Time Criterium Pro Pedals

Aluminum body and steel axle.

[Jul 08, 2004]
Evolution

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability - my first pair has 13000 miles on it and it is still in superb functional shape. Platform size - for long rides, no other system has done so well in keeping my feet and ankles from fatiguing. Retention - aside from track pedals, I haven't found anything to have more positive retention. Cleat position - the main brass cleat's being in line between the pedal spindle and your ankle joint makes for good power transfer on the upstroke. These pedals are quite elegant in their design, much unlike the new IMPACTs. The IMPACT design is significantly lighter, compatible with more shoes, more adjustable (although the effectiveness of the adjustability is debatable), and of course easier to get now, but my biggest complaint about IMPACT is that they just don't hold up like their predecessors do.

Except for the polished aluminum body version of this pedal (Criterium Pro, the one reviewed here), paint comes right off of these pedal bodies with use. Brass cleats don't help the situation. They're heavy at 460g/pr and the cleats aren't light either. They're not made any more! It's hard to walk in the cleats, but why are people walking in the cleats?

I bought my first pair of TIME pedals used to put on my first road bike, after having tried LOOK and Shimano pedals and being dissatisfied with their degree of retention. TIME was exactly what I needed, and I have found it to be superior in many other ways since I began using it, and remained fond of the TIME design ever since. 5 overall since funcionality is worth the extra weight to me. 5 for value since the per-year investment ends up being so low with this product's durability.

LOOK of various qualities Shimano SPD 1st- and 2nd-generation TIME (Titan, sport) Next-generation TIME (Impact)

[Sep 13, 2002]
Al Dente

OVERALL
Strength:

Look pedals are good but I like Time better. They are easier to get in to, easier to get out of, don't require tention adjustment, won't accidently release, and are more comfortable. Metal Time cleats last longer than plastic Look ones. Time pedals give you lateral as well as rotational float.

They are heavier. The float isn't free, spring tention tries to center you; this might cause knee problems for some riders. The cleats are even harder to walk in than Look road cleats. A bit expensive; I purchased mine used on Ebay.

I've been using Look pedals since the mid '80's. Nice pedals; my only problem was that when I switched from toe clips/straps to Look pedals I had to raise my seat so the post was above the "max" line. After all these years of riding like that I decided to try Time pedals so I could lower my seat to the safe range.

Look pedals, Campy and campy-like quil pedals with toe-clips/straps

[Apr 26, 2002]
remora

OVERALL
Strength:

Once clipped in, it stays clipped. I can pedal hard, pedal with confidence. Lotsa float. Durability.

Somewhat difficult to clip in on the fly. Heavy. Clits are @#%#$! difficult to walk around with. Needs adaptor for shoes.

I wanted something different, and better performance than Look. With a little more float, but not too much like Speedplay, decided to go with Times TBT since the Time ATAC on my mtnbike has been impressive. Not exactly the best for clipping in from traffic, but once in, your shoes stay in no matter how hard you pedal or pull, yet easy to release when need to. Feet feels very much connected, a part of the pedal with some angular float. Not one I''''d recommend to novice, traffic commuters, or recreational riders. I''''d definitely recommend these for serious, and demanding racers, sprinters, climbers, etc. I''''d give it a 5 overall for durability, reliable consistent connection, and just plain looks exclusive. Weakness are just minor issues.

mtb TIME ATAC

[Apr 23, 2002]
Thom

OVERALL
Strength:

Compact, later body design makes for an indestructable pedal. Hated how older Time pedal design lost the plastic back plates.

Entry is not as easy as Look, but once your in, your locked. (Campy pro-fit may be the next system to jump on)

This is my 4th pair of Time pedals, I have used Time since 1991. They totally function in fit and performance. Foot to axle distance is the essence, Time flys.........

Used Look back in the 80''s, all other pedal systems at the time were horrible

[Jul 25, 2000]
Alfredo Rodríguez

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect, secure and solid engagement. Safety and performance before weight.

Weight, shoe compatibility.

With Look I had common problems of unspected releases du-ring the upstroke, but since I use Time I've never had this problem again. No matter how rough and hard you pedal, Time pedals won't release unless you want to. They have a slight weight problem but I really haven't felt it to affect to much, I mean it, in my country there are a lot of mountains and almost no flat. Shoe compatibility is a problem only if you want inexpensive shoes. For a racer or hardcore roadie this are the best, I wouldn't change this unlees someone came out with a similar but less expensive design.
I would complain about price, but Time pedals will last longer due to steel parts on critic zones. Cleats last long and don't need much adjustment.

Various Look style pedals and Shimano SPD.