Lynskey Performance Designs Helix OS Frames

Lynskey Helix OS: The Helix OS takes our signature Helix tube set and adds current component design elements to create one of the most exciting road race frames for 2011. By adding a SRAM Pressfit 30 bottom bracket to this frame

[Sep 29, 2011]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Superb balance, quick acceleration, light weight and impeccable handling. American made craftsmanship in the great state of Tennessee.

Still trying to find one!

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) - once you go Ti, you will never go back! This top of line Lynskey is a work of art. I had a superb experience with both Lynskey and Gran Fondo. I was lucky enough to be in Chattanooga for the 3 State 3 Mountain Century and was able to tour the factory as they were assembling my bike. It was still in pieces awaiting to enter the welding shop but it just made me want to be riding my Helix even sooner. It climbs extremely well which makes my riding buddies extremely unhappy as I walk away from them on ascents. The descents are even more fun since there has never been a wobble experienced unlike on my Trek.

Trek Madone

[Nov 11, 2010]
Lookbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness
Handling
Comfort
Build quality
Durable

Not a light as some of the carbon frames but still very light for a metal frame

I've had two Helix frames over the two years. I rode a standard Helix for a year and a half and now ride the Helix OS. Without any reservation, I can say the Helix OS is simply the best frame I've ever ridden.

By way of background, I raced in the 1980s and early 1990s and now mostly ride centuries and compete in the occasional road race now and then. In early 1988, I saw my first titanium frame at the start of a local road race. I vowed to someday get a titanium frame when finances allowed. By the time I could afford a non-steel frame, carbon had supplanted titanium and I went for a top drawer carbon frame instead. With a nice carbon frame already in the garage, I purchased the standard Helix at a good price as a back-up, rain bike to play second fiddle to the carbon wonder bike. However, my plans changed after my first 50 miles on the Helix, which had the same wheels and components as the carbon bike. Over the summer, the carbon bike gathered dust while the Helix was always on the road. I sold my carbon frame shortly thereafter; it simply was not being used.

Although I initially thought the Helix's twisted tubes were mostly a marketing gimmick, the bike had incredible stiffness yet was comfortable over the rough pavement. Whatever the physics behind the twisted tubes was, the net result was a frame that simply rocked. The standard Helix handled precisely and it was nice not having to worry about stress fractures in the carbon and chipped paint for once. I thought standard OS was my "forever" bike, that is, until Lynskey unveiled the Helix OS. The oversized headtube seemed like a neat idea but having the BB30 bottom bracket was just too much temptation. I sold my standard Helix and finally got the Helix OS.

Simply stated, the Helix OS is brilliant. The standard Helix was never lacking in the stiffness department but the OS is even stiffer. The ride quality is a little more "focused" than the standard model but is still very comfortable on long rides. I hesitate to say that Helix OS is harsher than the standard model because both frames feel very smooth on the road. The Helix OS, with its oversized headtube, BB30 bottom bracket, and racier geometry, is like a standard Helix with extra hot sauce. Yet, the OS is incredibly stable at speed (clocked 55mph down the side of steep, long hill with absolutely no wobbles) but is very quick to react to steering inputs. I use an Edge 1.0 fork that mates beautifully with the enduring characteristics of the Helix OS: Razor sharp handling, stiffness, super ride quality, comfort, and stability.

Moreover, the quality of the workmanship is top notch. The frame is beautifully welded and the etched decals are stunning. Does the frame weigh less than some of those carbon frames that weigh 800 grams or less? No. Will the Helix OS likely survive crashes and look like new in five years? Yes. Is this finally my last frame? Yes (although my wife will probably disagree with that statement).

Finally, Lynskey customer service is fantastic. Everyone at Lynskey acts as though his own name is on the downtube.

Montagner GMO.O
BMC Pro Machine
Helix (standard)

[Apr 26, 2010]
Juanmoretime

OVERALL
Strength:

Very high degree of stiffness yet not harsh.
Beauty that no picture does justice. You have to see a Helix OS in person.
Latest Chris King inset headset technology.
BB 30 bottom bracket.
Laser etched graphics
Getting to work Jack Kopeski, very knowledgeable guy.

Doesn't pedal for you?

First let me say I just wrote a review on my R320. Well I don't have 2 Lynskey's I have four. The R320 impressed me enough to get a Pro 29, then a tt bike and now a Helix OS. I would hope that alone makes a statement. I don't worship brands and there has to be many other elements that are a must to get my business. Quality materials, quality of construction, fair value, the measurements that work for me and almost just as important as correct fit it has to be visually appealing. Lynskey did this 3 times over and with me adding a Helix OS to the stable a 4th time. I received this frame and fork back in January although I just completed it about a month ago due to an injury.

While I could categorizes my R320 as a climbing bike its not although this was and is intended as an all around. In the short time I've had it it gets ridden hard and put up wet. The Helix performed like an extension of my body just like any well fitted bike should. I could tell that it had to be brutally stiff although it didn't beat me up.

I have a friend that is a huge sprinter and when he rode it he came off very impressed. This guy can create over 1,000 watts in a sprint and is now considering one for himself saying it was much stiffer them his "plastic bike"!

Various Litespeed's, Klein's, Specialized and a Titus Solera.

[Apr 21, 2010]
erik christensen

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame stiffness and comfort (they actually can go together!)

Haven't found one.

As a veteran cat 2 road racer for the past 20 years, I've ridden many bikes from aluminum, aluminum/carbon, steel, all carbon, and even other TI branded frames and I can say that none are as impressive as my new Lynskey Helix OS. The TI technology and manufacturing methods used by Lynskey give me what I want in frame stiffness but also a very comfortable ride eliminating road chatter. I just came off a high end carbon frame and the ride difference is striking. All the energy from the cranks is transferred to drivetrain power and nothing is lost in flex. This can really be felt on the SE PA short power climbs where I live. Cornering is tight and precise at high speeds. No frame flex is felt. Overall comfort just cruising is exceptional. The team at Lynskey got this right. Road test one of these frames if you can and you'll see what I mean.

Serotta Legend II TI

[Apr 21, 2010]
Schneiderguy

OVERALL
Strength:

Light as the Look, more shock absorbing than my custom steel frame and fork (could be the wheels on the steel bike)as stiff as a Bianchi 1885 Al.

None Front end is "fast" handeling. Not a problem for me and may be due to XS frame size. I use a 10 stem.

I got the Helix XS frame and fork in Dec. It is an '09 model. I crashed out a Look frame and transferred all the parts and wheels so it's a good comparison. I also have a custom steel frame and fork bike. I have rescently owned,or currenty own steel, Ti,& Al bikes. The Helix has the best featurs and no downside. If you plan on replacing a frameset every couple of years it probably doesn't matter what you buy. If you want something to ride a lot for a long time, I recommend a Ti bike.

mid 80's Paramount, 1990 Tesch, Look 585,Bianchi B4P 1885(good inexpensive race frameset) and Helix

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.