Cinelli Aliante Frame Frames

[Jan 07, 2004]
unger

OVERALL
Strength:

very aggressive and responsive, light wgt, sexy looking

would have preferred starship tubing rather then xlr8r-(moser makes the same frame with starship) would have saved 4oz- but on the other hand my experience with starship is that it dents amazingly easy, xlr8r maybe somewhat better.

'03 aliante- columbus xlr8r tubing, carbon fiber muscle fork, seatstay, and chainstay, compact medium, 1211g (weighed on a ceritifed scale), seat tube 1 3/8". More shock absorption then my other ride a coppi starship, and more aggressive (hard to believe). Very responsive- reacts 2 steps ahead of you- took me 1 few hundred miles to get used to- now seems like the norm. This aggresiveness (not instability) maybe because of the compact design and oversize seat tube. My coppi (traditional geometry-55cm) now feels very relaxing and secure. For comparision my coppi makes my wife's cannondale seem extremely sluggish, and heavy. typical italian paint- chips- but very sexy design (orange) had to put a few coats of clear coat on the chainstay, now is just fine. absolutely no frameflex- a real rocket. wgt- 14lbs 15oz.

cannondale cad3, coppi starship '01 (all starship aluminum-no carbon fiber)

[Oct 06, 2003]
hphoto

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight. Surprisingly forgiving and very stiff.

Poor build quality - no clear coat on matte black and over decals. But "looks" great - we'll see how long that will last.

This review is for the 2003 Cinelli Proxima. There is no category for this frameset so I will place it here. There are very few reviews of Cinelli frames that I can find before purchasing, so I feel the need to provide mine for others. The build quality of this frame is not great - the welds are not sanded down, and the paint does not look durable. I have the matte black which has no clear coat, so who knows how long the paint and decals will last. The aluminium frame is lightweight, about or less than 3 lbs. The frame alone rings like a bell when tapped, so I thought it would give a harsh ride. Surprisingly, the frame is very forgiving, but yet very stiff when ridden. So far, I'm impressed.

Specialized Epic Carbon, Allez cro-mo, Trek aluminium, Litespeed aluminium and titanium, Merlin.