Time RSX Ti Carbon Pedals

Time continues to create some of the finest road pedals featuring the RXS system. Sensor Elasticity Tuner allows you to tune your pedals for a perfect feel. Adjustable Q-factor, rotational float of +/- 5 degrees and lateral float of 2.5mm. RXS Titanium carbon has a composite body reinforced with carbon fibers and titanium spindle. Weight: 195 g.

[Jun 07, 2010]
michaeld-c

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Smooth. Excellent all round performance. For me it's pedal nirvana.

Nil.

Thought long and hard about buying these after reading some poor reviews concerning failure. Checked with Time and they have a recall going on earlier models. Found an online shop selling models for $240 AUD and they weren't subject to recall. Bought two sets and Time i-Clic Carbons as a comparison.

Don't regret it one bit. Haven't had any of the problems mentioned by others.

Pedals are very light at 198g a pair. Cleat set up is brilliant. The range of float is perfect for me. Bearings are as smooth as silk. Oversized Ti axle doesn't seem to flex or creak under my 80kg. Very easy entry and exit. Platform is just the right size, no hot spots yet. Metal on metal cleat to pedal interface should be durable / reliable. Cleats are easy to walk in. Adjustable Q-Factor. Very low stack height (12.5mm). Look the business. Chief Financial Officer (wife) rates them highly too.

I prefer them to the i-Clic Carbons but will post a review of those in the near future when they have their own heading.

Time i-Clic Carbon. Dura-Ace 7810 & 7800. Look Keo Carbon. Look Keo 2 Max Carbon.

[Feb 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

To be honest, I was happy with everything else about these pedals until they caused me to crash.

Poor cleat design comes unclipped under a heavy (sprinting) load.

These pedals are DANGEROUS. The right pedal came unclipped at 30MPH during an all-out sprint causing me to have a nasty crash. Don't buy these unless you like road rash.
The cleats also wear very quickly. Mine had recently been replaced, so that was not the reason that they failed. If you already own these, you should check for wear frequently.

Speedplay

[Aug 19, 2006]
Saaboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight. Appearance. Unique...

Bearings -> possibly.

These pedals sure look great. They are also a rarity compared to the Look Keos. One of the few reasons I went for the Times. Both pedals weigh essentially the same.

Coming from Looks, it took my a couple of rides to get used to clipping in. I'm happy to report that clipping out is a lot for comfortable ( haha, not because I don't enjoy riding them...) compared to my Looks. They sound nice too. Btw, retail 100 less than Look Keo Carbon Ti.

I recently noticed that the left pedal is a little loose inside the axle. I don't think it's a case of the pedal coming off the axle, as I've heard other reviewers say. I hope this isn't the culprit of the mysterious 'tick from my drivetrain (Full DA 10 spd).

A feature that really impressed me is the option of two cleat installations. A certain cleat on your left shoe will cause your foot to be closer/further away as opposed to ebing installed on the right shoe. I hope that made sense...

Look.

[Jul 05, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Before they failed, these pedals provided effective sprung float and a nice wide platform for out-of-the-saddle climbing. They were also quite lightweight, which was felt on longer rides.

They failed after normal use in as little as six months. What more can I say? They are defective and potentially dangerous.

DO NOT buy this product. It is defective and will fail on you, probably sooner than you expect.

I actually own two pairs of these pedals. One is mounted on a Trek Madone 5.9SL, and the other on a Klein Q Pro Carbon. On the Trek, the right-side pedal unscrewed itself from the spindle and came off during a ride. This pedal was only SIX MONTHS out of the box, on a bike which was only six months old. I now understand, after some post-incident inquiries, that this is a known defect in this product.

I then took the right-side pedal off my Klein and put it on the Trek. This pedal had been in service for about 18 months, though I had not been riding the bike much for the past 6 months, since getting the Trek. Just today, my shoe started uncleating itself from the pedal while I was climbing. When I stopped to see what the problem was, I discovered a major crack in the carbon pedal body, which ran nearly all the way around the curve of the axle. The crack was so big it was allowing the shoe to uncleat when I put pressure on the outside of the pedal during seated climbing. Had I stood up to climb, the pedal would have come apart completely.

These pedals failed under normal operating conditions - no trauma, no abuse, just plain riding, both level riding (in the case of the 6-month old pedal) and climbing. Such failures should not occur on any pedal, much less a pedal which costs more than US$300 retail and which is less than six months out of the box. I am riding Keos now.

[Jun 19, 2006]
CatOne

OVERALL
Strength:

Float is nice, pedal/shoe interface does have a lot of surface area so it's a strong platform.

Right pedal body can (and probably will) unscrew itself. Pay attention, and use blue Loctite to address this. I'd suggest blue and not green or red -- that way you will still be able to disassemble should you ever need to do maintenance.

My current favorite pedals (Coombe Millenniums) are no longer produced. I have one remaining pair of cleats, but I decided I'd try the Time RSX's as curiosity got the best of me, and I know my current pedals/cleats will eventually wear out.

So I ordered a pair of RSX carbon pedals, and, well, the RSX Carbon Ti pedals showed up instead, in what was likely a shipping mistake. I guess I'm owed bad karma for not reporting it, but I didn't feel like waiting an extra couple weeks to correct a shipping mistake ;-)

So I will admit, out front, that I read the notes here about the pedal coming unscrewed, and it worried me a bit. So after one ride, I checked the right pedal. I was able to loosen it by hand -- so it's definitely a possibility. Well they are large threads, and there is no lube on them whatsoever, hmmm. Anyway, I applied blue loctite and I expect that will be the end of that problem. I might suggest that everyone out there do the same -- if it is loose. I would consider this a defect in assembly, not in product design. This is a simple problem to solve.

On to the pedals themselves... they feel nice, but I'm coming from 12 years on Speedplay and Coombe pedals... the resistance to float against the spring takes a while to get used to. I'm a sprinter so I don't want accidental release... I started at the highest tension level, though I may back it off a bit as it takes me a little fiddling to get my feet exactly aligned.

I've had a tough time knowing when the pedal engaged when I stepped in -- it's often silent. Also, the stack height on the cleat is extremely tall compared to the Coombes... the pontoons are about 1/2" taller than the coombe millennium cleat -- though compared to Look or Dura-Ace it may not be much.

I've only tried the narrow spacing so far... I may also try the 2.5 mm wider stance by swapping the cleats.

Anyway... it's only been a week so I can't tell if I like it yet or if I'd rather go back to the Coombes for another year before I burn up those pedals. Whichever way I go, the Times are pretty nice so when the Coombes do die, it won't be terrible.

Coombe Millennium (about 7 months)
Coombe Pro (2 years)
Speedplay X/2 (10 years)
Time Equipe Mag (2 years, back in early 90s)

[Jun 14, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light , durable friendly to use

Great pedals , easy in and out , easy maintenance great platform

speeedplay Ti

[Oct 24, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, easy engagement, great float.

These just don't seem very well made.

After a full season with these, I have to adjust my rating. The mounts for both cleats have broken on the inside corner, and twice I've had the pedal body unscrew and come off of the spindle, both times during a race.

Time Equipe, Speedplay, Shimano 7800.

[May 12, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid connection, comfort, float, closeness between axle and cleat. Lack of weight, strength and durability. Price

$75 for a 60 gram saving over the RXS Carbon. Losing weight has always been an expensive business, just ask Oprah.

I hate Time. Every time they bring out a pedal I think "They cannot be better than my current pedal" and every time they prove me wrong. I thought my Impacts were great for the 2 years I used them on my race and training bikes but thought I'd give the new pedals a go anyway. Very impressive. The bioposition (cleat to axle) is fantastic at 8mm (1/3 inch) and the strength of retention has been improved without altering the company's great float and release characteristics. The feel of the pedal is awesome. Smooth entry and release. Dependable and durable. Very light weight (good luck being able to notice 30 grams from pedal to pedal though). The new "cafe" cleats are very interesting, made of a compound rubber silicon they look softer than the red plastic impact cleats...and are claimed to be more "walking friendly" I find them to be more slippery than the previous model, not a great problem in any case (that's why cafe's have waiters!). Don't expect to be doing cyclocross dismounts to the cafe table. Well suited to "dream bikes", hardcore racers and mountain goats who are allergic to weight. Weekend warriors would be more than happy with the standard Time RXS Carbon and using the $75 saving towards an indoor trainer for the winter months. Worth every cent and thank you to Speedgoat for the brilliant service and great price on these.

Shimano Ultegra & Dura-Ace, Time Impact, Time RXS Carbon

[May 11, 2005]
phoehn9111

OVERALL
Strength:

I can't seem to come up with anything these pedals leave to be desired

Price. Don't know how these will hold up in the long range.

Wow! Ridiculously light, smooth float, easy entry, low stack height and the float really seems to help my bad knee cope with the stress. I apologize that I have little experience with many other pedals, only used fixed toe clips.

shimano toe clips

[Apr 15, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly light and secure with fantastic float.

Bearings seemed to be inconsistently preloaded, and cleat mount broke almost immediately.

Upgraded after many years of service from my old Equipes. Incredibly light, good secure engagment, and great float. Disappointed in the bearings (a little stiff on one side and leaked grease) and part of the cleat holder broke off just walking my bike down the driveway. Can't really give it a good "value rating" because they're ridiculously expensive, and value wasn't really part of the buying decision.

Time Equipes