Colnago 2004 MIX Frames

• Carbon B-Stay seatstays
  • Bi-conic shaped tubing to increase torsional rigidity
  • Supports for Ergo or STI levers on the steering tubes
  • Frame weight: 1,195 grams (55 cm.)
  • Colnago Street Carbon fork w/ Aluminum Steerer

[Dec 17, 2011]
McJim

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff, lively frame with excellent handling and some comfort.

Heavier than a top end carbon frame.

I've used a variety of frames mainly 531c or Titanium. The Mix came up at a bargain price so I test rode it and loved it. Luckily I had access to an elite coach who set up the bike for me so it was perfect. The bike is very lively due to the geometry and short wheelbase. The rear triangle feels super stiff due to the alloy chainstays but the ride is softened by the carbon B-Stays and carbon forks. The bike handles like no other I've ridden allowing me to make up good time on descents in hilly races. The Columbus Airplane alloy is profiled for extra stiffness and a thinner wall to reduce weight. Overall my bike weighs 8.4kg including pedals so it's not as light as a top end carbon bike but is certainly comparable with some of the mid ranged carbon frames.

[Dec 12, 2010]
Ride-Fly

OVERALL
Strength:

Colnago handling!!! Stiff, efficient power transfer. Pretty smooth too.

On the heavy side.

I have had my 2005 Colnago Mix since 2006. I currently live in Portland, OR but my Mix stays in SoCal since I am there quite often. I don't get to ride it as much as I would like but when I do, I enjoy it thoroughly! I have a lot of nice high-end bikes (Extreme C, Fondriest Top Carbon and Carb Level, Tommasini Tecno steel) and this one doesn't fall behind any of those. I love both my carbon bikes best but this Colnago is a superb ride too. Very stiff and great power transfer. Just a tad on the heavy side. Not as smooth as my carbons or my Fondy Carb Level. But still, it doesn't rattle my teeth. Best thing about Colnagos is the handling. IMHO, they are the best handling bikes ever made! My Tommasini is very very quick handling and I prefer Colnago's stabler handling characteristics. The craftsmanship is typical Colnao- GREAT!! I love the Master-inspired toptube and the Dream-inspired downtube. Hence, why it is called the Mix.

Colnago Extreme C, Fondriest TF1 Top Carbon, Fondriest Carb Level, Klein Quantum Race, Kestrel Talon, Tommasini Tecno, Gios Torino Professional, Gitane (forget the model),

[Jun 28, 2010]
Davefromaine

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, efficiency, supple ride for an aluminum/carbon bike.

Reading the two previous reviews, I took the advice when one of these frames popped up at a good price. I gave up on trying stiff aluminum or all carbon bikes and have stuck with steel only - until now. This thing is absolutely fantasatic! Super stiff in the BB shell - every ounce of pedal energy is instantly transformed into forward motion. And the ride is as good or better than my steel Merckx - must be the B-stay technology. Still brand new ones on the web - get one if you can.

Pinarello Opera, Trek 5200, Orbea Orca, Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1

[Oct 06, 2006]
David Dunn

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality, build quality, handling and vaniety aspects as it matched the clubs colours

None...

I have riden this bike for nearly 2 seasons now and I have to say I am loving it. It has handled everything I have thrown at it. It is more than comfortable on longer runs and it can fair shift when you are up against it on short blasts. I have even strapped on a aero bars a couple of times this year and Time trialed the thing and it was great. I am actually in the position of thinking of replacing it but I like the bike that much I am not sure I really want to. This bike makes you feel as if you are really connected to the road giving you massive amounts of confidence on downhills and flying into tight bends. This was my first colnago and to be honest I am hooked. If you manage to get a hold of this frame now for a decent price - get it as you will not be disapointed.

[Sep 29, 2004]
HandyAndy

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, comfortable, handling, ITS A COLNAGO!!!!

None so far

Colnago have done a super job with the frame.One look at how much work has gone in to shaping the tubes especially the top and downtube and you can see that this frame has been designed to take full advantage of the aluminum/carbon mix.The bike is fantastic.The frame uses all your energy to go forward at a rapid rate while the carbon b-stay soaks up all the bumps.The handling is the same among all colnagos as they all share the same geometry and its simply superb.You'll find yourself pushing the corners faster because of the confidence the bike gives you.I bought the frame in the world championship colours (NL38) and it looks brilliant.They even painted the aluminum to look like carbon(my choice) and you have to look very closely to tell its not carbon!I bought the bike from Maestro and the service I've recieved from Mike has been second to none.He is extremely knowledgable and brutally honest with his advice.A visit to his shop in bognor regis is always a pleasure and you get to see some amazing machines!A big thankyou must go to him for building a set of wheels for me with barely a days notice and a fine set of wheels they are as well!

C40 hp, various steel and aluminum bikes