Scattante XRL Road Frames

Seat Tube Angle (degrees): 75º

[Nov 25, 2012]
Leif Byrge-Liebig

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable
Attractive paint job
Stable geometry

Weight
Sizing is different
Paint quality

I have the 2012 model.

My folks bought me this bike because my last 2 training bikes snapped at the chainstay. They were also older. I didn't know what to expect from a frame as cheap at this. It was a surprise though. After i got the geometry figured out, it was able to hold its own. I use it for a training/ winter bike. This bike was built to be heavy. I was able to make it 22.5 lbs. My race day bike is a madone 6 series so the stiffness can't be compared at all. But i found that my scattante could actually corner a bit better and track a little better. It does have a good ride to it as well for an aluminum frame. I had 25 c tires on it though.

Back to the looks though if that is your thing, i did through on a zipp 404 and it looked like a legit racer.

I would race this bike if i needed to. I would recommend getting a decent set of wheels to help with acceleration. I am a sprinter, and even with a race light rear wheel, it was a bit slow in that department.

[Feb 04, 2008]
tj90

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, welds, BB stiffness, paint. The seat post extending past TT is actually nice for mounting taillights and not interferring with seat post adjustments. Quality welded cable adjusters. Replaceable RD hanger and BB threads were clean. 5 year frame warranty. I thought I would ride this temporarily until I had the funds to get something nicer, but after riding for a month, I dont think I will buy another frame for a long time.

These frames are sized from BB to top of seat tube NOT center of TT like performance bike indicates. I had to sand the fork to fit the crown thats included - that was scary and time consuming. Use 1-1/4 PVC pipe to seat race on steering tube.

I built an XRL 60cm to replace my Giant TCR medium. My doctor diagnosed me with shoulder tendonitis and my riding buddy suggested that my extreme drops on the medium were too much. I built this bike up, taken it commuting, long bike rides with 3 mile climbs and 53 mph decents. Im very happy with the weld quality and paint. It rides great - not too stiff - tracks well and does not have much flex while stomping on the pedals with my 215# body. I was concerned that going from a small compact frame to a larger semi-compact XRL would be too harsh but its not. The less agressive rear stays makes easier to adjust chainlines and no shoe clearance problems.

Giant TCR and old school columbus SLX frames

[Jan 30, 2008]
akmott

OVERALL
Strength:

Cost
Predictable Handing
Geometry similar to that of high end bikes
New graphics (2007 and newer are pretty sharp)
Durable

Snob factor (if it matters to you)

Model owned: Scattante XRL Comp

I bought this frame because I needed a second road bike with a geometry fairly close to my Specialized S-works e5...and, let's be honest, it was dirt cheap. My GT ZR 2.0 was just a radical departure in riding position from my Specialized and was also drastically heavier. So I picked this frame up, on an impulse purchase when I saw it on sale in the store for $209 - 20% off.

I call it my ebay special because the components are a combination of left over parts I had lying around and stuff I was able to snag for cheap off of ebay and nashbar. The total cost was easily under $700 because I was able to snag the Titan wheelset on sale for $130 over the holidays.

Wow was I surprised at the result! I bought the white frame with black graphics and because all of my parts were black, it looks pretty damn sharp for a knock-off racer.

The bike weighs in at a shade over 18 lbs., which IMO is very respectable and the fit and finish were pretty quality. I'm heavy right now (200+ lbs/20lbs overweight) and so far I haven't detected a bit of flex. The geometry is exactly what I was looking for and the handling is responsive but very stable. Just look where you want to go and you're there. Overall performance-wise, I no longer dread having to perform maintenance work on my primary bike these days because I know that I have an able back-up.

Not that it matters to me, but the only possible drawback is the snob factor. Even still, I believe I've gotten more nods of approval than smirks and even a few compliments on the color scheme.

Overall it's an excellent second bike and a very good first bike, especially when factoring the cost. If you're like me and can't afford to keep a stable of high end bikes in the garage, then I'd highly recommend one.

GT ZR 2.0

[Jun 15, 2007]
B

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive

- Defective fork.
- Customer service.

I had never crashed on this bike frame, but the store insisted that I must have done something because forks don't shear off like that. They weren't willing to fully warranty it. I am more concerned that there is actually a manufactering defect since I had only been commuting on it less than one year.

I got the Scattante XRL frame as a replacement for another. After nine months of commuting on the bike, the carbon fiber fork failed catastrophically while I started riding home. I got bruises, road rash, and a hand that isn't at 100% strength. I consider myself lucky not to be hurt worse. See photos of the bike:

[Apr 25, 2007]
Grace Charles

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and responsive, no problems with my heavy-set body. Carbon seatpost remedied the slightly harsh ride. The frame is highly true and tracks straight-as-can-be with no-hands riding. Great value.

Graphics; but at this price who cares. Also there were no headset instructions (other reviewers mentioned same) and I had to find them online.

I had this frame for a year now and really like it. It is a very close copy of a higher-end Specialized frame. I ride 100 miles a week and it suits me fine. Sure, it gets second-looks from the brand name snobs, but with the money I saved I bought a decent wheelset and new shoes. Overall, best bike purchase I've ever made.

None. Had a steel framed Bridgestone prior.

[Apr 18, 2007]
Ralph Thompson

OVERALL
Strength:

Good quality, light weight (under 18 pound build wieght). Stiff, light & fast.

Graphics!!

I originally set out to build a flat bar road bike out of "spare parts". The price was just too good to pass up. However, when a friend donated a set of 105 STI's so I abandoned the flat bar idea. I built the bike as a hill climber, compact double, 11-32 rear with an LX rear del & an ultegra front del. I'm using a forte titan wheelset and a set of campus SPD pedels (that's what was lying around). What a fun ride! The Aluminum frame is harsh, so I cashed in some of my "points" and bought a carbon seat post. It doesn't ride like my Italian Steel bike but it's do-able. It is stiff and transmitts power well. I'm a clysdale and ride fast (Cat 4 for life!!!). The handling is predictable. I have 1,000 + miles on it this spring. The bottomline is great deal, nice ride. I'd buy it again.

Torelli w/ dura-ace group

[Oct 19, 2006]
eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff / cheap

Gaudy decals and paint

This thing rides nearly as well as my custom built (expensive) steel frame. This is one of the best values out there. This is a 'best choice' for probably 90% of the serious rec riders out there, provided you are not a decal snob.

[Apr 13, 2006]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Obviously price. More than that, though, the quality of the workmanship, finish, and "out-of-the-box" alignment is better than a lot of $1000 framesets. It is both light and stiff, a good climber/sprinter.

As with all full aluminum frames, it is a bit on the harsh side. Not my choice for a century. The "Scattante" graphics are a bit "over-the-top" also.

After upgrading my "firstline" bike, I was looking for a decent frame which fit better than my previous "backup/trainer/commuter" bike. Supergo was closing out remaining '04 XRL's and I got the frame, fork, headset, carbon seatpost and stem for $200.00. The rest I "cobbed up out of the parts bin." With cages and pedals it's a hair under 18 lbs. The finish and alignment are quite good, clean welds allround. The geometry is much better thought out than many Taiwanese bikes (long top-tube, low bottom bracket, etc.) The ride and handling are more than acceptable, and with the bright red paint, Campy and carbon bling, it looks pretty good also. Probably one of the best deals out there.

Too many to mention.

[Mar 19, 2006]
cthomas

OVERALL
Strength:

PRICE. Finish is sharp. Nice fork. Nice to get a replacement derailleur hanger and touch up paint.

None for the price. Headset could come with instructions.

I bought this frameset for one of my teenagers as they needed to move up a size. I am always looking for quality framesets that are low dollar, and usually buy them off eBay. While I was looking for a "brand", this was too good of a deal to pass on.

I have to say, I am impressed. The frameset came with the frame, carbon fork (alum. steer tube), headset, and seat collar. Nicely packed and shipped. Interesting to note was the frame was built by Pacific bikes (now own Schwinn, et.al.). Fit and finish were flawless, and the package even came with touch up paint and a replacement derailleur hanger. Not bad for the price.

The frame also has an integrated headset, but a cheap one that comes with a disassembled bearing set that you have to put together without instructions. I found the manufacturers website and was able to figure it out, but would have been nice to have had an assembly diagram.

I built it up with an old Ultegra 9 group I had on his previous bike, with a set of 105/OP wheels. Turned out great, and really looks sharp. Colors were flashy enough that he loves it, and the overall build is still very light. He likes the ride quality, but has yet to put anything over 30 miles at a time on it, so hard to say for a long ride.

Overall I am impressed at this bike for the value. Won't work for you if you need a high bling factor brand name on your bike (gulp...like me), but this is a quality frameset for not a lot of cash.

Too many to mention

[Jan 14, 2006]
outofthesaddle

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome value.

Not super light but hardly a legitimate complaint at this price point.

I bought the frame/fork/HS/seat binder for $149 on sale at SuperGo. I built it with Ultegra gruppo and a OP/Ultegra wheelset. This has been a great training bike. I even threw on my race wheels and used it in a couple races while waiting on a new frame. The workmanship is great, welds are clean and the paint is well done. I bent the derailleur hanger the other day and SuperGo sent my a new one free.

Trek 5200, Trek 5900, Cannondale CAAD 8, Custom steel, Marin CX, Redline Conquest Pro, etc.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.