Colnago E1 Frames

The E1 is a brilliantly executed design. It makes use of a monocoque carbon fiber front triangle mated to a B-Stay carbon seatstay and non-HP carbon chainstays. The beauty of monocoque is well-known it adds substantial resistance to torsional flex and it gives a bike that nice "snap" when you give it serious gas in a sprint or on a climb.

[Apr 08, 2015]
Jared M

OVERALL
Strength:

Gorgeous Italian design and detailing. Amazingly comfortable ride--yet fast and agile as a gazelle. Always gets looks and comments on group rides (since almost no other riders are on Colnagos in my area).

None that I have found yet.

I'm the second owner of this particular E1. It is built up with full Dura Ace--except for the crankset (which is FSA carbon). The wheelset is also Dura Ace. This is not my first Colnago. It is my 3rd. And I've owned at least 100 other road bikes... some steel... some aluminum... some titanium... and a lot of carbon. So, I probably have a wider range of experiences to compare this (or any) bike to than your average rider. The reality is that bikes are not fast (or slow)... RIDERS are. But as a rider, you can certainly feel faster on some bikes than you are on others... and from an empirical standpoint you may actually be able to spin the wheels faster on some bikes than others... but most of that difference is going to be due to things like set up / bike fit, gearing, tires / pressure, bearings (friction), etc. So, if you don't use the EXACT same components and the EXACT same set up (fit) on two different frames, it's impossible to truly compare them.

But what I can tell you for sure is that--for whatever reasons--when I'm going on a longer bike ride... 50 to 100 miles... more often than not I will pull out the Colnago E1 and ride that bike--over a pretty damn nice selection of other bikes to choose from. (S-Works Tarmac, Cervelo R3, Cervelo S2, Trek SSL, etc) Why? I can't say for sure. I just feel better during and after my longer rides on this bike. It is comfortable and smooth--yet I can hang with anyone that I drop in behind at almost any pace. The bottom line is that size and fit are probably more important than any other factor when choosing a bike... but if you can find this bike in your size and the price is within your budget... BUY IT.

Cervelo R3 & S2, Trek Madone 5.9, 6.9, SSL, Specialized S-Work Tarmac SL2, Gary Fisher Cronus Ultimate, Specialized S-Works Roubaix.

[Mar 31, 2012]
arjen

OVERALL
Strength:

stijf ,comfortabel , en super in de bochten rijd echt heerlijk

lak heeft zwakke punten .

---

[Feb 17, 2010]
Charles Wilson

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightness, looks, fantastic handling.

Very shinny gloss coat and the frame can easily be chipped.

Colnago E1 - you have pride owning a Colnago when you turn up to any long distance event, pull out the bike it's like all great brands the history of frame building is one of the best and when you ride a long sportive you feel proud at the finish, why? because i guess it's like having a classic or fast car it gives you a good feeling time after time.

Colnago C40 - Chorus Group set with mavic cosmic carbon wheels.
Van Nic 54 Euro Titanium frame Carbon Forks.
Condor Pista record group set.

[Feb 09, 2010]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Great feel, comfortable even on long rides, fast as hell, corners great

none yet....

I see many complaints about Colnago's customer service, but fortunately for I have not had to deal with that. My Dura Ace equipped E-1 has absolutely no problems. I over tightened the seat stay once and got a white flash of carbon flex, but that was my fault. I put Zipp 404's on the bike 2 weeks ago and instantly added 3 mph with no additional effort. I notice this bike simply coasts pasts others in the group rides, even as they pedal and I coast. All I am missing is a ceramic BB. I love this bike and consider myself lucky to get it 2nd hand, at a great price and without some of the complaints I have read. Good luck to the rest of you Colnago owners, we are few.

never owned a carbon frame before this

[Dec 31, 2008]
bald brummie

OVERALL
Strength:

Classic good looks - light(ish) - very stiff yet comfortable - absolutely no flex (compared to my Giant). Gets lots of comments, particularly on the continent.

The lacquer is terrible for such a pampered bike. As i bought it second hand i have no warranty recourse, although i hear it is poor. Despite my love of this bike, i don't think i would buy a new model due to the rhetoric about poor after sales support and slow turn around times. I'll stick with 2nd Hand. The seat tube bottle boss can only take a 500ml bottle on a 48S Frame - the bosses are too high, as there is sufficient space to drop them. This is a big problem if you ride sportives or gran fondo's !

As i have a collection of steel Masters and couldn't justify the price of a C50, i thought i would pitch at a second hand E1 to sample the Carbon range. The E1 looks cool in PR00 design, with Black Record Carbon Gruppo and Ksyrium ES. Not sure about weight, but not as light as previous Giant TCR Composite, probably 16.5lbs. Used this bike for better training rides, longer road races, gran fondo's, some crits but the most pleasing ride was a week in the French Alps, ticking off the big climbs a week ahead of the tour, and riding the alpe d'huez Time Trial. As my lightest bike it never dissapoints - climbs extremely well, comfortably, stiff beyond my power output and tracks perfectly. In short - every bit as good as it looks.

Nothing similar - run steel Masters as the norm.

[Sep 20, 2007]
Mark Manner

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, strength and stiffness.

None so far

I have an E1 with Dura Ace and Zipp 404 tubulars/Powertap SL2.4. A very nice stiff bike, great looking too.

Ghisallo, Tomasini Fire.

[Jul 29, 2007]
gusf

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks.

Lacquer that cracks (flexing joints?), quality control? On a frame of this price the faults and Colnago's response was totally unacceptable.

Out of the box this E1 with pink decor looked spectacular. Little did I know that two years later I would be chasing a full refund! In those two years the frame had been back to Italy four times, and had spent longer there than in my possession.

CT1
BMC SLC01

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.