Gios Compact Pro Frames

Gios combined over 40 years of frame building expertise with 21st Century technological advances to produce this modern-classic frameset. The Compact Pro features Dedacciai Pro CroMoly Superlight Special tubing and a unique, incredibly tight rear triangle. The combination provides ideal weight and stiffness for superior climbing and sprinting performance. Replaceable rear dropouts are adjustable for long cruises or hilly ascents. Engraved head lugs, an engraved bottom bracket and chromed lugs complete a package that is a true classic

[Mar 11, 2019]
noahthomas77

OVERALL
Strength:

I’ve owned this frame since ‘97 when i built it in my college dorm room. Laced and built both wheels. It has been a joy to ride. I trained and raced it. I didn’t do as much riding over the last 10-15 years, but recently rebuilt it with new Ultegra 11 speed and its back on the road as am I!! And I’m surprised that almost every ride someone comments on what a beautiful bike, or that they used to dream of owning one. Best is when I blow past a pack of riders on $10,000 carbon monoques or catch the wheel of a time trial rider doing 30 on the flat and hold them for a segment or 2. I can’t wait to get my new front wheel built so I can see how light it is now!! Well how light is a steel lugged 62cm frame ever going to be??! 😂

It’s vintage style so if you want the current bike fashion you’ll look somewhere else.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1997
[May 01, 2012]
peter price

OVERALL
Strength:

very well made frame.and finish is good,the paint job seems to be tough..the ride itself is extraordinary in that it is very smooth over quite nasty roads,and the tight feel is very reassuring in fast descents.

very short rear triangle might not suit everyone, italian bottom bracket threading.

I love this bike.it has old fashioned thin tubes (columbus) that absorb all the harshness out of the road,so is fantastically comfortable. I have alloy and carbon bikes,and I reckon this is better for long audax rides,The very tight rear triangle is the secret,for brilliant feel and handling,and the gios crome front fork with its squashed section is superb.

[Feb 23, 2011]
Francisco Garcia

OVERALL
Strength:

VERY RESPONSIVE ON SPINTS AND CLIMBS. SUPER CONFORT.

MAYBE WEIGH. BUT I DO NOT MIND MUCH ABOUT IT SPACIALLY FOR THE CONFORT OF THE RIDE.

ECXELLENT, FOR ALL YOUR LIVE FRAME. HANDLING AND CONFORT ARE SUPER AND YOU CAN RIDE ALL DAY WITHOUT MAJOR DISCONFORT.

COLNAGO SUPER, COLNAGO MEXICO, CANNONDALE CAAD 9, CANNONDALE SYNAPSE.

[Oct 27, 2009]
zomar aguilar

OVERALL
Strength:

the real tight real angle for superior climbing & sprinting performance (short drive train),and the quality of the pain and chrome....very fine details

maybe the weight...its slighter hevy than carbon frames but can put very light with carbon components.

the best frame that I ever had. superior performance and with campy record. better.

colnago super 1986

[Nov 15, 2008]
nenad

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, build quality, the ride, the Gios blue color. The bike will fit any purpose, from crits to century rides.

This won't be the lightest steel bike there is. But as noted elsewhere, you won't have a feeling of dragging a cast iron kitchen sink up the mountain.

Outstanding bike. Mine is Compact from 1990 but apart from different tubing it's almost exactly the same as the current model (geometry is identical).

What's the ride like? It's terrific. It rides great when out of saddle, and I attribute this to a tighter rear triangle (shorter stays) which provide extra snap.

The steeper angles of top tube and head tube (74 deg) provide a more forward "mash the hell out of cranks" position which works great on a flat and rolling terrain. This forward position does not work against a rider on tough climbs because you will naturally slide back on your saddle to adjust to the hill slope. When riding out of saddle on climbs, I no longer have a tendency to lean over the handlebars like I did with frames with slacker angles. On this bike I am much more centered over the bike as I stomp on the pedals. It's a very quick handler and it takes even power transfer to the pedals to ride it no hands. Whoever chooses to buy this frame should get a matching steel fork.

Even though the geometry is tighter (steeper angles, shorter wheelbase) the ride is nevertheless very comfortable, I attribute this to the fact that frame material is steel using traditional round non oversize tubes.

Build quality: outstanding. It takes some effort to scratch that bike, that's why I have found very few scratches on it after 18 years (admittedly, the previous owner also took very good care of the bike).

Basso Diamante, Basso Zer0.9

[Jul 29, 2008]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

perfect fit for me, smooth ride, stable,quiet,handles well, quick, an all around great riding bike.

none that I can find

Compact Pro frame is a great frame for centuries on down. Good looking Italian craftmanship. A real bargain. When they say steel is the real thing, this is what they're talking about. My favorite bike.

peugeot px10, univega.

[Jul 13, 2008]
grimlock

OVERALL
Strength:

The steel frame and fork let me ride for days without complaint. It feels zippy but still quite forgiving.

At 20.1 lbs, it's not the lightest bike on my group rides.

Super smooth ride. The bike fits me better than anything else I've ever ridden.

Giant TCR C2
Kona Zing
Norco Monterey

[Jan 30, 2008]
Jeff Regan

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful bike, extremely responsive!!

For a SL Chrom-moly frame, there are no weaknesses!

Compared to carbon frames, it's a little heavy.

I purchased my first Gios in 1981 and raced with the bike for years. I purchased a new Compact Pro last Summer and just love the bike.

What a machine! I rides like a dream, very resonsive.

The quality and craftsmanship is far better any other steel frame bike.

Beauty, strength and responsiveness!

Previously owned 1981 Giops Torino.

[Nov 09, 2006]
JGUTZ

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort for those that don't mind a steel bike, and looks for sure.

None to report on the bike itself. Some may not want to pay $2600 for an ultegra equiped bike, but the money is in the frame. Whatever you do don't order the Gios saddle bag from the gios accessories, it looks great on the website but it is tiny and at best you can fit a tube in there and nothing else.

Great bike for the rec. rider such as myself. I do alot of longer rides (50-100 miles) and the comfort level is right up there as the best of 6 bikes i have owned, including several other steel bikes and 2 titanium bikes. I often get off the Gios less fatigued than on my other bikes (doing the exact same ride). I ordered it with the carbon Gios fork only because i had no experience with steel forks, i have subsequently purchased a surly cross check with steel fork and would recommend the Gios steel chromed fork for the compact pro. I would think it would offer a great ride and would look great as well. After 2 years and a couple thousand miles I have not had any problems to report, certainly not any problems with the paint mentioned by the previous poster.

Lemond Zurich, Bianchi Vigorelli, Bianchi Imola, Colnago Ovalmaster and Litespeed Natchez

[Apr 15, 2005]
dkp_1998

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride. Great handling. Great looks.

Rear derailleur cable routing. Weight

Great ride for the recreational rider. Very smooth ride with terrific handling. Distinctive but fragile paint and lots of Italian class. The guys at Excel have been great to work with. My only complant is that the cable boss for the rear derailleur is outside the chain stay and sometimes my clodhopper heels hit it. This frame is a little heavy, but then again so am I (6'6", 235).

Motobecane Prolight (same as Vitus 979)