Leader Bike LD-735R Frames

Like the 785r our 735r is also the best when it comes to racing geometry. Constructed from our new U.A.L. aluminum you get the extremely lively feel of aluminum with the body saving dampening system of our seat s-bend seat stays and bi-oval tubing.

• Example Size: 56 c-t of st
  • Heat Treated Double Butted U6 U.A.L. Aluminum

• USER REVIEWS

[May 02, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Value!! Paint color, not that bad.

Weight, a tad heavy for aluminum. Paint quality, chipping. Could have more slope to top tube. I'm not a fan of the extended headtube. I think have full adjustability is nicer.

This bike is a steal. I was very skeptical picking up the scrap clearance frame off leaderbikestore's ebay store. The yellow and red fade paint looks nasty in the pictures. But for $100 dollars shipped to be it is a deal. It is stiff and has a comfortable geometry. I would opt for a more sloping top tube if it were my design. It would add some additional stiffness and a little more standover comfort. The color scheme really isn't that bad. The read and yellow are vibrant and not mcdonaldsy. The quality is a bit lacking. Chipping is going to occur no matter how careful you are. I would describe the paint as the outside of a large jawbreaker candy. The frame require little prep work, a little grease. My ultegra wheelset fit nicely in the rear dropouts, but my rol volant wheelset did not. There was excess thickness to the paint in the dropout. I just carefully filed it down.

Fetish Penna (al), Guru Racelite (carbon), Bianchi Champione du Monde (steel)

[Nov 30, 2007]
    markkim

OVERALL
    Strength:

weight, stiffness, compliance, price, build quality, appearance.

none comes to mind.

My 10 year plus old steel colnago needed a back up. So, I opted for the frugal route this time. I compared sizing, geometry and the cost. This frame did not disappoint. It is light, stiff and fast. I was very impressed with the ride quality, handling and compliance. The price can not be beat is a BIG plus for me. I can not justify $1000 plus for a bicycle frame. The leader 735R will go just as fast and do everything a frame costing 10x more.

Colnago EL-OS steel frame with campy chorus grouppo.

[Mar 01, 2007]
    Nick

OVERALL
    Strength:

weight, paint scheme (yellow and red), price, performance

none so far

Wanted to build-up a new bike on my own, and hand pick all the components, this was the best option to get a brand new, light weight. With the low price I wasn't too confident that it would be an awesome frame, but the guys at Leader were extremely helpful at answering all my of questions about the frame. Boy
    was I wrong, This frame rocks, very responsive to efforts out of the saddle, it just seems to jump with I throw the hammer down. Bi-oval shape at the down tube and bottom bracket is a well engineered design. The science/engineering behind this feature is decrease the twisting the drive train/bottom bracket goes through when hard efforts are applied. This means less of the force applied to the pedals is used to "twist" the drive train/bottom bracket and more power going to the wheels.

[Sep 25, 2006]
    Mattchew Man

OVERALL
    Strength:

This is a stiff, light frame great for climbing, racing, and even just recreational riding. You won't find a better deal without performing sexual favors.

Sales Integrity

I purchased the Leader 735R as a 53cm frame and carbon fork (with carbon steering tube) about two years ago. My initial impression of the frame was both good and bad. First the frame tubes looked great, the welds looked very smooth. The paints finish looked excellent. But when I put it on the scale it was almost a half pound heavier than they said it would be (based on the frames size). Now I am not one of these guys that lives and dies by the weight of his bike, but how about some honesty. I contacted them about this and they told me I had to weight it on a balanced scale. That that is the only way to get an accurate measurement for a frame. So I measured it on 3 unbalanced scales and 2 balanced scales and they all agreed that the frame was about 2.95lbs. That is a very good light weight for a bike frame, but they had said the 53cm frame should be 2.5 pounds. The fork I bought from them was also about 25% heavier than they said it would be even after I cut it down to about as short as it would ever be cut. I am not upset about the weight of the frame or the fork. I just wish they would have a little more integrity on their numbers. They offered to give me a refund, but I agreed that I could not get a better frame anywhere for the money. And refused to return it. I built this bike up and really enjoy riding it. I still laugh at people who have more dollars in their frame than miles on it.

P.S. If you are looking at buying one I would not buy the one with the carbon seat stays because I have seen a 1 leader bike and several others with carbon seat stays on an aluminum frames that have cracked.

[Nov 29, 2005]
    twaggener

OVERALL
    Strength:

fairly light (actual weight with pedals is sub 19 pounds, which is fine unless you are a feather-weight mountain TTer) Stiff and responsive Great components excellent price for a sub-high end bike

seatpost bonty wheelset but both of these are fine given the cost. the bontys are still true and durable, and the seatpost upgrade didn't revolutionize my ride.

I purchased the leader 735r package with full ultegra in April as a birthday present to myself. Initially, I bought this bike because the components package was so good, that it basically made the frame and fork free. My thinking was that I could alwasy upgrade frames and use the ultegra annd deda parts. I have put over three thousand miles on this bike and I could not be happier with the performance of this frame. It is relatively light and super stiff. It can sprint as well as I need to, and it climbs better than any frame I have ever ridden or tested. It is also fairly comfortable for an aluminum bike. Before this bike I was ridind an old trek 1220 that was, to say the least, a bone shaker. I also tested a cervelo soloist with 105 and that bike had more buzz than a lawnmower. The leader 735r is all about speed and performance without the high price tag that most brand names tack onto race worthy frames. i don't know why it should be necessarry to pay thousannds of dollars for a aluminum frame simply because the geometry is better, especially since virtually all the frames are made in taiwan with the same tubing. Sal at leader bike has really created something for the budget oriented cyclist who wants high performance. Its no-nonsense paint job is actually pretty nice and looks better than most graphic heavy brand name bikes. the only draw backs i can think of this package (aside from the DIY involved if you are not handy with a wrench) are the wheelset and the seatpost. The carbon 1802 seatpost that came with the bike was a bit clunky and didn't dampen anything that I could notice. The velo carbon superlite does make a difference in ride quality, and I suppose it saved the weight equivalent to a handful of cheerios. The bontrager selects that come with this bike are fine for an entry level bike, but they do stand out as the one weak spot in an otherwise pro-sumer set up. I went ahead and built up some stiff mavic cxp30s with good hubs, and they made a difference, although they are every bit as heavy as the bontys, even with the sapim spokes. i looked at a lot of bikes at LBSs, and I was always disapointed in the lack of ability to customize things like crank length, cassette ratio, and stem and bar dimensions without being upcharged. If you know how to self measure, you can get a perfect fit without any upgrades or swap outs. If you are looking for a fast, responsive ride, with durable components, don't hesitate to buy this bike. Sure, I still salivate over every new piece of carbon bling that comes out from the big companies, I just can't justify the enormous expense given the performance quality I have in this bike. The only change i wish Sal would make would be to add the option of a wheel only upgrade. The upgrade options now consist of a pricey package that upgrades bars, stem and saddle as well as wheels. The fizik aliante and deda cockpit are great, no need to change those.

cervelo soloist 105 specialized allez giant (forget the model, but it was around 1600 bucks and didnt compare to the leader) trek 1220

[Jun 24, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight Ride quality Price

None whatsoever

This frame is an amazing deal! Light and responsive, it excels in both climbs and sprints. At 6'4" and 200lb., I found the frame to be stiff with no discernable lateral flex. Moreover, the s-curve seat and chain stays help to alleviate harsh road conditions; definitely an improvement over other aluminum frames I have ridden. As to the finish, the welds were clean and the paint was clear. The blue paint has an amazing pearlescent finish. This frame fit right in during club and training rides. Both the local shop and club were impressed with the overall quality and price of this frame. Also, I am riding this frame as my main race bike. As to geometry and fit, both Sal and Brian at Leader Bike provided excellent assistance. Furthermore, the frame was promptly shipped and arrived in perfect, ready to build, condition.

Trek, LeMond, KHS

[Apr 09, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Climbs like a billy goat. What more can be said. I click in and the bike screams "go fast." Last season was a learning experience on how to shift, ride,and descend the hills safely.This year I am starting to realize the potential of this bike. No need to upgrade the frame. This one will do just fine. The frame is stiff and transfers power efficiently.

Assembly required. This is not for the first time assembler. I spent about 3 days and countless hours trying to assemble this. I am mechanically inclined and even I struggled with parts of the assembly. Toward mid-season last year my right crank arm came somewhat lose at about mile 45 of a 53 mile ride and so I limped it home. It cost me a right hand Ultegra crank arm because the bottom bracket was working against the lose arm. My point is that for the cost of replacement and tools I could have paid to have it professionally built-up. I would figure this into the overall cost of the bike unless you are experienced in the build-up of these bikes. The bike gives a little to much feedback on less that smooth rodes. Maybe the 785 will absorb the bumps better because of the carbon stays. Other than that BUY BUY BUY and watch it climb. It screams to go fast.My value rating is 4 because it weighs more than the advertised 17 lbs. It's closer to 19 which for this price is still nothing to shake a stick at. The frame is super light. I suspect with a few choice upgraded components the 17# range is do able, just not with the current package offered. I weighed it on $400.00 scale.

This review is for the Leader LD-735R. After much review of various products I opted for this bike. Initially I had thought about a Trek 2100, but the component package was not full on Ultegra and this one was. My thought was buy the components and upgrade the frame later. The bike arrived as advertised and was packed wonderfully although in about 500 pieces. They were not kidding when they said it needed assembled. I spent a few days and a few bucks for the appropriate tools to build the bike and then the test ride.

[Feb 03, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, strong frame, next carbon fork and seatpost making a very responsive ride. Components (full ultegra & Bonty wheels) represent great value for money.

Paint job chips easily, but at the price who cares?

For less that $1,500 I have a ride that could cost twice as much. Personalized fitting over the phone to include frame size, bars and casette. Deda bars & stem, Cane Creek headset, Bontrager wheels, Selle saddle and the neat Leader frame, carbon fork and seatpost equals exceptional value. After 1,200+ miles a couple of spokes went on my rear wheel, so I switch to my old bulletproof Mavics. Minor paint damage previously reported by other reviewers. Keep up the great worl, Sal! I'll be coming back to buy another when I get my bonus!

Old Trek loaner from a pal.

[Aug 01, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, component spec, flexibility in initial component selection, customer service

Must build yourself or pay an LBS to build for you, bulky stock saddle, no steerer spacers included

After looking at comparable LBS road bikes (Trek 1500 / 2200, Cannondale R800, LeMond Alpe D'Huez) I learned about Leader Bike and looked into them on eBay. A phone call to Sal helped me spec the bike out perfectly with NO compromises unlike all the LBS bikes I had been considering. The bike came completely unassembled, so if you aren't comfortable assembling and fine tuning your own bike you may want to look elsewhere. Very nervewracking to cut down the carbon steerer but an old MTB stem served well as a cutting jig. I did need to buy a few items to finish up the build, pedals, spacers for the steerer (Leader does not include any) as well as an Aspide saddle rather than the bulky Selle San Marco ODS Gel saddle that came with the bike. Just got back from a 25 mile "shakedown" ride on it and all I can say is WOW. Light, responsive, snappy, compliant and stiff. The bike accelerates very very fast and has a great mix of stiffness and compliance, very similar to the ride of a Cannondale Optimo frame but somewhat more forgiving. The Euro (yellow/red fade) paint job is sharp and clean with no mars in the finish. This is one heck of a bike, especially for the price Leader charges for it.

Trek 1500 / 2200, Cannondale R800, LeMond Alpe D'Huez

[Jul 01, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, paint job, weight, freame alignment, ride quality, very solid headset (some integrateds are a nightmare.) Frame weight was 2.7 lbs. in the 56.

Not really a weakness but a note: This specific frame has more steep seat tube. for me it makes it fit smaller. 74.5 degree. (73 is more standard)

Don't be fooled by the low price on ebay...these frames are sweet. I had a 715r and is was just ok, the paint chipped, frame wasn't aligned well and I needed a bunch of extras to build up the frame, then after using it a while it got soft. The 735r is like night a day difference. I got the frame, fork and headset. The paint is sweet and the frame is stiff and light. The ride (compaired to the fuji team) is much more under control at higher speeds, I race and this is a big issue. The seat tube is steep at 74.5 which puts me forward more, I like this because I can get into a larger head tube to get that perfect 1 spacer look and also have a very aero possition in the drops. I have a longer saddle that I can slide back on for climbs. The build was simple and quick, I had to file around the drive side drop out to even out the opening, but this is a common this to have to do (I work at my LBS and almost all frames, even the top notch expensive are not perfect.) I can not express enough times how much better this frame is than the 715r. 715r had it issues, the 735r is really nice and a solid improvement / great value. I like to ride nice stuff and I race. I am not going to waste my money on frills and name brands. If you get this complete bike on ebay only to sell the frame and keep the components, give the frame a try you might just like it.

Leader 715r, Fuji Team, Giant Compacts.