Colnago C50 Frames

• 1 1/8 headtube
  • Biconical downtube
  • Seamless carbon fiber lugs
  • Master profile carbon fiber top tube and Conic shaped down tube

[Nov 16, 2011]
Jerry

OVERALL
Strength:

it goes really fast if yoy u pedal hard.

Too many to list but dont leave it outside in the rain. No good at endo's or skids on tarmac but wet grass is ok.

I purchased in 2005 and i am now nearly home. The saddle is missing which makes it slightly uncomfortable. This iconic italian ride is ok. My paper boy has one and he thinks its alright.

Raliegh grifter, chopper

[Feb 06, 2011]
leo43

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit,comfort,craftmanship,ride quality second to none

No longer being made.

Always wanted a Colnago was not sure which one finally decided on the C50 best decision ever. Bike fits like a glove thank you Ernesto Colnago and thank you Felix Calderon best fitter I have ever met. Now back to the bike some people say it's not the lightest or not the stiffest but I'm here to tell you that once you ride a C50 you don't notice the "nots" you notice what it does and that's everything well. It is really that good it is one of those thing you just need to experience for yourself get one while you can. The ride quality is second to none it's pretty unbelievable to be honest it just glides over the road

Pinarello Paris Fp,Giant Tcr,

[Aug 26, 2010]
JBS

OVERALL
Strength:

Love the ride.Dampens road vibration,decends like a champ.Rock solid.Climbs great.

Ordered my orignal C50 in 2008.Loved it.Got hit by elderly driver three months after I got the C50 built.Called Mike Perry at Maestro.Ordered a new C50 with Geo paint scheme.Mike was excellent to deal to deal with.Waited six months.The bike is sick.Love the geo paint job.

[Apr 19, 2010]
Dr Carl

OVERALL
Strength:

EXCELLENT ride. Razor sharp handeling, Exotic Italian looks. Iconic history and pedigree. Its esclusive, expensive, and sexy.

none... no regrets

I bought a Colnago because I have always wanted one. I road a trek OCLV 5500 w/ Dura Ace for years. The Trek is a good bike, but its like a corvette in that EVERYBODY has one just like it. The Italians just have a way of making things look exotic. That and Colnago C50 has a racing pedigree that is second to none. Colnago sources its carbon tubs and lugs from the same company that makes the carbon parts for the Ferrari F-1 team. This is a very exotic bike. The ride is magic. It is stiffer than the trek but much, much more comfortable as well. This bike you can ride all day long. It will not beat you up like most of the "pro racing" bikes out there. The handeling with the C75 fork is VERY quick as you would expect from a true racing bike. That took a little getting used to. My bike came it at 16.1 lbs with full Campy record 10 and mavic SSL SE wheels. Not fly weight, but then weight is not everything. I chose the C50 because Colnago is shifting its production from Italy to Taiwan. The C50 is being phased out and the EPS and master X-lite will be the only ones made in Italy. The rest of the line is from China. For me if Im going to pay this kind of money for a thoroughbread Italian bike.. IT NEEDS TO BE HAND MADE IN ITALY. Thats not to say the CX-1 isnt a excellent bike. If you want a C50 you better hurry deals can be had on 09 and 08 year models. Once they are gone it will be an end of an era.

Cyfac gothica,

[Oct 03, 2009]
Jbartmc

OVERALL
Strength:

Too many to list.

None, although some might say the price. You get what you pay for.

I have been very happy with my C-50. It is a 2009 model in the Sunburst paint scheme.

This bike is not the lightest by today's standards, but it is sold, comfortable and flat-out rides. The lugged frame and paint is beautiful. I get comments on the bike all the time, and I absolutely enjoy riding it for hours on end.

Pista Palace did it right.

[Jun 23, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth smooth smooth

This is simply the best I had so far!
See similar products used(it takes alot to impress me)
note I checked rec rider in the box but I used to race alot when i was younger and I wish I had this bike then.
Price above was w/campy group and i think a steal should have been 1000 more really.

Ive been riding since a Raleigh mark3(circa1970) w record groupset was one of the best and Ive had everthing in between.

[Mar 12, 2009]
Atif

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything.

Nothing.

I’d like to write a review not just about my bike, but also about Mike Perry of Maestro UK.

First Mike.

This world consists of only two people: the sincere, and the rest. I spent several days researching where to buy a bike and spoke to about half-a-dozen dealers, usually the store owner or manager. Sometimes I got great technical advice. Sometimes I didn’t. But each time the conversation pretty much ended in that familiar segue to a sales pitch with the “so are you going to buy the bike” undertone.

Not so Mike.

In fact, he didn’t even want to sell me the 58cm PR00 C50 he had in stock because he thought I’m a 57. Knowing that waiting for Ernesto to build me a 57 might take several months, I did a second, more earnest (ouch), inseam measurement only to find out, yes Mike, I’m a 58cm. He acquiesced, I got my bike, and the rest, as they say, is history. Throughout it all, Mike would call me, take my early morning calls, answer all my emails, and we’re talking dozens of calls and emails to sort out the parts, sizing, shipping etc. Not once did I even get the slightest hint that he wanted to get back to work. In fact, we swapped loads of cycling stories, he told me (long distance) about his times racing and directing a team in Europe, and so on. Throughout it all he’d give me his inimitable, dead-pan, sincere advice “Don’t buy this,” “I don’t sell stuff from China,” “I don’t sell so-and-so because they’ll screw you” etc. This is a businessman who will spurn every opportunity to make money if it means the customer is going to get short-changed. And yet he still manages to sell Colnagos at hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars less than everyone else.

Mike doesn’t need the popularity. Everyone who knows Colnago’s knows Mike. Mike is 66. He’s probably retiring one of these years. His sons will probably not carry on the dying art of building a bicycle the old fashioned way. Ernesto will probably outsource everything to the People’s Republic of China.

If you can afford it, buy a Colnago while it is still made in a tiny town in Italy and the bicycle on which its frame rides is hand-assembled with love by a little old man in Bognor Regis, UK. If you can’t afford it, do a reality check: the few hundred bucks you’re going to save buying a Made-in-China Cervelo is going to get blown in 3 weekends with the boys anyway.

Instead, stay home, watch TV, skip the restaurants, eat pasta for a month, and buy a Colnago. Do you think your kid is going to want to inherit your cracked Cervelo 15 years from now?

Now my review of the Colnago C50.

Tight, very fast, stable yet flickable, and more beautiful than anything else on two wheels.

Maserati Quattroporte
Ferrari Modena
Land Rover Defender 110

[Feb 01, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

The complete all-rounder. The cycling mags will give you lots of alternatives from Specialized, Trek, Wilier, De Rosa et al - I won't pretend to have ridden all of these but I have ridden a lot of them and the Colnago is just better. End of.

None. Really, none.

A stunning machine - my midlife toy and no regrets at all - I actually seek out the rough stuff just to see again how easily the C50 copes with it. Very comfortable for a century - loves to climb - does it all. It's in the attic now for winter and i can't wait to get it out for spring - makes me feel like a kid again - that's priceless.

[Jan 26, 2009]
Jbartmc

OVERALL
Strength:

Performance, comfort and Italian style.

They are costly, even at a discount.

This review is for the Extreme Power (which is not listed as a reviewable product). I love it, it is absolutely one of the finest bikes I have ever ridden. It is stiff, but not too stiff. I own a 2006 Trek Madone SSLx, the last TdF Lance Bike, and it is super stiff. The Extreme Power matches the SSLx's performance, but it is more comfortable. I really like this bike, and it is my choice to ride (unless the weather really sucks). Then it is an old Trek OCLCV, which is still a good ride for its purpose.

Trek OCLV, Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone SL 5.2, Trek Madone SSLx.

[Jan 07, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light (15.5 lbs build out), quick, great desender & climbs like a dream, smooth for long multiple days on the bike. Beautiful classic Italian lines, Ernesto at his best. Great to ride and beautiful to look at.

Price, a classic frame that still is among the best but some of the more innovative brands are making some really impressive race/allaround rides like the Giant TCR Advanced or the Merckx AXM & opening up a gap?

Have had the bike for about 1.5 years & have put on about 2.5k miles lots of shorter rides from work and several long century plus rides in all sorts of routes, long sustained climbs & descents (St Helens)as well as flats with pace lines, don't ride it in the winter. This bike is everything that I read and hoped it would be. A high end racing machine, well balanced & forgiving enough for the passionate rider that is a hack racer and that has that Italian esscense not only in the ride quality but also the craftsmanship of the frame build. I demoed all sorts of bikes (Cervelo, Orbea, Pinarello, Look) all great bikes but some where either too twitchy or too stiff or only did one thing really well, none had the complete package of lightweight, stiff, quick, snappy, but still able to run smooth on long days. Maybe it is my weight (150-156) depending on how much I'm riding but the C50 was a clear winner. Just love the ride all the time.

Kestrel 200 ems, Trek Madone SL