Colnago Oval Master Frames

• Frame in titanium alloy with horizontal "MASTER" and diagonal tubes "drop" shaped by drawing process. Constructed of 6AL/4V Titanium. Includes Colnago Threadless Flash Carbon fork (490 g).
  • Size: continuous range from 49 to 64 cm.
  • Models: AD10, AD11, AD13, AD14

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 07, 2019]
    mkentik

OVERALL
    Strength:

Just bought less than a month a very tired Master Oval Titanium Dura-Ace 7800 equipped with Ksyrium Elite Wheels, just to have a good opinion in this material. I dismantled it totally and I fully restored and serviced it to its prior Glory but even further. You don't need anything else but a good seatpost, a BROOKS TITANIUM saddle and a new pair of tyres and you are ready for epic rides. I say epic rides because my rides are like that after, It's an incredible machine extremely comfortable highly responsive slides like butter, it's just like sitting in a very fast armchair. Nothing to add comfort, comfort and comfort with style.

The only minus that I have found is the horizontal dropouts and the Limited tyre clearance.I can bearly fit 25mm tyres with 2mm clearance at each side. You do have to tighten good your skewers to avoid unpleasant situations

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    [Oct 14, 2007]
    rick

OVERALL
    Strength:

ride quality, titanium, retro paint finish, Colnago

fork weight (flash),

Time to write a review. The very first time I rode this bike I knew I would enjoy it for years to come. I went from a Reynolds 853 steel bike, with a really nice ride, to this Ovalmaster. It's a more comfortable ride, yet accelerates quickly when you step on the pedals. While a little on the heavy side, I find the comfort of the ride more than makes up for any increase in weight. My buddies are hassling me about the "art decor" colors calling it a retro pink bike, but I'm having trouble "upgrading" to the carbon machine, when I'm as pleased as I am with my Colnago Ti!!

[Apr 13, 2007]
    Stuart Lodge

OVERALL
    Strength:

- Superb build and finish quality of frame and fork.
    - Superb handing characteristics on tarmac and pave, wet or dry.
    - You're knackered on a climb, push the pedals and the Ovalmaster surges forward...it encourages just when you need it - normally half-way up Ditchling Beacon, on London to Brighton! Few bikes can do this.
    - Ovalmaster turns more heads than David Beckham..

- A bit heavy...carbon offerings are where to find lightness. But for my kind of riding - I'm 6'3" (1.93m) and 13.5 stone (86kg)- a diet might be where to start!
    - er...that's about it!?!

WISHLIST - Icon product, super quality, great riding, top limit GBP1,500. The Ovalmaster is used for occasional commuting, Sunday recreational rides and fundraising...typically BHF's London to Brighton Ride and other similar randonnees.
    Ovalmaster glides effortlessly over the blacktop, displaying neutral hardling characteristics. Relaxing over longer distances, riding like a tourer, 'til a response is needed...and by the time you've thought of it, Ovalmaster's already repsonded - it's that sharp! Cobbled surfaces enable the titanium to show its class, the ride is truly compliant and confidence-building.
    Upgraded to Mavic's entry level Ksyrium wheels in recent times and what was already good, is nudging great. The bike now surges forward on the hills, due to greater wheel stiffness and less rotating mass.
    Paint choice was Art Deco Red - to make sure it never goes out of date! Ocean-deep, with graphics that are really sexy and brilliantly applied...nothing better. Summed up, does everything well, or very well and nothing badly. Worth the dosh? ...worth a lot more!!

CANNONDALE R600, bought in 1995 and ridden the wheels off...literally, needed replacing in 2001! Very stiff frame, with steep rear triangle, giving good descending characteristics. Downsides include, the rough ride over uneven surfaces and a tendancy to understeer. Stood the test of time and I've always liked it.

[Oct 15, 2004]
    wamanning

OVERALL
    Strength:

solidly built. stout frame. great paint scheme (rabobank colors). great handling/tracking. did i say stout?

a little heavy, but that's not this bike's selling point. if you want light, look elsewhere.

solid bike built to do battle!

a variety of SL and SP tubed steel bikes.

[Dec 31, 2003]
    alakai74

OVERALL
    Strength:

handling, power, finish, soul

I am 6'1" 205 lbs., ride from 150-200 miles a week on southern Californian varied terrain~70% rolling, 20% hills, 10% flat. My last ride was an aluminum De Rosa with carbon fork. Its geometry was near identical to my 03 OvalMaster-but the OvalMasters ride is so much more pleasant. Most apparent when riding over blemishes and bumps in the road. The difference in comfort is staggering. At times, my aluminum De Rosa would make my teeth chatter-not so on the titanium OvalMaster. Difference in power was not so apparent over rolling to flat terrain between the Al De Rosa and the Ti Colnago, but on the hills-is where I get in touch with the frames soul. On hills, I can stay seated longer, and out of the saddle seem feather light! Handling is remarkable when on the hoods and drops-just hug the top tube in any situation and lean. The front of the bike is very squirly, so if you like to play tug of war between the left and right hoods-lighten your grip. Finish is awesome. The paint job on most Colnagos are VERY Italian(loud and electric). Personally, I like it. The quality of the paint is great. Welds are equally nice. This bike is perfectly suited for larger, powerful riders. But I cant imagine anyone being unhappy with one of these gems.

De Rosa, Specialized, Litespeed

[Nov 05, 2003]
    John Meegan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth riding, Fast, comfortable, stiff even for a 220lb rider, and beautiful eye candy.

Almost to pretty to ride

I had been riding a full Dura Ace ti GT for about 15000 mi in the last 3 yrs. and was quite happy. I thuoght I had a pretty good bike. But it was time to upgrade. I've only had the Ovalmaster for 3 days, and have riden it about 150 mi. It is unbelievable the improvement. This is diffently the best bike out there. Smooth ride, even with mavic ssc's which rode harsh on the GT. The Ovalmaster is faster, less tiring, great handling, and absolutly beautiful to look at. If you can afford one don't wait, buy it ASAP, you'll love it.

Titanium GT

[Aug 07, 2003]
    DavidQLD

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ride is impecible, complimented by quality components. Cornering is better than 99% of riders ever need.

Has spoilt me..will now only have titanium after sampling most other types

This bike is everything that its looks suggest, everyone wants to know what its like..well, its faster than me, better looking,and as another reviewer said, has that Colnago wow factor. Very smooth TIMELESS bike that will appeal for many years to many people. These bikes dont age. Whereas a Cannondale is aged by this months model number ie CAAD 7, Ovalmasters are timeless classics that most cyclist aspire to.

Eddy Merckx MX Leader Cannondale CAAD 4 De Bernadi (Master lite copy) Trek Aluminium

[Mar 17, 2003]
    bug753

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great ride, excellent sprinter, the Colnago coolness factor.

Fairly pricey (not bad for 6/4 ti though), Horizonal dropouts (don't know what Ernesto's logic on that one was?), A little on the Heavy side compared to some TI and most Aluminum frames (in the same price range).

I really like this frame. My two previous bikes where a Schwinn Fastback (compact aluminum) and a custom build 753. This bike combines the best features of both of these, It has the stiffness and accelartion of the Fastback with the smoothride of the 753 frame. The handling of the Ovalmaster is impeccable, it is so well balanced and feels really solid at speed. That was one of my few complaints with the Schwinn, at medium speeds if was great but when you got up near 50mph or so, it just didn't feel real connected (this may have been due to the 140 stem, one of the down falls of compact frames is obviously that some people will use really long or short stems which can affect handling). I did have some problems with the horizonal drop outs at first, but after replacing the Mavic skewer with a Shimano one every thing has been fine, however I would recomend tightening the skewer a litle more than you usually would. Other than that the bike is flawless.

Schwinn Fastback, Pfieffer 753, Bianchi Veloce, Basso SL, Bianchi Alle.

[Dec 08, 2002]
    Vern Ellicott

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very comfortable ride. Very fast bike. Have not had a problem with rear wheel set up. Had bike just over one month and have over 500 miles on it. Climbs very well and accelerates like a sling shot. Handles great. Amazing bike. I like the paint and think it is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. I have the Record triple with a 30/42/53 on the front and a 12/25 on the back. The 42 is a nice change from the 39 double I had before. It allows me to stay in the 42 longer than I could stay in the 39 before. However, I have to shift down to the small 30 in the front on some hills that I could make up in the 39/25. Worthwhile trade. I find the bike to be quite light. No trouble shifting into all the gears. I am 5'll and weigh 190.

Faster than I am.

Comfortable, fast, beautiful

Had a good steel, 853, bike with Ultegra parts before. Liked it, but this bike is on an entirely different level.

[Oct 19, 2002]
    Manicmtbr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great Sprinter Great Comfort Great All around Crit bike

Not exactly light - - I am running the steel Precisa fork, but it is painted to match the frame (AD21 - Mapai Custom Paint) so there is no way I would get a carbon fiber fork. Colnago's are not readily available in the color you may like, so if you find one you like, better get it if you can. Teammates make a big deal about the bike - - but let's face it - it is only a bike!

I got the F/F on clearance and acquired a group for the bike separately. The best bike I have ever ridden. Extremely comfortable over the long haul, great spinter, great all day bike. Great Everything. This bike has made me a better and stronger rider. I was able to go from a 12-23 cassette to a 12-21 and could literally feel no difference. The comfort compared to aluminum is great. I cannot believe I would like a bike this much. BTW, I am a large rider and the Ovalmaster is a large and powerful riders best friend. I noticed someone else had problems keeping the back wheel in the dropouts. I found that I had to tighten the skewer tighter than what I was used to doing. I also think someone might have problems if they used a lightweight aftermarket skewer on this frame.

3 Different Cannondale Frames (3.0, 3.0 Crit, and CAAD 3 Frame), Klein Quantum Pro