Eddy Merckx Carbon MXM Frames

• Multiple layers of carbon fiber
  • Highly resistant carbon mesh
  • Kevlar layers
  • High modulus carbon fiber

[Apr 22, 2014]
ron on northshore

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, compliant, solid descender

I don't see any

My review is 7 years after the others offered here. I found my MXM frame on EBAY from a Londoner, Frame is pristine, but had to add a new fork because the one arriving with it was too short for me - my LBS suggested a Whiskey fork. This bike with a new SRAM rival groupo, Fortezza Tri-Comps on Ksyrium K10s (new from a shop in Northern Ireland), Kestrel carbon bars and Selle Italia split lobe gelflo SLK on a FSA SL-K seatpin rides like no other ride I've ever had and that includes my last LOOK KG451, noted for like riding on a cloud. The monocoque frame makes for a silent ride - no squeaks or noises from any components. So smooooooth and even dampens bumps when hit. The Master has done it, and made it ten years ago. I'm told it was Oria, an Italian carbon frame builder, that layered carbon all over it. The finish is flawless - my last bike.

[Sep 22, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

It is stable on the road, very responsive, takes fast downhills solidly and climbs like the carbon is alive with each stroke. This size frame is designed for a small person with short top tube and compact wheel base. It fits me like a glove though I needed an 8 cm stem to help shorten the reach. Under 17.5 lbs with water bottles & carbon cages.

None other than with setup and perhaps I coulda got a better price. But I need a real small frame and they are hard to come by without going custom. Here I probably paid a custom price, but didn't have to wait 3 months or more.

I been riding for over 35 years and logged over 50,000 miles on 5 bikes. This MXM will likely be my last, but Oh! what a bike it is. Full Campy Record, it takes a bit of tweaking to get the gearing to work reliably, but Campy pulls through. I absolutely love it.

The new Campy hubs are a breeze to work on.

My previous bike was a Miyata Team Carbon. Full carbon except for the forks which were aluminum. It served me well for over 15 years but got to be shaky on fast downhills. It really doesn't compare with this new MXM, but the last ride I took on it was over 100 miles 2 weeks ago (the MXM wasn't fully tested and too new to take on a mass ride through NYC).

[May 22, 2007]
Chris Fox

OVERALL
Strength:

Power transfer, ride comfort, handling, looks.

Price (new).

This is my first carbon bike. I was lucky enough to spot it on Craigslist in my size, so I seized the day and bought it. Full Record MXM for less than the frameset new!

The standout characteristics of the bike are the incredible power transfer to the wheel, and the handling. The bottom bracket is almost immovable, and I usually run about 190 lbs. There is no flex of any note, and every bit of impetus from your pedal stroke goes straight into the wheel. It can be almost disconcerting early in the season when your power is not at its peak. If you shift into a high gear, it really forces you to drive through the stroke and be in the right position. If you are not ready for the gear, the bike will let you know you're not putting enough force into it by edging laterally in a solid, predictable way. But it demands you are on top of the power curve, because there is no give.

Vertically the bike is surprisingly compliant, which I attribute to the relaxed geometry and build technique. It is more vertically stiff than my Steelman (a stiff steel bike), but not in any way uncomfortable. I thought it would be much more bouncy with the carbon and the tube sizes. High frequency vibration is minimized, as with most carbon bikes I tried.

Handling is sure and solid. It tends to want to hold a line, and snap back into a line after leaning it. I wouldn't call the handling neutral, it's more directed at a straight line and tracks beautifully, but this allows for screaming descents and solid feel in the pack. It is the "anti-twitchy" bike. Also it puts me in perfect saddle position for the climbs.

Visually, it's possibly one of the most beautiful bikes out there (to my eye). Wrap carbon in black, with red, white and blue Domo paint.

Lemond Buenos Aires, Steelman Stage Race

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.