've been riding speedplays for years and have always loved them for their durability and quality, not to mention the ride. Right away I noticed these new pedals where made of cheaper materials. After 100 yards of using them I also noticed how cheap they performed as they constantly disengaged, usually on upstrokes. I thought for the price I would be getting near top of the line quality and since they where speed plays I didn't even investigate first, boy was that a mistake, turns out a lot of people have had this problem. I even read somewhere that the springs don't work for the first ride? What kind of BS is that, they don't in fact work for the first 3 rides as far as I can tell, I even had the screws so loose one time there was play. Don't buy these, they are a rip off, I returned mine and had to pay a 15% restock for the privilege.

Have always used speed plays since going clipless.

[Sep 01, 2007]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Have always used speed plays since going clipless.

[Feb 23, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Compared to my old Ultegras I can't think of any at all. I guess there is one - when pulling straight up it's not possible to pull out of them. That's it though.

Much too easy to get out of for a track pedal. No retainer spring tension adjustment - this is crucial. Much harder to get into than my Ultegras. Too finiky - they keep repeating "Don't tighten the cleat screws too tight!" Give me a break.

I bought these Track Zeros hoping for the ultimate track pedal. They are much too easy to get out of. It takes almost no sideways shoe energy to make a release. I was up the banking last week, got out of the saddle and 'Pop' I was out! That was scary and I was lucky I didn't crash. It happened twice on the same night too. I've been very timid since then.
I'd adjusted the outer rotation stop as far out as possible so that it would take a lot of heel movement to even get to the release point but this didn't help. I phoned the factory and they were no help. They didn't even want me to return them from Canada. To save my skin they're coming off the bike and the Shimano Ultegras are going back on. I wasted my time and money. They're going on e-bay.