Colnago C-40 Frames

• Redesigned top-of-the-line carbon frame.
  • Sizes: continuous range from 49 to 64 cm. "Freuler" type frames with raised joint as from size 61.
  • Models: AD2, AD10, AD11, AD13, AD14.

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 15, 2012]
    vaughnstewart

OVERALL
    Strength:

Amazing. Feels like your riding a sherman tank that weighs 7.3 kg. Not bad for a 61cm bike. Campagnolo only. You can hit anything with it , ride the worst roads, and still never get tired. 100 miles on the c50 is good - 100 miles on the c40 is a delight! Mine is completely unique.

Other people covet it! Its been stolen once, but I declared war and got it back. Everywhere I take it people touch it, lift it, and marvel at how something so purple can be so perfect. Subsequently it is only ever ridden to and from my house. Sad as when I cycle in Italy or France I have to take the c50.

My c40 was a tour spares bike. I am the third and last owner until my son inherits it. It is as all bikes should be - perfect! I just wish I had another so that I could ride it on the not so perfect days. But my c50 is a good winter bike! When you ride a bike you usually just get onto a a bit of engineering and peddle off. Some look nice, some ride nice, but usually after 100 miles you will have some complaints
    with the ride. Vibration, tracking, whatever you want to call that energy that gets transmitted up to spine and wrists. And then theres a C40. My c50 is a great bike and rides great up to around 100 miles but it doesnt even approach the level of comfort crafted into the C40. A C40 just makes you want to go out - day after day after day. I consider every ride I get on it a special experience and I thank the cycling gods that led to the fateful day when I was lucky enough to find it and buy it. A real bicycle , hand crafted by people earning a real living, making art in motion. Caio gratzie Ernesto!

Peurgeot, kuota, specialized

[Sep 27, 2009]
    Flanners

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast agile a great climber and descender.
    Tracks and corners so well stays planted and at speed.
    Good looking bike which just oozes classic appeal

Finish is not brilliant, like all Italian exotica!
    Paint on dropouts peeled, but have repainted these.

Saw this bike on ebay, went for it and got it. Wanted a modern classic and boy have I found it. A superb bike that is just so planted and rides so well both up and downhill. My modern carbon bikes a PX SL carbon and a Focus Cayo are so skittery by comparison. The Ferrari or Ducati of the road bike world.

Planet X Sl
    Focus Cayo
    Bianchi Alu/Carbon

[Jan 15, 2009]
    Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light enough to win a mountain stage
    Stiff enough for Tour strongmen to sprint on
    Great longevity/durability for carbon
    Pedigree
    Appearance
    almost everyone else ISN'T riding one
    Get a used one for less than most new junk costs

I think the rear dropouts are Titanium, which is great- but unless you use a quality skewer like shimano or Campy and not some junk- the rear wheel can move over due to insufficient clamping pressure
    would prefer 1&1/8 inch fork- but not a big deal.
    odd size seatpost (28.0mm) means you need an expensive colnago post (or a Thomson), unless you buy an adapter shim (28.0 to 27.2) allowing you to run whatever post you want.

At age 54, after lusting after a C40 for years I figured it was now or never. I had owned several other very nice bikes previously including a SEVEN Axiom Titanium, high end FELTS, and many others in 30 years of occasional racing and constant recreational riding. The C40 seems to hold its value quite well, probably due to its incredible race winning pedigree and the fact that it has a well deserved reputation for durability/longevity which cannot be said about many other carbon fiber frames. My 61 cm C40 (measured to the very top of the seat tube), weighs 1260 grams on my digital scale. There are lighter frames, there are frames that I'm sure are stiffer in the bottom bracket, and depending on your own viewpoint, frames that are perhaps more beautiful. It is the best all around machine I have ever ridden because for me it does everything very well- its light enough, stiff enough, very stable handing at high speed due to the long front/center dimension and high 'trail' length, and I think it is a work of art built and designed by people that are passionate about what they do. It is a comfortable bike over long distances and poor road surfaces, but then I don't feel that all aluminum bikes are uncomfortable at all either. I think people confuse 'shock absorption' with 'vibration damping'- and due to its material and construction, I think the c40 is the most vibration damping bike I have been on- it seems totally silent relative to most bikes. The c40 and some of the carbon fiber looks are 2 of perhaps a handful of carbon frames I'd ever consider spending my own money on. I work in a shop where I have an opportunity
    to see firsthand all kinds of carnage done to carbon fiber frames- many from incidents that would not harm a c40 or aluminum tubed bike (except maybe a small dent in a metal tube). The reason for this is twofold I believe, the first is that many of the ultra high end frames that weigh 900 to 1000 grams are optimized for one thing- handling the stresses imposed on them by pedaling them, and they do that very well. They are not optimized to resist the types of stresses put on them in crash situations and impacts to tubes.
    When you squeeze the top tube or down tube on a carbon frame and can see it deflect without much pressure- that tells you something about what to expect when you go down. The other factor is that for any frame material, if you compare 2 tubes of the same length and weight- the tube having the larger cross section results in decreased wall thickness. I feel that carbon frames like the c40 are much less susceptible to being totaled by a minor fall or other incident. My C40 is not 'faster' than other bikes, but I think it may make me feel like riding more, and I love how it looks, and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. The fact that when I go on a ride with a thousand or more other riders, and don't see 900 people riding the same brand is a plus for me too because I'm a contrarian.

dozens- steel/aluminum/carbon/titanium

[Mar 13, 2007]
    Nody

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff. Previously I had a Scandium-Alu sloping frame. The first time I got out of the saddle going up a hill on the C40 I nearly fell off. I hadn't realised what a stiff frame felt like prior to that. Despite this the ride is great. I do lots of long rides and you really feel the benefit.

Handling is fantastic, Completely reliable in bends. Previous scandium frame would bounce through some corners on rough surfaces. The Nag just sorts it all out and you can just think about your line.

The Price - Yup if you can still get your hands on a C40 - at sub £1500 now an absolute bargain in my book.

Also it's beautiful.

Occasionally creaks. She's very temperamental about it though and will go weeks with nary a squeak - then off she goes. Something I said ? temperature dependent?

Beautiful. Slight indulgence when I bought it purely on reputation. But faith has been repaid. Occasionally during winter, reading bike mags, I ponder a change of frame but spring comes and out comes the Nag. One ride is all it takes.

Dediacci Alu frames.

[Mar 13, 2007]
    BRS

Also it's beautiful.

Dediacci Alu frames.

[Feb 19, 2007]
    Tom Kunich

OVERALL
    Strength:

The bike handles incredably well in racing conditions. It has pin point steering and is especially good at high speed descents. The fit is perfect for my 6'4" with 35" legs.

The ride is quite a bit harsher than my steel bikes though softer than an aluminum bike.

This is a great bike particularly for racing. It is stiff enough to sprint well and is a great descender. While the ride is very stiff it doesn't enter the realm of aluminum race bikes which cannot be ridden for distance because of the harshness of the ride. I have done 100 miles or more on the bike without problems. I usually hesitate to ride this as an everyday bike because it is so expensive to replace and because it does ride stiffer than anything but my Fuji Newest aluminum frame. But when I'm going to do a long day with lots of climbing this is a good bike. It was designed and refined as a road racer and it shows in every turn of the cranks.

Basso Loto EL
    Look KG241

[Jul 27, 2006]
    Thom Sanchez

OVERALL
    Strength:

High grade ferrari engineered carbon tubes and lug construction. Sets the standard for all lugged carbon bikes. Unlike 90% of all bikes out there, this one was not built by an 8 year old Taiwanese kid.

1" head tube, not as stout or stiff as the 1 1/8" C-50 set up.

Was riding a '03 Prince SL prior to the C-40.
    Felt a little mushy at first, compared to the Deda aluminum Pinarello. After the first few hundred miles, I finally got used to such a dampened ride. Takes the aches out of a 50+ mile ride. Been riding different things over the last 19 years, some good, some bad and ugly. It's truly the best bike I have ever owned. After all it's a Colnago, what more can one say?

Pinarello, Bottechia, Colnago, Rossin (back in the day) Campy, Campy, Campy.

[Dec 28, 2005]
    Roach

OVERALL
    Strength:

- Awesome ride quality - Smoothness - Looks/Paint - Eats up the bumps - It's a Colnago - History/Mystique - Proven champion frameset

- Expensive, but what isn't in cycling? - Crashes will make you fall into depression.

This review is for a 2002 C40 in Mapei paint. This bike costs a fortune and most of your friends will think you are crazy but let me tell you that you will not be dissapointed with your purchase. This bike is the envy of almost every other rider out there. It is no conincedence that when teh Mapei team was dissolved all of the riders made sure they kept their C40's. This bike is smooth and somehow makes you ride harder, you just cannot explain it. If you can get one slightly used or a new order model do it!! You will not regret it.

- None

[Aug 20, 2005]
    bisekleta_guy

OVERALL
    Strength:

stiff bike and real RARE. will WOW anyone on a bike show.

poor paint job..brittle and easily scratched

I have been searching for a road bike review of the Colnago C35 Ferrari for about a year already since spotting one frame and fork on the display window of Elixir Bike Shop...really wanted to find out more about it before i pay the top dollar.As related to me by the bike shop owner...the Colnago C35 was originally custom ordered in 2001 by a Filipino businessman...when the bike Frame and Fork arrived the businessman couldnt pay for the bike because his business unexpectedly went bust. So the bikeshop reposessed the Frame and fork...in 2003 the bike was built up and ridden for one day race by that reknown Filipino sprinter Enrique Domingo.After the race Domingo returned the frame and fork and said it was a sprinters bike but he was so afraid he would break it...hence he couldnt race it like a steel bike...frame and fork hanged for 4 more years...got sold early February 2005...then was returned again because the rider was 5'2 inches tall and there was little left of the seatpost he installed...so the frame and fork was returned again...The bike owner was getting pissed off at this turn of events...i was there at the right time when the bike had been returned. I talked to the shop owner..he says he is so disappointed he will let me have the bike (built up but rarely used) if i just make him an offer...i made him an absolutely unbelievable offer...but as he knows i wont return the bike anymore...he sold it to me ...this was in April 2005 when i was about to join a 4 day stage race in Tour of Egat Thailand...I built it up with Campy Record and Colnago Wheelset (carbon center hubs and aluminum ambrosio for Colnago rims) Vittoria Pro slicks...Cinelli aluminum nubios (i prefer aluminum over carbon)...however no time to familiarize myself with the Ferrari so it stayed home and didnt see action in Thailand...When I came back there was a short criterium race held in Manila...I participated...used the bike and got the Champions Trophy (see my gallery)...The trouble with being a Shimano user is that when you go to a Campy built up bike...you get confused at the STI and ERGO shifters and so did i! However im not going to gain friends if i built up this Ferrari with Shimano so I stuck with Campy...The bike frame of the C35 with star carbon fork is surely over 1.2kgs so it is not a light bike...also the top tube is shorter (52) then my previous Colnago Lux Master which is a (53)...so i know this bike is built either for criteriums or for ITT because the short top tube is perfect for me on the criteriums...the bike is stiff and very responsive you will be afraid at how it performs at corners! Its like a track bike ridden on the road...fast, ultra responsive, but dont expect a comfortable ride past 100kilometers...so i dont use this bike when i race more than 100 kilometers...also because there is only one pair of water bottle bosses on the downtube! No water bottle on the seat tube so it can carry only one water bottle...the paint chips easily and dissapointingly brittle...so be careful...the tight real wheel triangle is so tight i couldnt put in a 700 x 23 rubbers without deflating the ribbers first! also when you suffer a rear wheel puncture...the rubber will ruin the paint job of the inside chainstay! another ouch...but say this bike was designed by FERRARI ENGINEERS so for what its worth...its MY SPECIAL BIKE...RARE BIKE only 3 known in the entire philippine Islands...I couldnt even see where the 2 others are! But I am very proud when i race this bike because its a real looker and when you are on it...people think you can drive ala Michael Schumacher...VERY FAST...i love this bike and i couldnt believe how lucky i am to be the CURRENT PROUD OWNER of this sad storied orphan. There must be a reason why it felled on my lap after 4 dissapointing years it had brought the importer! Well like an unwanted race horse i raced it within 2 months after I bought it and made it a winner!

Colnago Master Lux, Cannondale Caad3, Giant Ocr

[Feb 27, 2005]
    basho

OVERALL
    Strength:

everything. magic bike.

perhaps not the fastest/stiffest climbing bike, but only by a hair.

Just in case you are still not sure, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a c40. sure, not there are other carbon frames out there. but the c40 is MAGIC. If you buy one, you will thank me later. it is liek riding on a landslider. everytime i ride it, i think, how is it possible????? it is fast, very fast, and smooth, incredibly smooth. the regular rules do not apply. the pre b-stay version may be the best (i have that one). it sprints uphill 2% slower and is a bit more comfortable. anyway, the bike is amazing. if someone is dumb enough to sell theirs, buy it! I thought it was a bankers fancy bike until i rode it. it is a real joy to ride and behold. I am putting my value rating for used though..or NOS, as 4000 seems pricey for a frame to me.

seven axiom ti (also amazing). serotta legend ti. orbea something aluminium/carbon. fondriest carbon, IF steel, paramount steel, dean steel, specialized aluminium, seven tsumami, basso steel, etc.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.