Seven Cycles Axiom Ti Custom Frames

Fabricated from tandem-specific butted titanium or steel tube sets, our 007 features a lateral tube frame design, the stiffest boom tube in the industry, and extra-plush seat stays. The tandem addendum to our Custom Kitâ„¢ lets us fit both captain and stoker to a "T." Specify brake type, fork model, and rack mounts. For the ultimate travel machine, pack it up and go with the S&S Machine Bicycle Torque Couplingâ„¢ option.

[Jul 05, 2012]
Kent Anderson

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit. I've had two modern road bikes taken through the fitting process, and they both fit well, but neither fit as well as the Seven did the first time I sat on it. Adjustments from there were few, and some I took back after the included fitting session. The value of fit for me has been high -- less fatigue after rides, more flow as I ride, a faster ride, and better training. Another strength is ride quality, which is partly due to the fit, partly due to the materials. This bike is smooth. It's also beautiful, so gets a lot of comments from curious gearheads. Finally, it's something I've wanted for a long time, and wish fulfillment after 10 years shouldn't be underestimated. Check this one off the bucket list!

I really can't think of any. The components are great, the frame and paint are great, the assembly was great, and the purchase experience was great.

A Seven is a Ti dream come true. Is it so much better than an aluminum or carbon frame? Not solely on materials. Given the cost, I could churn through three mid-range carbon bikes before I'd spend the same dollars a Seven consumed. Believe me, I thought about that. But the fit, my friends, the fit. I get back on my old Cannondale carbon, which was the best, liveliest bike I'd ever ridden, and the fit problem becomes immediately apparent. It's amazing what an 1/8" here and 1/8" there can add up to. If you have the money and are, like so many of us, getting older, fit really can resuscitate your flagging enthusiasm.

I was nervous spending this kind of $$ on a bike, but after doing it, I feel like it would have been the wrong move to suffer through 10 years of good fitting carbon bikes rather than getting a bike that fits like a glove and will last 20 years or more.

Cannondale RS 1000, Cannondale Synapse, Trek X01

[Mar 29, 2010]
Marc

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect fit and finish. Great paint job and trim taping.

From start of order process to riding, ~5 weeks. Biggest delays were due to my being out of town and cell phone range, otherwise might've been done even sooner.

Want eyelets for fenders? You can get them. Hard to find roadies now that are high-end that have fender eyelets-without going custom. Anything and everything can be customized. The catch being you must work out exactly what you want. Because Seven will do it.

Custom process also includes fitting and adjustment to get you comfy. Great to work through an LBS for a custom. More interaction to get you to say and express what you want.

Only weaknesses is the 1-10 scales used in their forms. It is hard to go with an arbitrary number when most people are not coming from a comparable bike. Phone interview helps greatly with this issue.

Not for everyone. Price tag is/was high, but for a full custom frameset, with paint included was a deal.

Considering what off-the-peg sized high-end carbon bikes cost though, this is a no brainer, to this reviewer.

Perfect. A bike for me, exactly the way I wanted it. No ifs ands or buts.

NOTE: If doing custom paint, make sure to factor in headset stack height-and tell Seven about it.

None. Nothing like a bike by me and for me.

[Apr 23, 2009]
kgrlaw

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, comfortable, light, gorgeous.

Not getting it sooner.

Damn, what a fine ride!! Bought a used (but not very used) frame, it fits better than any bike before, is stiff at the pedals and very soft over bumps. A quantum leap better than any other frame I've been on (which is a few, but not bunch). Totally impressive frame.

Merckx ti; Look 585; Orbea Opal

[Mar 07, 2009]
luisbujanda

OVERALL
Strength:

The welds, and finish, tailor made to your riding style. (any way you want).

Expensive but worth it a frame for a life time. I think the cost of the frame has gone up a bit since my purchase of my frame in 99'

All I could say Awesome!, this bike is incredible. After seeing the first 7 frame in my local bike shop I fell in love, I quickly traded my Time Carbon Purple Frame, an order my Ti-Axion Custom. I had ask Harash the owner what"s the deal with this manufacture he when on to tell me that I could customize my frame any way I want. After taking down some measurement I place the order, a few day later I recieved a call for Seven asking question about my riding style and so on. 9weeks later my frame had arrived just beautiful welds are amazing, the finish just unbelievelable, an rides amazing. After 7 years of owning the frame I have my frame painting Ferrari Red I figure give my old bike a new look. Hands down the best frame by far, if your looking for something special look no further than Seven you will not be disapointed.

Mondonico Italian Steel Frame (Brain Tubing)
Time Carbon Purple Frame

[Jan 04, 2008]
Crusher

OVERALL
Strength:

You get EXACTLY what you ask for. The quality of the build and the finish are legendary.

It isn't carbon. With Carbon being the flavor of the month; you can appear to the unenlightened eye to be old school while having your cake and eating it too. I beleive Carbon has no soul and this clear finished beauty is all soul.

Fit. I wish I could relate the impact the correct fit has had. I wasn't inches off, but a half a shoe size is an eigth of an inch and you know what a difference that makes. These guys know what they are doing.

This bike is reassuringly expensive. You can spend more, but you're just feeding your ego if you go beyond this.

It is worth every penny.

I read every review the web had to offer. Without a single negative word to be found, I set my expectations very high. This bike is better than I dreamed.

The ride was exactly what I wanted. It is compliant on the rough stuff and solid when sprinting out of the saddle, just as I asked. Not a hint of side to side flex. Seven wanted more information than I had to give for my security clearence. I am glad they did as the fit made the custom bike all that it could be. Even though I had speant years reading every word on bike fit and had used all the tools from plumb lines to fit kits when I swung my leg over my Axiom and rode it for the first time it was as if no bike had ever fit me before. I am in the perfect position all the time. You know how you move into position when you are about to apply power like for a seated climb ? I realized on my first ride I was already in position, no need to move.

The ride can be dialed in just the way you like it, so you better know what you want when you step up to the counter to order. If you are unsure you can certainly get help, but you get what you ask for, so think about it....

The finish is like a swiss watch. I feel like I am riding a piece of fine jewelry. The round tubes speak class so loud the carbon jigsaw frames just bow down out of respect.

I've logged a few thousand miles on this frame so far, and this is the frame I will ride until I die.

Calfee Luna Pro, Trek 5200, Jamis Eclipse, Specialized Aleez, etc...

[May 22, 2007]
Rudy Vanwel

OVERALL
Strength:

Indestructable (It survived falling out of a truck doing 65)

Decals,but they are easely replaced

I got this frame at the dealers cost(returning me a favor)not knowing anything about the brandname. It has changed my life. Started riding alot to get my mind of my problems and fell in love with cycling. moved to colorado to bike more still,met my wife,had 2 more kids and are happier than I felt possible.
All this thanks to my seven. I would not know what another bike feels like nor do I want to.

[Mar 30, 2007]
jon

OVERALL
Strength:

absolutely gorgeous. rides like silk. plenty stiff.

perfect fit, very stiff for such a comfortable bike. Much stiffer than my Litespeed Tuscany. I loved the Tuscany but because of my body proportions (6'2", 225 lbs,long torso, short legs)I could not get it to fit right. After 12500 miles, and a number of nagging injuries, I bit the bullit and got a custom fit bike. because this bike is very long and low extra large tubing was used. essentially the same tubing as the race model. I also had the drive train stiffness increased because of my weight. I had some trouble with high speed wobble when I first got the bike. It turned out to be the fork. Seven LOANED ME A SECOND BIKE, an Alaris Race, until the problem was resolved. At one point I had both bikes. People thought I had won the lottery. The alaris was a 60 cm sloped top tube. While it was a great bike as well, I really noticed the difference between it and the custom fit bike.

Litespeed Tuscany with record 10 set up. Seven Alaris Race.

[Mar 06, 2007]
Len Van Hirtum

OVERALL

I have logged over 12,000 miles on my Seven Axiom Ti which is equiped with a Dura Ace group and typical Seven parts.

The bike has been and continues to be wonderful. I even had two total knee replacements the year after the bike was custom made and I've continued to totally enjoy its riding characteristics. I've even taken my Seven to Europe where companions and on-lookers just simply loved the bike. I toured parts of Switzerland, Germany and Italy. The Italians were very impressed! (That, I think, is saying something)

[Nov 03, 2006]
Jim Dawson

what?

Fast. Stable. Comfortable. Light. Individual. Perfect.

[Jan 01, 2006]
Ian H

OVERALL
Strength:

Super-stable at high-speed, lively feel to the frame, visually gorgeous, silky smooth (never chattery), superb frame craftsmanship, constant admiring compliments from other riders (the bike, not the rider...). The Seven 5E fork is amazing, and is one of the very few forks available these days that has fender-mounting capabilities (without detracting from its visual appeal).

I should have asked Seven for a bit more rigidity in the bottom bracket area of the frame. When I'm standing up, all-out sprinting(which is pretty rare for me), I can feel a bit of flex in the bottom-bracket area of the frame. This is a very small, picky point, because I could have asked Seven for it, and because my frame is not their race-specific model. It is not a major negative point when riding, even during sprints. I have no doubt Seven could have given me more rigidity in the build if I'd asked for it, but this is my first Ti frame, and I didn't have enough Ti comparability experience to flag this as a consideration. Where this is leading is that although the Axiom SG is very versatile, it is still not possible to build a frame that can simultaneously be a top-shelf crit bike and a great century or long-distance(e.g. sport-touring) bike. The two ends of the use-spectrum necessitate their own design characteristics (stiffness/responsiveness versus comfort), which to some extent are inversely related. Therefore, a buyer should identify where on that use-spectrum he wants to strike the balance. The Axiom will still give alot of versatility around that.

I have owned this bike for over 6 months, and logged about 3500 kilometers on it so far (less than I would like, but family and job seem to get in the way more than I would like). The craftsmanship and visual appeal of the frame are exquisite. The welds are works of art, and the brushed finish on the Ti tubing displays the simple beauty of the metal in a very elegant way. The ride characteristics: Silky smooth, lively. I test-rode other high-end aluminium and carbon frames and found them either harsh or dead feeling. Very stable descending at high speed, reasonably light for a "real-world" long-term frame(about 18 lbs with my specified build), reasonably responsive to putting the hammer down, but the front-end handling is not twitchy. I'm a 180 lb rider, and asked Seven for a balance between long-distance comfort and rigidity for shorter-distance competitive riding. However, I had the bike built with a triple chainring, because on the balance, I'm more interested in long-distance endurance riding and climbing. I also had Seven put on the (no-cost) optional fender and rack mounts, along with their 5E fork with the fender-mount option. This gives me alot more verstility with the bike rather than being just a fair-weather ride. It is possible to order an Axiom designed to meet the requirments of almost any point along the use-spectrum. See their website for further info. In my case, the ride is more like a Mercedes sports car than a Formula-1 race car.

Tested a Merlin Cyrene (also gorgeous to ride), but I like Seven's frame welds better, and I like Seven's business and customization approaches better. I continue to receive first-class, personalized service from Seven whenever I contact them. Tested a Cannondale Six-13 which was very nice, but so stiff that I could see it would get uncomfortable over long distances.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.