De Rosa Merak Frames

• Merak is DeRosa's lightest frame at 2.5 pounds! This is accomplished by means of Merak's Dedacciai SC 6110 tubes, whichare custom made for DeRosa.
  • The mega-sized butted down tube and top tube are formed in an angular teardrop shape that features Special ribbed reinforcements. Oversize stays have semi vertical dropouts. The special tubes are TIG welded at the DeRosa workshop in their trademark geometry.
  • The fork is also specially designed with carbon composite blades that are tuned to the geometry of the frame.

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 11, 2013]
    Leon

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, looks, sharp handling

NONE

OVERALL RATING:

VALUE RATING:

Submitted by Preston

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths: Loved the color. Ride is smooth with the aluminum.

Weaknesses: Not much.

Bottom Line:
    I had this bike- stolen over a year ago. Still miss it! Have been searching for it periodically in hopes that it may pop up or someone would be selling a similar frame and size. Bought and built a 2010 carbon De Rosa frame. Love it, but just not the same as the feel of the aluminum. Anyone have one of these frames or know where I can get one?

Thanks!

Preston

Preston Long shot if you get to read this. I have got the gold and black colour like in the picture in a medium frame with full dura ace Mavic kysrium elite wheels I.T.M carbon finishing kit owned this bike for the last 4 years in very good condition. What kind of money are you looking to spend ?..

[Oct 29, 2013]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Loved the color. Ride is smooth with the aluminum.

Not much.

Thanks!

[Mar 11, 2007]
    Tim

OVERALL
    Strength:

comfort, cornering speed, ability to absorb road contours, ability to hopld a 75kg road racer over 2 seasons - without a whimper. Class looks and comments from adoring italophiles.

Paint. But I have yet to own an Italian bike that the paint stayed on...I have had a Daccordi, a Romani, a Ciocc, 2 Colnago and 4 De Rosa...paint on all of them....rubbish.

This is the second Merak I have owned, the first broke in two when some idiot opened the crash barrier in the National Circuit Championships, and I hit it at about 35mph. That was really light, and a great frame - little flex and superlight. I replaced it with a 2004 Merak, not as light, but a great frame - I have raced it for 2 years, and have replaced it this year for a King. The Merak is now my training bike, but the biggest issue that I have is that the silver / chrome paint falls off and needs to be changed by De Rosa - which they have done - I now have a Merak, 2004 in 2007 colours; brilliant after sales service - direct from De Rosa- don't waste your time with the 'principle outlet' go to the factory, if you can. I flew my De Rosa to them, met Danillo De Rosa...they are the absolute pinnacle of what prestige bike building is about. I love my bikes, and none more so that my De Rosas.

Ciocc Airone, Colnago Master, Romani SLX, Daccordi TSX, De Rosa King, De Rosa Merak 2002

[Aug 18, 2006]
    P.T. Reynolds

OVERALL
    Strength:

***Flawless contruction. The frame looks, feels, and performs like it was handbuilt by a master craftsman.
    ***Very stable at high speeds.
    ***This is subjective, but the frame has a masterfully handbuilt "vibe."
    ***Those "who know" cycling legend show a lot of respect to the bike.

***To my body, the ride is harsh. Personally, I like this feeling "the road," but it does tire the body. Mine is a very stiff, full-racing frame/fork (Mizuno carbon).

Mine is the first-generation, all aluminum, gold/black finish year 2000, 53 cm. This bike was designed for high-speed professional road racing. It handles extremely quickly and is very stable at high speeds. Accelerates like a Cheetah and climbs like a cloud. The ride is pretty harsh, but a person really feels "in touch" with the road - I like that.

1970 Chiorda Gimondi.
    1997 Trek 8500 mountainbike.
    1999 Klein "Race".

[Jul 31, 2006]
    Vinnie

OVERALL
    Strength:

cornering, smoothness of ride, beauty

I've ridden this bike for over two years now and absolutely love it. It climbs, it sprints, it corners. I have never desired another bike in the time that I've had the De Rosa. As far as I am concerned, I found the perfect ride!

Calfee Luna
    Cannondale

[Apr 11, 2005]
    Dr Nick

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quite simply you go faster for the same effort. I have several other quality road bikes with similar kit. With the same wheels in this bike is between 5 and 10% faster around my 1 hour 'quickie' route of country lanes when riding at a constant base HR. In a time trial I can do a short 22 minute 10 on my local course without tri bars or pointy hat, etc. Road racing (limited) it is awesome, remaining comfortable over long distances. End of eulogy.

You are joking yeah? I have the soft paint finish. Bit of a devil to keep clean but it looks super.

This bike just leaves me wondering what is so different about it that means you ride up to 10% faster than on other high quality bikes. Staggering.

CAAD 7, Colnago Dream

[Aug 23, 2004]
    jegbers

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, stiff, smooth and fast

none thus far

Have only done 150km over two days but this bike is superb those boys know how to make a bike go fast with comfort and style. Cornering is amazing the only thing stopping me going faster is me. I weigh 85kg and will report on durability at a later date.

Canondale R4000 9sp d/a 1998

[Apr 02, 2003]
    Neil Bingham

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rigidity and balance of the frame. Superb ride well complemented with Shamals. Obvious high degree of workmanship of the frame and beautiful finishing. 11 out of 10 for sheer quality. Campagnolo 10 speed transmission system and comfort of Ergo leavers. Fizik saddle is narrow and very comfortable.

Campagnolo Headset + pedals. Not being able to face riding my training bike any more.

I was a bit dubious about aluminium frames and rode a steel Reynolds 753 for years so buying this bike was a leap of faith. I was not disappointed when it arrived - the finish was very impressive with all the welds very tidy and a beautiful paint job. I took it out on the road for the first time with a certain degree of trepidation as I wasn't sure the ride would be up to the bike's appearance. I didn't need to worry as the bike handling was a revelation. Very smooth and really well balanced and well complemented by the Campagnolo Shamal wheels. Initially I used a road configuration and subsequently put on a set of Deda clip-on tri bars for time trials and triathlons. Handling and balance is great in both configurations. The responsive and stiff frame transmits all pedalling efforts onto the road well and I have no problems with long rides on bumpy roads. I used the bike at Ironman Europe 2000 in Roth, Germany and it was a blessing in grim wet and windy weather conditions for 112 miles. I have over 5000 miles on the bike and it is still as good as new, although there are a few scratches on the paint work due to spills. I would be fairly hard on equipment so it is a testament to both the frame and the wheels that they have held up so well. I wasn't mad about the record headset and have since changed to a cane creek one which is a lot better. I prefer the design of the new integrated A-head headsets to my one which is V1.0 of the A-head thing. Not much I can do about that one. Also the Campagnolo pedals are not great and I think I will go back to Look pedals. I have had many fantastic rides on this bike and I would unreservedly recommend an aluminium De Rosa to anybody. I also think De Rosa bikes are very competitively priced.

Nothing like it.

[Oct 20, 2002]
    Blair

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame finish. Light and Stiff and Comfortable. Smooth feel. Precise and effortless steering. Ascends and descends like a jet.

So far, I've spent too much time looking at it than riding it. It's that beautiful.

Beautiful frame, superb ride. Dura-Ace, Ritchey WCS bar and stem, American Classic seatpost, Flite saddle, Mavic Open Pro wheelset, Look pedals. 17.5 lbs. Just built up the bike, only ridden about 200 miles. The frame finish is astonishing, terrific rich red and blue Alessio team colors really capture the eye. Braze-ons are flawless, no blems anywhere. My immediate impression of the bike is its smoothness and quickness, and jetlike steering. I've been sittin' on Columbus SL tubing for 11 years and finally decided to go for a new ride. After all those miles on steel, I was admittedly a little leery of the assumed harshness of aluminum. Alas! this DeRosa is a smooth flyer! Rough roads are no problem, rail crossings a breeze. The bike doesn't climb, no, it practically floats upward. And descending is extremely confident. I actually went out on rainy day, just a short jaunt to test the machine on some hills. Well while coming down a fast, curvy descent, I unintentionally got the machine skidding a bit sideways. New brakes, brand new rubber, speed and wet asphault added up quickly. The frame never wavered, the recovery almost instant, and remaining vertical went by with ease. Let's do it again.

Trek aluminum, Pinarello steel. I've test ridden OCLV, Litespeed titanium, Ritchey steel.

[Oct 03, 2002]
    Steven

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very light and neutral handling. Descends well.

Very rough ride, like most aluminum frames.

This is my fifth De Rosa so far and I am very happy with it. It handles like all the previous ones that I have had. The light weight is great when climbing, however the frame is stiffer than their steel frames and makes for a bit rougher ride. Having read other peoples comments about weight limit, I am somewhat surprised. I am well over 220 lbs and De Rosa himself who sold me the bike did not say anything. I therefore believe the weight limit is more linked to liability insurance than anything else.

Over 20 years of use of top-end bikes. Most have been 'traditional' steel frames and have included: De Rosa, Marinoni, Bob Jackson, Olympia, Pinarello, Bianchi, Team Miyata.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.