Soma Fabrications Smoothie Frames

Best Price At

The Smoothie road race frame is agile and responsive. Excellent for stage races and competitive club rides. But also comfortable enough for daily commutes. The semi-compact geometry allows for more standover clearance and fitting options.

[Jan 24, 2013]
lebikerboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Nicely welded and finished. The only frame prep I had to do was to sand the seat tube as there was some paint
burrs around the top. Bottom bracket and head tube were fine. Excellent price for such quality.

Is the Tange tubing really heat treated or not?

I feel like Goldilocks as the original frame I started with was a Klein Quatum but those big aluminum thin walled
tubes were tooo stiff. Next was a Carbon/Titanium frame that was tooo flexy.
The Smoothie is just right being stiff enough yet, forgiving. I've noticed I'm not as beat up after a ride as I was on my Klein.
The price was great too as I bought it from Pricepoint when it was on sale and, because it was back ordered I saved another
10 %!
In summary beats all the other steel frames I looked at, Surley Pacer/Traitor Exile/etc.

Great bike for the quality and price...

[Nov 10, 2012]
Dennis

OVERALL
Strength:

Cost, ride quality, fit and nothing proprietary.

Headset and BB needed to be faced. BB and Rear derailleur hanger needed to be chased.

This frame is the best kept secret in the cycling industry. The workmanship is nice and the ride quality excellent. I have a 60 cm and it is plenty stiff enough. I put a ouzo pro fork, apex/rival group and Stan's road wheels on it and it's plenty light enough. In fact, since I built this bike I haven't ridden my $7,000 madone once. I'm just as fast on my Smoothie as I am on the madone. And if I get chain suck, I don't need to replace my frame. Buy an IF if you have tons of money or buy a Smoothie and take a nice vacation.

Concorde SLX, Madone, IF

[Sep 05, 2011]
James Thurber

OVERALL
Strength:

Cost (excellent), overall quality of welds and paint was superb. Great riding position (it fits me!), good ride uphill, a bit twitchy downhill when loaded with books and clothing (I'm a school teacher) but mostly it's an excellent frame, making a first rate (light) touring and commuting bike.

Chainstays are a bit short - but that's it. Otherwise I have absolutely no complaints.

Frame arrived at Palo Alto Bicycle who ensured all threads were chased and surfaces flat - they were. They installed Chris King headset and the frame set / fork was ready to come home.

Rockhopper, Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker.

[Mar 19, 2011]
Pat

OVERALL
Strength:

Superior Road Dampining. Nice paint, Decals, Semi Compact geometry.

Heavy, but who cares

Bought this frame and fork just for a spare bike to ride. I hadn't ridden a steel bike for several years, mostly riding carbon and aluminum in recent years. The first time I got on the bike I couldn't believe how smooth it was. I took it out for a longer ride on some rough chip seal roads in texas. As my bike entered the rough roads I kept waiting for the bone jarring I was used to with my carbon bike. It never happened, I felt as though I was floating on top of the rough road. I then remimbered that this that was awesome feeling I got 30 years ago when I fell in love with cycling. Thanks for the great ride Soma!

Peugeot, Univega, cannondale, specialized, orbea, nashbar.

[Sep 30, 2010]
Decks

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel, comfort, quality, finish, value for money,traditional geometry. Seriously cool retro look.

Need to face BB shell otherwise the only gripe is more than two color options please!

Bought this to replace a broken 1996 Diamondback Podium 2 that had done great service. Wanted a new steel frame that was well made, reliable, traditional geometry and high quality. And needed something that was durable as I am not as light as I once was. SOMA fitted those criteria. Western Bike outfitters were fantastic and when you are doing mail order from Australia that is important. Ride quality is outstanding, much better than Alu and different to CF. No discernible change in speed between my Spesh Roubaix and the SOMA. For a long day in the saddle the SOMA is the choice. Perhaps the latest CF bike is not the way to go??

Specialized Roubaix, Diamond Back Podium, Planet-X 'Kaffenback' CX bike, Shogun Team Issue, Custom aluminum road bike, Mongoose CF road bike (back in the 90s). Plus a heap of MTB over the last 20 years

[Oct 10, 2009]
uruz7

OVERALL
Strength:

- Smooooooooth
- Good for everything use!
- Speedy and handles with pin-point aggression.

- Flexes a little when hammering up treacherous steep hills.
- Had signs of flash rusting after un-boxing.
- Bike was not assemble ready; required chasing/facing and tapping.

Was looking for a cheap but trust worthy replacement for my harsh aluminum frame. After a couple months of searching for a steel frame which wouldn’t hollow out my wallet, I came across the Soma Smoothie and decided that it would make a good replacement bike *another option would’ve been the Gunnar roadie.

I have to say that the bike took a good amount of prep work before it was even assemble ready. After un-boxing the BB clearly needed to be chased and faced follow by a good frame treatment.

After a bit of frustration with assembly, the bike turned out to be an awesome ride. The pothole crossing around my house were dull down significantly and the bike performs at general riding level; climbs well, accelerates at a descent pace for amber light running.

2nd steel bike owned
Masi Vinere

[Sep 27, 2009]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

As indicated above.

Absolutely none.

Beautiful frame. I purchased the white color, and it has a beautiful finish. Relatively light quality steel frame, that can do anything, from competitive club ride to race. For the price its an real bargain. Very lively and responsive semi-compact geometry.

[Jul 04, 2009]
Ryan W

OVERALL
Strength:

Great power transfer, loves to climb, smooth on the decent, easy build, very light (lighter then my 853 road bike).

Kind of springy when you really get on it, can feel the frame flex over the length of the bike, and a little side-to-side bb action. Very small.

I've been thinking of picking this frame up for a couple of years, since retiring my Lemond Tourmalet, and I'm so happy that I finally did. I've been riding cross bikes for the past couple of years, and forgot how great a road bike is.

The Soma was a easy build, thanks to thoughtful design. Used parts I had laying around.

Ridability, fantastic. Comfortable bike, but when time time it flies,--its a climber at heart. I was really surprised at how great the ride is. Buy this frame if you're looking for a great, cheap, steel road race bike.

A handful of Lemonds, a Bianchi Eros.

[May 14, 2009]
houseoffubar

OVERALL
Strength:

4.75 lbs in 60cm. Not a feather, but good enough. looks nice (from a bit of a distance) I like the color, the shape of the frame. the tube diameters look good, and I like the subdued graphics

mediocre welds at best. (I'm a welder)VERY thin, and easy to chip paint. It seems you should not have to pay extra to face the head set, and bottom bracket. I know this used to be common, but shouldn't it be finished???

Well I'm super bummed! I looked forward to having my first steel frame for quite a while. My carbon frame cracked, so I looked for a nice steel frame to replace it with. I found the Soma Smoothie, and ordered it in pearl white. I had to wait a month, as it was back ordered. When it showed up, I was stoked!
I was a bit disappointed, as the welding looked rather rushed, and not up to the standard of a $400 frame. There was some splatter from the welds, that was painted over, and looks like crap (should never happen with a TIG welded frame)
The paint in rather thin, and shows through in places. I had to have the head tube faced, as well as the bottom bracket, as they were not close to flat.
I decided to live with this, and put it together anyhow, although I considered returning it. I was very excited about this bike, and spent a lot of money to make it nice. I installed the new Chris King head set, the Dura Ace derailleurs, ETC. getting over my disappointment as I went, until I realized the never welded on the rear derailleur cable mount, there is nothing on the chain stay at all. Well it is going back now, and I will have to wait another month for a new frame. I will not be a Soma product. I really wanted to be a fan, but ....I never even got to ride it!

My first steel frame

[Nov 13, 2008]
fab4

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, tange prestige tubing, sloping geometry.

Weight. But who cares?

The frame is sweet. It's not the lightest but the frame is stiff and very smooth. It's also very responsive and lively. I've ridden carbon, aluminum, ti, and mixed materials but the ride of a steel bike is very unique in my opinion. Every cyclist needs to ride a steel bike at least once in their lifetime.

Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Litespeed, Lemond, Scott, Orbea, Airborne, Giant, Bianchi, Colnago etc...

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.