Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

Best Price At

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

[Oct 04, 2018]
hyzq25

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought this bike new summer of 2018. It is light and comfortable to ride.

I keep having trouble with the gears (rubbing derailleur in multiple gears). After taking it back to the bike shop several times they eventually told me it is just the low quality of the parts used for the gears. I would have expected better from Giant/Shimano.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Aug 29, 2018]
Daneyell03

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought my 2012 giant escape 2 used off of Facebook and upgrading to this hybrid bicycle from my 2010 giant Sedona st mountain bike was an extreme delight, I am utterly pleased with the comfort, speed and light white frame which makes it easy for me to get it in and out of my studio apartment, this bike is truly a phenomenal bike and a must-have for any avid cyclist

The only problem that I have encountered with my 2012 giant escape to hybrid bicycle is that I don’t get enough time to ride it and seeing I work full-time 😢

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2012
[Nov 17, 2015]
Whitney Prescott

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, proven components. I have had no problems with anything.
Great looks for a commuter bike: Flat top bar, hidden cables, clean looking, non-glossy paint, aluminum frame.
Rides lightly, doesn't feel heavy. Good brakes.

Nothing important. Seat is maybe a little too spongy, and feels a bit "bottomed-out' (no pun intended) after about an hour- and I only weigh 150- but(t) not unbearable. :)

A "fast" commuter bike. I commute 28 miles round trip, twice a week when able, year-round. Mixed terrain. I changed the 32mm stock tires for 28mm Gatorskins for less rolling resistance and better flat protection, but the stock tires are fine for city. The 700mm road wheels ride lightly and accelerate well. For a simple commuter bike, it feels like a beginner road bike (I have a high-level road bike, and I am amazed how this compares, all things considered.)
I chose the upward-slanting stem to raise the flat bars up for more comfort, since this is just for commuting. Very comfortable.
I think it is a great all-purpose bike, especially since you could add racks, etc. for touring.
Very well built: a solid, long-term keeper for me.

[Oct 16, 2015]
Rafi M

OVERALL
Strength:

-Holds the rider well at fast speeds (15+ mph) over bumpy terrain and potholes in city streets.
-Pretty fast and accelerates well downhill
-Enough gearing combos to climb steep hills with less effort
-Gear shifts very smoothly after getting used to it
-A light bicycle for a commuter
-Faster than most commute bikes
-Tires last longer than expected and are responsive to the road in most conditions.

-shocks and vibrations on rough paths, so the rider will feel the bumps especially at fast speeds
-Accelerating to top speed on flat ground can require a bit more effort than a dedicated road bike.
-stock seat can be tiresome on the glutes during long rides, but rider can grow to tolerate the lack of comfortability over time. Not really a serious problem.

I bike to school everyday and my Giant Escape 2 has already covered about 1,200 miles. I went for an upgrade for the wheels to switch with a more durable and thinner set just so I can guarantee experiencing less tire pinches and blowouts from riding over glass and sharp objects. I tend to pass most commute bikers and also am able to keep up with cars some of the time on flat ground. For the money that buyers pay for this bicycle, it certainly is a bang as the features and quality it has can at least give the rider a satisfied grin. Stock setups are fine with this bike.

[Aug 24, 2015]
Benjamin

OVERALL
Strength:

Bang for the Buck, comfort, all around riding capability, smooth click button shifting.

So far Zero and I've had the bike for 6 months.

I purchased the Giants Escape City. It's pretty much identical to an Escape 2 with fenders and a rear rack for panniers. I bought this bike for a 24 mile a day round trip commute to work and back. Having not ridden a bike in over 15 years I had no idea or clue what I needed. With a little reseach I decided on the City Escape model because it came with the Pannier rack and fenders, and boy on boy I am glad I did. This Bike has been a dream come true and has been everything I wanted and more. I highly recommend this bike to anyone one who is looking to commute to work or just ride around your town checking out the sights and sounds. A+

[Aug 20, 2015]
Jbyd

OVERALL
Strength:

Did some research on other more expensive brands. My Giant Escape 2 is by far the best value. I love this bike. I ride about 400 miles a month for fitness. This bike has exceeded all of my expectations. I am 6'5 and the XL fits me perfectly. I had some chain chatter up front and experienced some phantom shifting in the rear after about 100 miles. My LBS quickly took care of this it appears that the new cables stretch a bit. Riding this bike is quiet and effortless. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good value on a dependable bike. I have put approximately 700 miles on since my purchase and have had no other issues.

None to speak of...I keep my drive train clean and lubricated and have had no problems. The bike shifts perfectly and the bike is a dream to ride.

I almost pulled the trigger on one of the higher priced competitors. My brother suggested I try Giant. I am glad I did. I love it!!

[Jul 16, 2015]
greg3674

OVERALL
Strength:

Surprisingly light, XL frame is perfect for 6'2" me, looks good without being flashy, great value for commuting and just enjoyable evening / weekend riding. The stock seat is comfy enough for 30min rides when wearing bike shorts.

On one particular bump during my rides, the rear shifter jumps between gears - for example, I'm on the 5th, and when I hit the bump while pedalling it'll shift to 4th for a moment and then back to 5th, all by itself. It's very brief - a second or so - and only on the one bump. Oh, and the handlebar isn't same-size from center to grips (it's fat in the stem clamp area and tapers down to normal after an inch or two). While it looks nice, it makes attaching stuff like lamps and computers tricky because you have to avoid the zone where it tapers - either clamp on the fat side, or the normal side. You lose an inch of useable bar area because of that.

I have a 15-year-old mountain bike (Gary Fisher Big Sur) and a 14-year-old road bike (Cannondale R600), and as great as those bikes are, they suck as casual rides or commuters.

So I managed to justify spending $507 (after taxes) on the Escape 2 in XL. Originally I was going to get the Escape 3 at a different store, but a 10%-OFF sale at Fresh Air made it more sensible to get the Escape 2. There were only two XL-size bikes left in the city, so that was the end of my choices in July!

So far, the bike is stock - I just added a Velo 7 computer and a set of Torch lights. I tend not to swap parts out unless they're totally awful or broken. So, keeping grips and pedals and seat as-is for now. Being a commuter, I don't see myself changing to SPD pedals anyways.

First ride on the bike felt weird - the bike (XL size, remember) is HUGE compared to either the mtb or roadie. But it's fast and very manageable. The shifting is good, the stock tires aren't noisy, and there's no rattles from cable housings.

I've done a few rides on it so far, and I like it quite a bit - especially considering the price that I paid for it. Hopefully it'll be just as good after 1000km. And by 2500km, it'll have paid for itself since my truck uses a lot of fuel to get me to work and home! This Escape 2 should do the same job AND have the benefit of shedding my fat.

[Jul 11, 2015]
jonathan

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight bike at 11.4 kilos , looks cool , nice matt black with blue , cables in the frame is a nice touch , brakes that stop you and the bike , good tyres for city use , good bike to potter along the road but can go fast when you want to

the Altus shifter isnt very good , when i am in gear 7 /8 i can hear a grinding noise , great in 6 but upper erhhhhh

Good light weight bike for the money , I payed 425 euros which i thought was ok , the bike shop ( la roulle Giant dist in Nice ) set up the bike well and only had to go back the next day to ask what I had to do to get a bike that worked , lots of shoulders up and down and the fixed the problem of grinding gears in 7/8 but it came back. They sid if it kept up they would change for deo shimano or talk to giant , i did suggest talking to shimano , i dont know if they would or not

[Jun 30, 2015]
al

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight

Cheap components, shifting is pretty bad

I will not recommended

[Jan 03, 2015]
marc7654

OVERALL
Strength:

Good general purpose bike.

Could maybe use better tires.

I purchased an Escape 1 in 2013 to commute to work. The 1 does have 9 speeds over the 8 speeds of the Escape 2 and a carbon front fork. The group set on the 1 is a little better but most aren't likely to notice any real differences. All of the Escape models, except the RX composite, allow for rear rack mounting. The 2 and 3 models also have facility to mount a front fork rack . Any of the Escape models make a fantastic commuter or first bike. I regularly used mine on longer 20 + mile easy rides and even in hills. The Escape line makes a fantastic general purpose bike. The stock seat is fairly good too. I did put 28mm road tires on mine and it does ride a bit easier than with the stock 32mm treaded tires. A set of 28mm 4 season tires would be perfect.

• Available At