Steelman Cycles Stage Race (SR) Frames

-Steel frame w/carbon rear $2100

[Aug 25, 2019]
David Coon

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely lightweight but agile,balanced and rides like a two wheeled rocket.

Only complaint is the paint is peeling off but not a big problem.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2006
[Jan 09, 2008]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

"Steel is real". I still feel fresh at mile 90 of a century. Rolls over rough pavement while smoothing out the chatter and projecting confidence in the corners. Custom built. Brent takes the time to get to know you and your riding style and then just nails it. My Steelman feels like a natural extension of my own body unlike any other bike I have had, and I have had plenty.

Brent Steelman does not compromise on anything in my experience. There will be a lead time and you'll wait a little, but that will be a distant memory after the first ride.

As a junior racer in the Bay Area I always longed for a Steelman. About 15 years and several bikes later I finally took the custom plunge and got one. That was 6 years ago as I write, and I haven't looked back since.

Trek racing bikes, Zunow racing bikes, Bridgestone RB1, Concorde SLX, Giant TCR, Klein Quantum

[Jun 05, 2007]
dessert1st

OVERALL
Strength:

- light (18 lbs with Campy Record triple)
- lively
- smooth
- perfectly balanced handling/tracking
- perfect build quality

- none really

I purchased a Stage Race frame from Brent. Brent is a great guy and is very patient. He gives you a fitting and mini tour of the shop (which for me was half the fun).

The first day, I had stayed up the entire nite before assembling the bike, then road 110 miles on it. Man was I sore, but it was because of the seat, not the bike.

It's a shear blast to ride. Coming down my favorite ride (Page Mill Road) is challenging as the road is steep, has tight corners, and is pretty rough in sections.

But the bike goes where exactly you point it. And it really soaks up the bikes. I'd have to say the handling and ride quality is superb.

The bike has Campy Record which just compliments the overall feel. It's a real gem.

Own other steel and aluminum bikes (Gitane team bike, Colnago, Bridgestone MB-1, Redline, GIOS compact). No carbon fiber in this family.

[Oct 12, 2004]
FrameRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, durability, ride, appearance ~ in no particular order.

Waiting for my frame was difficult, but waiting for anything special is difficult.

I purchased my Steelman based on the recommendation of a co-worker who's a former wrench ~ and another co-worker who threw down for his own Steelman. I had been looking at the Trek OCLV bikes & had a good test ride on a 5900. Something seemed "plasticy" about it even though it had a great ride. I had an excellent fit on my previous bike & so I drew it up on my CAD package. I had a very short top tube that off-the-shelf bikes couldn't duplicate. My visit with Brent was a lot of fun. He evaluated my fit (and agreed it was good), then looked at my drawing. he made further suggestions which I accepted. Brent went into a lot of detail describing different tubes & they would affect the ride. Construction is first rate. The frame is perfectly aligned & the welds are among the cleanest I've seen. (I have looked at a lot.) The frame was easy to build up. Flash forward 3000 miles. I am a happy camper. The bike handles beautifully. Tracks straight & clean. I recently completed a centruy which had a descent where I hit & sustained 50mph. I was able to track the yellow line at that speed with no problem. My Stage Race carves through corners ~ even rough ones ~ & dumps me out on the other side right where I want to be. My first few rides I went looking for rough pavement becasue the frame soaked it up so well. The bike climbes well. The larger chain stays & laterally ovalized down tube really stiffen up the bottom bracket area. I don't claim to defy gravity when I climb, but my ST is a vast improvement over my previous bike. In short, this bike rides like a champ, fits like a glove & has a classic, lean appearance. For those of you who think steel is retro, try again. A custom ride made with the new steels is incomparable.

Schwinn Paramount 1987, upgraded with a Kestrel fork & Ultegra 9-speed. Brief rides on all the other usual suspects.

[Aug 31, 2004]
stoutag

OVERALL
Strength:

everything

nothing

For years I read the reviews on Brent's bikes. At this point my thought is what can I say that hasn't already been said. between all the complete bike reviews and frames there were something like 60 reviews in total and not one person had given anything less than a perfect rating. Now here I am 1000 miles later on my very own Steelman Stage Race, and they were all right. Don't ask me how, thats why he's a master, but this thing will NOT flex in the bottom bracket. I run single-speed solely and tall gearing, and no matter how hard I've hammered up the various hills around It doesn't flex. Now, for the Steelman magic, despite all that stiffness this thing rides like a dream. I can't believe the way it smooths out the road. It is such a treat to RIDE that I can honestly say at this point that there is absolutely no reason why at any price I would consider any other bike. I love it. I cant speak for the powdercoating through their normal operation since I got mine done through Spectrum in Colorado Springs, but the frame itself is truly amazing.

[Apr 27, 2004]
mohammer

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong yet nimble, comfy steel ride. Great geometry.

None worth quibbling over

This is my second Steelman (see previous review on my crashed Dedaccia one). I've logged a few thousand miles on it, and am still amazed at how responsive, fast and comfortable this bike is. The carbon fork is a great addition, lightening it up a bit. This bike tracks beautifully, absorbs the worst the road can handle, sprints and climbs with agility.

Bunch of mass-production bikes; Nothing really "similar."

[Mar 05, 2004]
dogma90

OVERALL
Strength:

Elevates the rider rather than being elevated BY rider.

Too good to be appreciated by those unworthy of its stature.

A peer with no peers. This machine is sublime yet bold, compliant yet responsive and artful yet aggressive all in one singular masterpiece. Mr. Steelman does not build bikes. He is an artist. His canvas is the road, his brush is his torch and his paint is steel. With these, he creates works of art that flow down the road in masterful strokes...

Litespeed cookie cutter titanium Specialized soul-less aluminum

[Aug 21, 2003]
pmiddlebrook

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is built flawless and rides smooth as silk with durability and beauty.

ZERO.

Having gone from a real Italian Cinelli road bike to a Trek 5200, I had some hard questions that needed be answered. I was under the thought process that carbon is the only way to go which is a misguided belief. I had a Trek 5200 Carbon and was unhappy with the feel, ride, and bike. I was told from a few sources that really know biking discuss the Steelman bike. I listened and did not respond for about a year. I thought they were old ideological extremists. I went to the site and read about Brent Steelman and his craft for building bikes. I decided to dump my carbon and buy the Stage Race 853. The bike weighs around 18 ILBS tops and looks as good as the Mona Lisa. I still would not trade it for the painting. This bike has lived up to its reputation and more. I took the bike for a quick first ride and ended up riding a 60 miler on a Sunday afternoon. The bike was pure and true on the flats and climbed without any hesitation of gravity taking over. I climbed out of the saddle and flew up the hills faster than ever. Just as important, on the decents the bike felt stable and fast. That was not a luxury on my carbon. The next day I felt great which was against traditional thought of pounding the Sonoma County roads for hours on end on a Steel Frame. Brent Steelman knows his craft and if one ever gets a chance to acquire a Steelman you will never look back with questions. You will only have answers. The Stage Race is great for road races and riding on Sunday afternoons. The Stage Race fits better than any other bike that I tested. I would have no hesitation on saying that the Stage Race is as good or better than any Colnago, Trek, Landshark, or any bike made on US or International soil. When riding the bike it becomes part of you. You will be amazed on the stability, strength, quickness, and speed that the Stage Race offers. The welding is flawless with attention to detail. The geometry is made for a human not a computer simulation. I have had riders come up to me and just stair at the bike without words and become enamored with the frame and looks of disbelief. I must confess that I have no association with the company or have any economic motivation to position my statements. All I can say is this bike is the best thing that I own besides my wife and two children. This bike has soul and purity which is a rarity with today's production volume focus that sells more sizzle than steak. The Steelman is the Filet Mignon and everything else is a Pork Sirloin

Cinelli, Colnago, Trek OCLV.

[Aug 04, 2003]
Scott Duquette

OVERALL
Strength:

light, compliant and efficient. Turns heads. No nonsense and Brent Steelman is true to his craft. It's steel. Can I have a Manzanita?

finish quality

Now that the honeymoon is over let me give you an honest review. Pretty light for steel, high cool quotient, stiff enough to race(Stiffer than a LandShark). Below average paint(who cares unless your a prom queen). I bought this frame after I ran my Serotta into the garage and couldnt afford to replace it. The SR was a leftover. Brent himself took care of me. I used to have a criterium rig and a road race rig but now find myself exclusively pulling down the Stage Race. It does both. Need to make up places on the last 2 corners and put yourself in the mix...Take the inside route over rain gutters and sewer holes cause this bike can. The SR just soaks it up. So it can get you there but then what? Not to worry...this frame leaps forward when you grit your teeth. No worries about contortion. The bottom bracket can take whatever you can dish out. A pleasure to stand up on. Without considering price or weight I'd give my old Serotta the edge simply because its smoother and finish quality is second to none but who doesnt consider price and weight?

Serotta, Cannondale, Nevil, Landshark

[Apr 08, 2003]
gcowan

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel, yet light. Seems to really absorb all that the roads throw at it.

None that I'm aware of, but I'm relatively new to riding.

Excellent frame. Light, sturdy, quiet. Everything my bike shop owner said it would be, and more. Beautiful craftmanship.

Bianchi Eros (1999).