Seven Cycles Axiom SL Frames

"Our flagship model, the Axiom SL is so versatile, it defies easy categorization. Custom double butted tubing offers thousands of tubeset combinations, giving the Axiom SL the kind of balanced performance that suits nearly everyone. Combined with durability and superior responsiveness, it remains a perennial favorite."

[Aug 15, 2018]
amgwagon

OVERALL
Strength:

Seven Axiom Ultimate Disc (didn't see it listed) This is the full shibbang, XX edition, top of the line, $13,000 custom Ti road bike This is my third Seven. First and most rewarding was the MTB: Sola rigid rear with Fox, XTR, etc. Next was my Aerios custom w/ D/A 7700 that was great until a jerk in a Honda rammed me at a light and bent the frame. For 12yr this bike was reliable, comfortable, though despite the "custom" fit aspect, I was constantly trying to configure my fit. I had a custom frame in '91 that was perfect, though heavy 708/753 Reynolds, so I knew my detentions. Fast forward to 2018 and the 20th Anniversary (or XX) frame option with the "Ultimate" in weight savings. First off: this was said to be 9oz lighter than my Aerios frame, but with the new D/A 9710 with carbon wheels and disc brakes, it is 1lb 1oz heavier than my Aerios with Mavic Kysirium wheels and boat-anchor heavy Vector 3 pedals (vs Time Ti/Carbon on the Axiom). How in the world can Seven sell me an 18.5lb bike for $13,000??? I'm the fool, but pushed them for some kind of weight disclosure. Neither Seven or the shop in Greenwich seemed to care about my weight concerns even as I said to cancel my order so I could just scoop up an S-Works bike at 16lbs with a disc... Then the bike delivers and one of my biggest direct comments was not followed: TOE RUB on the front wheel. What dafuq?? So now I need to scoot my shoe back 1cm to avoid rub, and then what in the winter with booties??? Next major flaw was when I put on the bottle cages, the top bottle (on the down tube) didn't slide all the way into the cage despite the cage being all the way north in its mounting holes... again, what dafuq?? So as the buyer of a $13,000 bike, I'm told to go find different cages as there is no industry norm for where bottles fit in the frame. This seems like Huffy-like quality control. Now for the good points: + The frame is rigid, yet forgiving as was the last Ti frame I had + Unlike the Aerios, this frame likes to climb, and feels more like the Pinarello F10 I rode up Vail Pass + The new Dura Ace is simply brilliant. I am not, which means i keep mis-shifting the Di2 levers + New D/A Power Meter cranks are also brilliant, but display a R/L bias as reviews have shown + Disc brakes are great. My Sola had them and have always been reliable, if not heavy - This bike is a pig... shameful to see 18.5lbs for a bike of this price (54cm frame size) Net net: I can't complain at home as my

- Way too expensive, especially if you get the XX option package (not worth it at all) - Take it or leave it attitude by Seven - I have toe rub... I told my bike shop fit kit guy "no frickin' toe rub"... and yet I have it - Bottle cages don't fit unless I looked for just the right ones (limits choices, added weight) - Oh, and weight... this is a pig: 18.5lbs for a 54cm frame is HORRIBLE, SHAMEFUL, and I'm very, very disappointed. This will be the last Seven I ever buy (and it is my third)

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jul 28, 2018]
manorh

OVERALL
Strength:

Other than being a beautiful looking frame, as any Ti frame from any company would be, there's nothing else about it I am happy with and especially for the $$$$ I paid.

I just got my custom Seven road bike/frame and am so disappointed. I was very excited about this bike which I was going to also use as a travel bike, but by the time I got it, I realized that for embarrassing huge $$ I paid, it simply rides like any other road bike. Nothing special at all about it. I clearly stated to Seven I wanted a road bike that I could sometimes take onto gravel, but mainly a road bike. What I got felt completely like a cross bike. So much for customization. All in all, too expensive, too heavy (even with the extra $$ I paid for the extra weight savings), doesn't feel like a custom frame (ie. I need a stupid long stem to accommodate the geometry I need). I paid extra for the coupling feature and a case they sell. Well, no one at the bike shop could figure out how to disassemble the the bike and fit it into the case. The case was ridiculously poor quality and so, so much it being a good travel bike. No one at Seven gave anyone any instructions on how to package the bike so I was on my own. Overall, I SO REGRET GETTING THIS SEVEN BIKE.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Dec 17, 2016]
chip choadman

OVERALL
Strength:

Custom fit, durability, style, heritage, made in the USA. My aging SL is the last road bike I'll ever need or want. Can roll up to any latest and greatest thing bike and be completely unfazed by the next big deal. Whatever, I'm good, thank you.

people like reviewer below ?really? how did he even stumble on to this page, did google link this page to his search for the seven dwarfs bobble head collection? this guy is unfortunately a very typical reaction to high end bikes and their riders. uneducated and ignorant on this subject and (probably many subjects) people feel compelled to spout out their opinions on Sevens and other high end bikes, however useless.

great ride, trusty steed, as long road wheel sizes don't change significantly like my mountain bikes, my old seven axiom sl is what I'll be riding on my next century ride being entertained and laughing by the thought of the previous reviewers' gary fisher leaning against the fence in his backyard with weeds growing up around it. thanks for the laughs!

[Aug 23, 2016]
john agresti

OVERALL
Strength:

I don't have one of these . People who buy custom made bikes do so in order to validate their superiority. I bought a Gary Fisher hybrid off Craigslist for $200.oo. It's a great bike.

People who blow thousands of dollars for a bicycle are weak minded.

Piffle.

[Feb 14, 2015]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, Fine tuned and Beauty

Titanium will never have same snap as carbon but if that is your concern don't bother with Ti….

One of the nicest bikes i have ever ridden, once you have passed the age of carbon race frames that change every 2-3 years, Titanium is the ride for the connoisseur. My frame only was 4400$ due to Di2 routing, 30.9mm seat tube, BB30 and OS head tube. This will get you as close to a carbon race frame but still keeping the Ti riding qualities, i saw on seven's webpage an additional option of OS chain stains but that limits your tire clearance in the back. Seven does not offer a 1.5 tapered fork so you can choose on the free market one to your likes. I also have an older Axiom straight gauge with no additional gimmicks it also rides great but less BB stiffness. I only thing i dislike are the long head tubes that Seven try to sell to everyone, unless you need back surgery or like to ride like a sail in the wind don't let them do this to you, i ended up swapping for a -17 degree stem to get to my regular position. If you are lucky you can get one off ebay from some nutcase that changed his "hobby" after couple years of riding for a steal. If you don't like to be seen as a wall street pimp you can also choose from other custom ti builders that offer same or now even better frames for equal to more $$$.

[Dec 15, 2014]
George Elliott

OVERALL
Strength:

Truly a professional manufacturer. Custom manufactures a titanium cycle that will thrill you. Quality workmanship and amazing design from your body measurements and riding style. Very knowledgeable staff and designers. Can do anything you desire.

None found

My custom Seven Alaris is the absolutely best bike I have ever owned. It immediately felt that it was an extension of me. Riding 4 times per week with a club is demanding on your body as well as your bike. My weekly century ride became a pleasure every weekend. My bike is quick, responsive with the proper mix of comfort. I can sprint like being shot from a cannon and still pace line for the 100 mile ride. Seven builds and suggests your rider position. This is exact to headset length, seat post length, crank arm size etc. After receiving my bike I played with different setups and even went to a pro for a fit test. All that just to realize I did not improve the perfect ride one bit. Seven's setup was just PERFECT! Yo buy a Seven and never look for another bike again...trust me.

[Jul 07, 2013]
ijuf

OVERALL
Strength:

Delivers all the promises of an ideal titanium frame. Fully custom process means you get exactly what you want.

Fully custom process means you need to know exactly what you want, and you need to be confident that that's what you wanted.

Moving from a stock Al frame to a custom Ti frame, I could immediately tell differences in ride quality and fit. Vibration damping, springy, fast and stable are all the attributes of the Seven Axiom SL bike. All these attributes could very well be applied to most other bikes made from titanium. What sets Seven on a different pedestal is its fully custom process. They have at least 15 different questions about your riding style and nearly 10 different body measurements. They actually tweak the Ti tubing diameter and wall thickness to bring about your desired ride quality. I'm assuming they have a formula that calculates each different frame based on the scale 10 ratings that you give them. And here's where the catch is - you need to know your requirements exactly. Most of us have experience of riding stock sized bikes, and we summarize our experiences of likes and dislikes based on that. We then try to apply those likes and dislikes to the custom process. Sometimes we can mislead ourselves and then the frame ends up on ebay. Luckily for me, I spent a lot of time doing research and also thinking a lot about the questions on their form. The resulting bike gets so well-integrated with my body that it disappears. I only feel my muscles interrupting the ride. The key is to balance your current capabilities and requirements with your long-term goals, so the bike can serve you well for a long time. Then communicate all this to the bike fit technician so that you leave some options for changing your bike setup as you, hopefully, improve.

[May 28, 2013]
Jason Bietz

OVERALL
Strength:

Customization- Seven is one of the best money can buy. Get a trusted fit expert to assist you and they will do the rest. Between the design team, and the fabrication team, they are absolutely top-notch. Customer service is exceptional and the whole buying experience is great!

A word on Ti vs. Carbon; sure carbon bikes are typically lighter than most Ti, but the super-alloy is bomber. You will have this frame for life. Carbon? Chuck it after 10 years. Catastrophic failures at 30mph in lycra is no fun!

Price. They are expensive, not the most expensive mind you, but quite costly. What you get though, is a perfectly fitted, durable and timeless framework from which to enjoy decades of safe riding from. Don't like the look? Get it custom painted! It's worthwhile, while any lesser frame would not be worth the paint used.

I have owned the bike for 3 years now (My 12th bike or something.) It's everything I wanted/expected. One word of caution for ordering; custom is as much as you make it. Keep that in mind and you will be pleased. Ask for it stiff, you'll get stiff. Ask for it soft & comfy.... Ask for a tweak to the geometry they initially suggest.... be prepared to accept the results as your own. (My advice? Trust them entirely, they know exactly what to do.)

Serotta Legend, Merlin Extra-light

[Aug 10, 2011]
Dajianshan

OVERALL
Strength:

Seven can turn titanium into whatever you think you want in a bike. My Axiom SL is perfect for going head to head against the carbon fiber bikes and I don't have to worry if it tips over. The dropouts are solid. The bike is just tight. Cornering on a descent is assuringly precise.

I know one day the decals will peel. Fork is a little soft. It is a lot to justify to the wife...

After I cracked the HT on my former scandium alloyed bike, I felt I was at a point in my riding where I wanted to go custom. I was looking for a titanium frame that could be built up as a solid race bike tuned for stiffness, responsiveness, snap, and some road feel. I also don't like the nulled road feel of so many CF bikes.

After considering the field of custom titanium frames, I chose the Axiom SL by Seven Cycles for a number of reasons. I liked Seven's reputation for mastering custom fit. I also liked Seven's wide array of tubing options, which Seven custom orders from the mill itself. A lot of custom ti fabricators simply buy what the mill is selling, Seven actually works with the mill to provide Seven tubes and then Seven custom butts the tubes in house. I felt this would be best for tuning the feel I was looking for. I tried several cheaper titanium bikes, but they felt too relaxed or the walls felt too thin. Too... boring. One was even spongy. Seven could give me a tuned ride in a titanium race bike. I also liked the short shipping times and reputation to ensure I would not have to chase them around the RBR forums if something went wrong. I live 8000 miles from Watertown, Mass. and the assurance of so many satisfied customers and reviewers meant a lot. This is a bike I am going to use and use hard... and not feel nervous about using hard.

After 6 months I have been able to run this frame in races, TT, centuries, technical descents, steep climbs, club rides, and lazy coffee rides. Seven nailed it and nailed it good. I hoped I had communicated my ideas across to the fit specialist and it appears I did. This thing climbs very well, descends with confidence and outstanding stability, I am positioned perfectly to automatically climb around the cockpit and always be in a good position. With the Campy *katunk!* gruppo and Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels, the bike feels as if it had been forged from a single piece and sculpted into a perfectly balanced instrument.

Furthermore, if you are going to pay $3000-$4000 for a bike frame, at least a custom titanium bike can go a bit further to justify the cost. So many of these CF rigs are just purchased and branded at 60%-70% profit right out of the mold. In Taiwan we see a lot of that and it just ruins your concept of CF value. *sigh!*

Owned, Ridden, or Tested Recently: