De Bernardi Thron Deluxe Frames

Beautiful craftsmanship which is hard to find in this price range. A high-performance machine that does not compromise in stability, comfort and quickness. Feel the difference versus any mass-produced bicycle!

[Sep 28, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike frame has the feel of a true italian racer. I don't think it is possible to find a ride like this one in the same price range. With the blue mica paint job and the chromed fork and stays, it is truly pleasing to the eye. I complimented it with ultegra and rolf vector comp wheels. It will ride with any bike out there today.

Purchased:
Used
[May 19, 2003]
Larimus

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks classic - chrome fork and rear triangle, internal top tube routing, threaded steerer. Stiff enough for climbing and fast descending, but relatively forgiving on rougher surfaces. Corners with ease. Did I mention that it looks great?

The decals are not clearcoated and could be a little smoother. I had to outline the lugs in red to get the look just right. My wife thinks I have a problem. Also, of course, it's a bit heavy by modern standards.

I love this bike! I'm not sure if it is the frame, or a combination of the frame and the stiff Mavic wheels, but this is a solid platform. All of my energy seems translated into forward motion. It tracks straight with hands off, but is easy to dive into the curves. I weigh 205 lbs (too much bench pressing in my youth) and there was absolutely no shimmy at all in a curving 50mph descent yesterday. On the downside, it does weigh about 22 lbs. Weight could be cut if I didn't insist on a 540 gram saddle, 400 gram stem and 360 gram bar - but then it wouldn't look or feel so good.

Tommasini SLX, Ciocc SLX, Cannondale 2.8

[Feb 20, 2001]

Strength:

The paint job. Although It is quite striking, it tends to chip off down to the bare metal. The only other weakness is that it weighs a bit much by todays standards.

This bike leans toward the old school rider, however any one can appreciate its dynamic ride quality. It is extremely sure when cornering and supple over rough road with that classic steel sensation.

I owned a Trek with a 531 reynolds frame before this one. It had a severe geometry which made it uncomfortable on long rides. I also tried carbon and aluminum as well as numerous steel bikes. I am not an old school rider but I'll always like the feel of steel.